The program can't start because api-ms....
Hello everyone,

So I just installed Kodi on an old rig I had lying around to play around with it and see how and if its the correct program for my use case.

Now trying to launch the program gives me this
''The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.''

( http://prntscr.com/dr6atd screenshot of the error)

So that's what I did, three times, and it doesn't work... I've seen alot of dll errors but this one tops it all, I've never heard of this one before, anyway was wondering if anyone has had this happen before and or has a solution to this.

Regards,

Snow
+1

Gateway Windows 7 machine.
Google seems to think it has something to do with Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. Perhaps you need to install/update/re-install the latest version of that particular piece of software?
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/2999226

If it's really old try http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/win32/ol...engard.exe
I have 2 identical setups of Kodi systems in my house. I'm not a big fan of TV boxes that are made for Kodi, for reasons I'm not going to bore you with. So I bought 2 Zotac mini computer, made them powerful and installed Win 8.1 on them. Their sole purpose is to run Kodi. Yes a bit overkill, but I need full control of a unit, don't care for those firmware upgrade that screws up everything. I notice that Kodi 17.0 & 17.1 will throw at me the same error message that you see in the screen shot above, if I re-install windows 8.1. to run Kodi on a fresh Win/Kodi install.

OK... the point I'm making... The latest Kodi won't run on a fresh Windows installation unless the updates are all done, or you get that error message. Win 8.1 can take weeks to catch up on updates, only then can I run Kodi 17.1. My other system, again, which is identical (computer hardware, software versions, everything...) is up to date and no problem with Kodi 17.1.

So you would think it's easy to fix, even if I go to Microsoft and download manually all the updates right? Well I did this, and I'm nowhere close to having the same updates as the other system. I tried all solutions available to me from here and other places and I always get the same DLL missing error. Maybe it's easier said then done, but it would be fun if the awesome Kodi team would prepare their install file to recognize files missing, or maybe I should say have a list of all "must have" files and install them at that time.

So I finally gave up, installed Kodi 16 (latest 16) on this fresh Win install and everything works. I will simply let Windows update itself for a week or 2 then try again. This is an easy situation to reproduce... install Kodi on a fresh Windows system, and you'll see it won't run... until all updates are done... which Microsoft makes very hard for you to achieve because they are always so user unfriendly with everything...
I just wanted to share that this problem has been dogging me for a while on Win8.1 PC's of mine and my friends, even after trying to get all available updates installed. But I finally found that simply installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 fixed the issue for me.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...x?id=53840

I downloaded and installed both the 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit versions, and then no more error. I didn't even have to reboot.

I hope this may help anyone else frustrated with this error.
cobra66,

Thank you for sharing that with us. I hope your comments will help others as well.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
my update always me an error of a missing dll file but when I search for it in my computer files I have over seven copies of it . and I tried reinstalling kodi but it still gives me the same message:

This program can’t start api-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this program to fix this problem
Have you tried the solution provided by cobra66 above?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
yes I did I downloaded and restarted my computer and the problem still presists
It means that Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 is not installed or not updated. This issue can happen on Windows 10, 8 and 7. I'll bet you need Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 make sure you get the right package. http://www.standaloneofflineinstallers.c...ndows.html you may need an earlier version.
Quote:yes I did I downloaded and restarted my computer and the problem still presists
Download... and Install?

Then as @PatK suggested.

I note you have not provided one item of information about your setup. Until you do, you are on your own.
My Signature
just downloaded kodi 16.1 and it works i don't understand why the upgraded kodi 17 does not work when i download it when i know i have that missing file on my computer whats up with that ?
ok when you say info about my setup do you mean what type of computer i am using or just the OS im using ?
Proper debug log (wiki) requested, with a short description of the issue in a new post of your own.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The program can't start because api-ms....0