Basic Remote Suggestions
I'm using my old Pi in my bedroom and want to put a basic remote on it simply with arrow keys, play, pause, stop (very important and see a lot of remote's don't seem to have this) and volume keys. I don't need a keyboard or anything like that, looking for something small and discrete similar in size the Fire TV remote. Any suggestions?
Cheers.
A mobile phone running one of the Kodi remote apps, such as Kore or Yatse.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
OSMC remote - not the cheapest, but has a small size and not too many controls.
Derek
(2017-01-04, 12:44)dandnsmith Wrote: OSMC remote - not the cheapest, but has a small size and not too many controls.

This is exactly what I'm looking for! I'm using libreelec and not osmc though. Will it work do you know?
I'm pretty sure it will work, as it is designed to work with kodi, no matter what the OS beneath it.
Derek
(2017-01-04, 19:08)dandnsmith Wrote: I'm pretty sure it will work, as it is designed to work with kodi, no matter what the OS beneath it.

I'll see if i can find out more although ive just realised there's no volume buttons!
better off with one of these and using an existing remote: https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2017-01-04, 19:35)Farquea Wrote: I'll see if i can find out more although ive just realised there's no volume buttons!

Right - there are no volume buttons, but you can remap the buttons to do what you want (usually you only want them in certain context).

I agree with the FLIRC suggestion - then you can use the remote of your choice.
I used one of these when the remote I had on one installation failed because its usb receiver failed.
Derek
I realized that but there are already very few buttons to hijack and replace for volume as it is on that OSMC remote.

I'll take a look at FLIRC but i'm just surprised at how many remote's don't have a STOP button as i use this a lot and while i know i can re-map, my less than technical wife will probably struggle/whinge about this!
I am having a hard time finding a good remote with a stop-button as well.
For some setups i just remap, but on low button remotes that can be a challenge.
Since Jarvis, long-press has been added which gives some more options.
It's only now that i think of remapping longpress_Back to stop. Might make for a good alternative...

One other suggestion that works for me is the Minix A2 Lite remote.
It has a bogus button that's in a very intuitive position te be remapped to stop.
Oh..and it has volume buttons ;-)

Hope it helps.
(2017-01-04, 12:44)dandnsmith Wrote: OSMC remote - not the cheapest, but has a small size and not too many controls.
Thats a very nice remote by the way.
I would just make the bottom buttons volume up/down.
Thanks for the suggestion!
(2017-01-05, 09:41)dandnsmith Wrote:
(2017-01-04, 19:35)Farquea Wrote: I'll see if i can find out more although ive just realised there's no volume buttons!

Right - there are no volume buttons, but you can remap the buttons to do what you want (usually you only want them in certain context).

I agree with the FLIRC suggestion - then you can use the remote of your choice.
I used one of these when the remote I had on one installation failed because its usb receiver failed.

(2017-01-05, 22:53)Atreyu Wrote:
Thats a very nice remote by the way.
I would just make the bottom buttons volume up/down.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Thats exactly what i'm thinking of doing.
Well, i might be ordering one, myself :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Basic Remote Suggestions0