• 3(current)
WIP Aeon 2 (Kodi Matrix/Leia/Krypton)
I'm in. The great old aeon nox taste is coming back!!
Peppe
Welcome back! You truly were a game changer back in the day.
(2016-12-26, 13:24)titidel Wrote: Yeah !!! It's your Aeon skin that made me switch from Meedio to XBMC! Welcome back...

Just to show how ground breaking Aeon was, this Aeon Mod is now MeediOS's default theme I believe Wink

Nice ! Will it have support for live tv /pvr ?
It's the legend, DJH. I've been hearing about you since I fist became a part of this community and, frankly, I'm a little bit star-struck Smile

In terms of your screenshots, it follows my own design-preferences for clean and simple first and foremost. My only comment is that the background on the home menu items might be a little too-clean and simple - which is to say that a little bit more of a background behind the main menu items might help readability.

In general terms, and concerning the comments along the lines of 'yet another horizontal menu' - the truth is that this has been proven in skin-after-skin to be a very usable solution. Whilst there may be more creative ways to do the home screen, unless you already have an idea for doing something completely different I'm personally keen to see what your refined version of something-that-works looks like.
I second that I have looked at alot of the skins... Just to see what is tried and true... You have 3 home menu layout that are most used that's horizontal vertical and tile l... And from what I have seen my self the way the skining work is basically they are the only choices you have. And it works well. Looks good keep it up DJH.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
Thanks for the kind words, folks. Thanks also to the ppl who kept the Aeon name going all these years. It's only because it was still topical around here that I felt this update was worthwhile. And thanks once again to Dan Reid, who's been brilliant getting Colorbox to do a few new but necessary things.

I wasn't entirely sober when I put the OP together, so I'll explain things a little better now. (Though I'm not entirely sober now, either, so, um, yeah.)

The thing I really want to do with this new version is see how much of the 'complete' Kodi experience I can strip away to make Aeon clean and simple. Kodi can feel quite labyrinthine at times, whereas I'd prefer to use something where you never have to think about where you are or what button you have to press. For that reason, Aeon will be a pad/remote-driven living room UI with no dedicated mouse support. I won't rule out adding stuff in later on, but the official line is that it's just the basics, with one view type for any one context.

Material design is very good for Aeon. It means I can make the skin essentially textureless, which for something like the home screen means it can be more invisible than ever before. It means I don't have to use any skeuomorphism or other such graphics for the sake of it, which makes for a purer and smoother design process. And the skin will run at 4K, obviously, without any additional work.

I want the animation in Aeon to be extremely fast, to the point where there's often no animation at all. A mix, then, between instant movement of the browser and very subtle effects for things like panels.

You'll notice there are already certain 'anchors' in place, much like the original Aeon: elements which persist across multiple screens and never change position (though they do now change colour). I'm not going to try and force those things where they don't belong, though, so don't expect to see 'now playing' info on every page. Indeed, I want to really cut down on the more perfunctory elements of modern media centres, especially in terms of meta data. There was a point during the original Aeon where it felt like there couldn't be enough media flags dotted all over the place, but that time has passed. I don't think user ratings are relevant to someone's personal media collection, for example, nor do I think having loads of technical data like aspect ratio and resolution is very 2017. You can forget about weather, too.

As for PVR, I'll look into that after the first release in early-to-mid 2017. I'm totally unfamiliar with that aspect of Kodi, so I'll need to give it proper attention.

Final thing: Aeon will feel really complete this time. It won't be feature-rich compared to other skins, but it will feel like something you can knock about with a pad or remote without weird 'homebrew' things happening. It might end up being that there's a kind of 'management' mode that exposes more options, but I'm not sure that's necessary just yet. I'm happy for there to be a nice big list of 'skin options' if they're justified, but any contextual options during regular use will be kept to a strict minimum.

Next thing I'll probably show is the playback controls, which again are very minimal. They're more Netflix than regular Kodi, so no playback buttons at all.
www: deadendthrills.com
follow on twitter for updates, etc: @deadendthrills
Love the plan.....cannot wait to give it a try
Great philosophy, minimalism is the future! if you need testers i'm here.
Peppe
Quote:The thing I really want to do with this new version is see how much of the 'complete' Kodi experience I can strip away to make Aeon clean and simple. Kodi can feel quite labyrinthine at times, whereas I'd prefer to use something where you never have to think about where you are or what button you have to press. For that reason, Aeon will be a pad/remote-driven living room UI with no dedicated mouse support. I won't rule out adding stuff in later on, but the official line is that it's just the basics, with one view type for any one context.

Amen, brother.
Bitcoin donations: 1Hvo9rWzhAVbuPrshgaGZaD7qcLFTCPuiv
[Skin] Pellucid
[Skin] Maximinimalism
(2016-12-29, 02:54)djh_ Wrote: I want the animation in Aeon to be extremely fast, to the point where there's often no animation at all. A mix, then, between instant movement of the browser and very subtle effects for things like panels.

I don't think user ratings are relevant to someone's personal media collection, for example, nor do I think having loads of technical data like aspect ratio and resolution is very 2017. You can forget about weather, too.

I like your thoughts here. Strip back and simplify. And embrace high quality art work... just what I'd expect from Dead End Thrills.

Looking forward to seeing more!
(2016-12-29, 02:54)djh_ Wrote: I don't think user ratings are relevant to someone's personal media collection, for example, nor do I think having loads of technical data like aspect ratio and resolution is very 2017.

This!!! Sounds and looks really good. Any chance for a vertical home screen? Pretty please? Big Grin
I think the concept "simple" lost in 2009..
User now want all information about media that watch, listen, or read.
All info in this skin info,will have if they play just simple "Player".This is Kodi, media center.
Users now want to get all the information about the medium has currently watching, listening or reading.

Imo this will be just skin...nothing special.........But somebody like this.
Mine personal opinion is only good idea to replace texture (I heate this large file) with .ttf what is "good idea" rest is alredy seeen.

I was expect from Aeon Project Founder to create new 3D look.... that will be revolution.

This was post for djh_ , rest of community people please dont comment mine post, I repeat "this is only mine pesonal opinion".
XBoxMediaCenter (Kodi Matrix ) 19.3 , AndroidBox -Matrix Skin AeonMQ6
Very cool to have you back here, your previous work was really important for the whole XBMC / Kodi project.
If you need help on any level (core changes, python work, skinning questions), feel free to message me, I´m glad to help you out.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
(2016-12-28, 15:29)docwra Wrote:
(2016-12-26, 13:24)titidel Wrote: Yeah !!! It's your Aeon skin that made me switch from Meedio to XBMC! Welcome back...

Just to show how ground breaking Aeon was, this Aeon Mod is now MeediOS's default theme I believe Wink

Yes I know. I myself was skinner of meedio then meedios, but I never reused it ... Wink
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon 2 (Kodi Matrix/Leia/Krypton)30