SMB incredibly slow
So I got XBMC/linux installed on my new machine, and it appears to work fine except that browsing SMB is just insanely slow. Switching directories can take up to 2-3 minutes, and the only way to get out of it is to ctrl-alt-backspace to kill X-windows. We're talking about directories with only 2 files in them, the amount doesn't seem to matter. My old xbox had no delay at all with the same operations.

I tried mounting the SMB share in linux using smbmount as well as inside of XBMC, and both methods have the same problem. Browsing in the XBMC file manager as well as nautilus is basically instantaneous. Is this a known issue? Any workarounds?
Problem solved-- for any lurkers around, turn off "automatically generated thumbnails" in the configuration. Made SMB browsing instant again.
Have you tried turning off everything related to tag-reading? (Hmm don't know if that feature is in the linux port yet). I remember when browsing MP3 directories with a lot of songs it would take a few minutes to list the directory. However it seems strange that it would take that much time to list a directory with only 2 files. Tried connecting to a SMB-share on another computer and see if the same problems occurs?

I guess someone with more in-depth experience can help you out more.
I've just got my new asrock 330 ion up and running with ubuntu 9.04 and xbmc (svn ppa). One thing i noticed was the the remarkable time it took to start a x264 720p movie (about 5 sec). Is this about right?
Due to the crappy nature of smb protocol?
Can i adjust the prebuffering that seems to be going on to improve loading time?

The only reference i have is my popcorn hour with nfs share. It starts in about a sec or two.

BR
Lamm
Try to mount it via the OS, then point XBMC to the mount point.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
lamm, can also be because gui is 60hz and movie is 24hz. If you have set xbmc to auto ajust this then your amp/tv needs to handshake again and this can take up to 10 seconds for some amp/tv's
i will look into both suggestions and report back.Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB incredibly slow0