Can't Access Windows 10 shared folder
I've been using Kodi since it was XBMP and have never had an issue. I'm sure this is a Windows issue but am at the end of my rope. I have a shared folder on Windows 10 that is shared with "Everyone" and with a specific user that I setup with a password to use with Kodi. I can access this share from other Windows machines and from my Android devices using \\computername and the username/password with no issues. Kodi can see my computer but times out when trying to reach the shared folder. I'm not sure what else I need to do. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm using LibreElec 7.90.008 with Kodi 17 Beta 5.
Make sure your Kodi box is in the same workgroup as the Windows PC.

There are a couple of Windows registry hacks if this doesn't work. Google 'Kodi Windows SMB share' and you'll find links. I don't have them bookmarked.
(2017-01-02, 19:15)mcelliott Wrote: Make sure your Kodi box is in the same workgroup as the Windows PC.

There are a couple of Windows registry hacks if this doesn't work. Google 'Kodi Windows SMB share' and you'll find links. I don't have them bookmarked.

Thanks for the reply. I wish it were that simple. Kodi is seeing my pc and itself in the same workgroup. I used to get a popup asking for the user name and password in v16 when browsing for the folder. That doesn't happen anymore.
I just installed Kodi 17 RC2 on an older laptop and can connect via the smb share and it asks for the user name and password.
(2017-01-02, 20:18)theory Wrote:
(2017-01-02, 19:15)mcelliott Wrote: Make sure your Kodi box is in the same workgroup as the Windows PC.

Thanks for the reply. I wish it were that simple. Kodi is seeing my pc and itself in the same workgroup. I used to get a popup asking for the user name and password in v16 when browsing for the folder. That doesn't happen anymore.
I just installed Kodi 17 RC2 on an older laptop and can connect via the smb share and it asks for the user name and password.

I had a similar problem. I had to switch over to the default skin because the skin I was using didn't show the username/password dialog when adding my smb as a source. After that, I was able to select my smb share, add the username/password, and save it for future use.
Make sure you are not using that homegroup crap.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks everyone. I'm using the default skin and I am not using homegroup. Not sure what's going on here.
I'm having a similar issue. Hope it's ok to piggyback on your thread.

I have files shared on my Windows 10 PC, password protected sharing is enabled, permissions are set for "everyone" to read, write, and make changes, and there is no HomeGroup set up.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 running Retropie 4.1 and I'm running Kodi 16.1 as an add-on. In Kodi, I go to add an SMB video source and can see my Windows 10 machine. After I enter my User Name and Password, I wait a few moments while it is "working" and then get the message "Operation not permitted".
(2017-01-03, 23:29)ScottF80 Wrote: I'm having a similar issue. Hope it's ok to piggyback on your thread.

I have files shared on my Windows 10 PC, password protected sharing is enabled, permissions are set for "everyone" to read, write, and make changes, and there is no HomeGroup set up.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 running Retropie 4.1 and I'm running Kodi 16.1 as an add-on. In Kodi, I go to add an SMB video source and can see my Windows 10 machine. After I enter my User Name and Password, I wait a few moments while it is "working" and then get the message "Operation not permitted".

No problem piggybacking at all. The more attention the better. I hope we can each find a solution.
You may have tried this but are you trying to add it via the computer name or IP? If you're trying via the name try using the IP.
My friend found a solution that fixed my issue. I'm at work and away from my pi at the moment, but I will post his findings asap.
(2017-01-05, 18:27)ScottF80 Wrote: My friend found a solution that fixed my issue. I'm at work and away from my pi at the moment, but I will post his findings asap.

Looking forward to hearing your solution and seeing if it will work for me.
@theory,scottF80

Win10 really changed SMB from win7. Not well explained on web.
I have it rock solid now. For several months. Heres how I got it to work most reliably:

1 - on win10 box use fixed ip address. Eg 192.168.1.99
2 - on win10 box add a new user account and password.
3 - in win 10 box PUT your media not on C drive.. very important, win10 broke this bad.. too complicated. Else files won't all show.
4 - in win 10 box share the folders containing media (with new user account you created), not on c drive.
5 - on kodi box(s) add video.
Add network location/smb
Enter fixed IP eg 192.168.1.99
Enter win10 new user name and password, have kodi remember it.

Now when you go to add media it should show smb:/192.168.1.99
Choose that and it will grab your media reliably as long as your network connection is reliable. Set content like usual..

Those are the basic steps..
Good luck.
G
(2017-01-13, 13:23)gfisher Wrote: @theory,scottF80

Win10 really changed SMB from win7. Not well explained on web.
I have it rock solid now. For several months. Heres how I got it to work most reliably:

1 - on win10 box use fixed ip address. Eg 192.168.1.99
2 - on win10 box add a new user account and password.
3 - in win 10 box PUT your media not on C drive.. very important, win10 broke this bad.. too complicated. Else files won't all show.
4 - in win 10 box share the folders containing media (with new user account you created), not on c drive.
5 - on kodi box(s) add video.
Add network location/smb
Enter fixed IP eg 192.168.1.99
Enter win10 new user name and password, have kodi remember it.

Now when you go to add media it should show smb:/192.168.1.99
Choose that and it will grab your media reliably as long as your network connection is reliable. Set content like usual..

Those are the basic steps..
Good luck.
G

Thank you for the reply. I had done all of your steps already but want to be clear on step 3. Do you mean on a separate drive letter other than C: or just not in the actual root of C:? I have my files stored on C: but they are in a place such as C:\\Users\Theory\Kodi. Are you saying to partition my hard drive (as I only have 1 in this box) to have a separate drive letter for these files to reside?
Separate drive letter. Partition might work. Like D
C drive got screwed up on win 10.. a few of the smb updates booked root drive net cache.. it appears to be a bug. All kinds of reg edits only made my win box unstable. Win7 was OK.
You can test on a thumb drive maybe, then try partition or extra drives. It should be easier but updating from win 7 to win 10 this changed for sure. Off the c drive was a major hurdle on my box.
Usb thumb works fine.
When adding shares
1 - click properties of drive
2 - sharing tab
3 - advanced sharing
4- shared this folder
Permissions
5 add
Object box type in the new user name
Press OK.
Then you should see new user in group or user names.
This was another buggy thing. You cannot just add a share. It forgets it once you press OK. Permissions must be set first.. ug.
@theory,
You can share on C drive. But the media won't reliably show in your library especially if there are tons of files. The net cache is buggy on the c drive..

That post 14, might be all that is stopping you. That is not the normal way to add shares. That was the only way I could get win 10 to remember my shares.. I forgot about that stinky bug. The right click then shares shortcut should return error but it does not, it says share... but it does not save.
Post14 was the only way my LE pi3 could connect. Hope this gives you some clues.
G

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't Access Windows 10 shared folder1