v16 Auto next not working on NAS
Why doesn't kodi 16.1 music play the next song in the folder automatically if my files are on a nas? Also it wont play the song i selected if a song is already playing. These are basic functions every music player should have. Now i'm looking to find a better music player for my tv box.
I've noticed the same thing (also on kodi 17 and now 18). It's still not possible to play more than one song, you have to select and play them one by one via the remote control. Whenever I add some songs to a playlist they get stuck on autoplay the next song. It plays it around 2-3 seconds and then freezes, sometimes after several minutes it's able to play it normally.. When you manually press next on the remote before the song runs out it seems to work most of the time, but this effect makes playing songs on kodi not worth it.

Are there any buffering settings wrong? It must be some settings that need to be changed to make it work over network connection to a NAS.. I don't believe this is a common failure of kodi, playing files from a network storage.
(2017-01-21, 16:18)SlyRipper Wrote: I don't believe this is a common failure of kodi, playing files from a network storage.
No it isn't, so let's see if we can pin down what the particular issue is here.

The obvious thing is to check your settings. Is Settings>Player Settings>Music Play next song automatically enabled?
Also make sure "Queue songs on selection" is NOT enabled, I fell into that trap the other week.
Does the NAS put its disks to sleep? My hard drives are set to spin down if not used for 1 hour. So accessing files after more than that hour, it needs to spin up the disks first
(2017-01-21, 16:36)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2017-01-21, 16:18)SlyRipper Wrote: I don't believe this is a common failure of kodi, playing files from a network storage.
No it isn't, so let's see if we can pin down what the particular issue is here.

The obvious thing is to check your settings. Is Settings>Player Settings>Music Play next song automatically enabled?

yep that's enabled, but I could also diasble it as it only works within album folders when i get the description right.

(2017-01-21, 17:30)jjd-uk Wrote: Also make sure "Queue songs on selection" is NOT enabled, I fell into that trap the other week.

It's disabled, as I want to control my playlists manually Wink So usually i press play/ok on the first song, and then using the context menu to add additional songs
I'm going to try creating pre-set custom/smart lists, if that works better, than the temporary playlist.

(2017-01-22, 18:11)Rusendusen Wrote: Does the NAS put its disks to sleep? My hard drives are set to spin down if not used for 1 hour. So accessing files after more than that hour, it needs to spin up the disks first

It will set the hard drives to sleep when they're not used, but I can surely exclude that issue. As said, it works when pressing next before the current song ends (sometimes), whenever it moves automatically to the next song it most likely get's stucked. when I press next now, I have to wait several seconds while kodi seems to give no feedback/response and after a while it start playing the next song as if nothing had happend. So I would assume that this is caused due to a failure in buffering or preloading the next song. I hope some settings could cure this stuff, because playing each song alone works as it should.
Then something somewhere is seriously wrong with your setup, if you post of debug log_file (wiki) of this happening then that may give some clues as to what is going on, but at the moment it sounds like networking issues.
(2017-01-23, 16:54)jjd-uk Wrote: Then something somewhere is seriously wrong with your setup, if you post of debug log_file (wiki) of this happening then that may give some clues as to what is going on, but at the moment it sounds like networking issues.

I thought that, too. I used a WLAN Dongle before, but I never experienced any issues when watching videos. I recently changed to a network cable (videos now nearly starting immediately) and also used both ways of connecting to my NAS (nfs and smb) but still got these problems.. I try to get a log of that issue when I'm back home.

P.S. I've also tried setting all tags correctly (with correct MusicBrainz Values), thought this would help getting the correct data for the music files, but this had also no effect.
So here's the kodi.log I recorded. I activated debug, started a song (Bastille - Good Grief) and choosed another song of the album and added it to the playlist. I then pressed back to only see the visualization screen. (I noticed that kodi took the whole album and displayed 1 of 5 songs, but that's ok as I just need some songs to use autoplay).. As the first song finished, it started to play the next one, but stopped at about 2-3 seconds and then it loads, and plays 1-2 seconds before it stucks again. When I press stop it takes a while for kodi to stop everything and bring me back to the menu. in this time the screen freezes, so no (visual) remote responses, no visualization that spins, nothing, until I get back to the menu.
I don't see you adding adding more than one item to the playlist in that log, the only item I see in there is "Bastille - Warmth".
I guess because kodi choosed to take the album as playlist, not just the two songs.. I couldn't see any special about this, queries are fast, and nothing strange comes up..

However, while I was playing around yesterday, I deleted once again the smb connection, and added a new music source, this time again nfs.. i also slightly changed some audio settings here and there (can't remember all, just some stuff like the delay time before skip, and so on, nothing fancy here). Let it read all contents (was pretty fast this time) and also updated the library with universal scraper, and suddenly everything works like a charm. I selected a song and kodi played it immediately, I added two other songs and kodi started the next songs automatically. Great!

So I solved my issues, on deleting everything and restarting/reloading the music library from scratch, switched some network protocols and now it works as it should (also updated kodi build to milhouse #0125, dunno if it has anything to do with it)
Glad you got it sorted eventually, perhaps there was something corrupt in the database then, as a point of interest did you only ever try adding items to the playlist from the Library views? so did you ever try from Files view?
(2017-01-26, 16:24)jjd-uk Wrote: Glad you got it sorted eventually, perhaps there was something corrupt in the database then, as a point of interest did you only ever try adding items to the playlist from the Library views? so did you ever try from Files view?

seems like (strangely I've removed/added it several times before, but now it works)..
What exactly do you mean? I usually switch to the Music menu and right click on every song and choose add to playlist.
Do you mean when entering the library and connect to it's content directly and choosing the songs from there?
I never did that, but I could, if you want to test something with that information ^^
When entering Music one of the options is Files, this shows the sources you've added and you can navigate the folder/file structure, you can add items to the playlist from here also. Since it sounded like you were using the Library options so Albums, Songs, Artist etc view I was wondering if you had used Files view at all, as if things were ok in Files view that may give more credence to there being a database issue. But no matter if all is working now, then there's nothing you can test.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto next not working on NAS0