Newb with questions about scripts or plug ins?
Question 
Several questions/issues:

1 - What is the difference between scripts and plug-ins?

2 - The scripts I have are all over the place. When I run XBMC Scripts installer script I get a nice menu of a lot of scripts. At the bottom of the screen is a "description" of each, some are multiple pages, but I can't page forward at all?

3 - CNN News script reads "fetching video" but nothing ever happens, I have to reboot.

4 - Consumption Junction script runs but no results and I can't get back to scripts menu.

5 - Google images runs fine but I can't get back to main menu.

6 - I've read about web browser scripts but I don't find them in the lists.

7 - Easy read tutorial about "user" side of scripts and where to get them?

Thanks for any help.
Scripts and plugins are 3rd party addons. If they don't work, it's generally because there's a bug in the script itself.

Plugins are effectively "directory listing" services - they allow XBMC to retrieve a directory listing from a 3rd party website and so on. They're not (in general) independent windows like scripts can be - they effectively just return a directory listing for XBMC to display alongside your music and video listings.

Where to get them: I believe there's a new SVN being setup for xbmc addons - search the forums for more information.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Where to get them: I believe there's a new SVN being setup for xbmc addons - search the forums for more information.

Thanks Jonathan.

What's an SVN?
You really should read before posting questions. google and read the online manual / wiki
Nick8888 Wrote:You really should read before posting questions. google and read the online manual / wiki

thanks for the "help" but i've already done searches for SVN and just got more confused so i asked. care to help me?
Google for "SVN" yields

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_(software)

It covers what SVN is pretty well.

The folk that setup the SVN for plugins + scripts can probably assist you further in how to access it.

If there's no documentation about it's because noone has written it - you might be interested in helping out in that regard.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Google for "SVN" yields

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_(software)

It covers what SVN is pretty well.

The folk that setup the SVN for plugins + scripts can probably assist you further in how to access it.

If there's no documentation about it's because noone has written it - you might be interested in helping out in that regard.

got it - way over my head! thx.
It seems hard but it really isnt. I still don't fully understand it but I can use it for my needs.

From memory..
1. Download tortoise svn
2. Install it
3. Create a new folder and right click it.
4. Click tortoise svn
5. somewhere there will be a place to add the svn address
6. you click update or something along those lines and it will download the new files

basically it saves you from downloading all the files. Instead it will only download the new files or files which have been modified.

From my understanding SVN is a way of sync'ing folders.

And in future, Id appreciate it if you werent so rude. I took the time to give you an answer to your question (though not directly).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newb with questions about scripts or plug ins?0