Android Egreat A5 & A10 w/HiSilicon Hi3798C V200 (3D / 4K / HD Audio)
As VidOn, a former 'renegade' Kodi fork developer with VidOn XBMC, has seemingly complied with GPL, and a Kodi member was able to compile a Pro version from it, I'm starting this thread to discuss Egreat's new A5 and A10 media players. They rely on VidOn.

Thanks to @pcristi and Egreat for sending me an A5 sample to test and review. The A5 and A10 leverage HiSilicon's Hi3798C V200 SoC, the same SoC inside HiMedia Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro. But, unlike HiMedia, Egreat has opted to partner with VidOn and included the full, Pro (activated) version version of VidOn XBMC (Kodi 16.1 fork). You have the option to use the native media center as well, and play videos with the native media player, but this jukebox solution pales in comparison to Kodi of course (just IMHO).

These players are a little pricey:
- A5 is $209
- A10 is $299 (w/internal HDD capability)

Here are my initial impressions after just a couple of hours of testing an A5 (not enough, and need to test more)...

MOD EDIT: VidOn XBMC GPL infringing Software test results removed due to ongoing Legal issues.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Does Dolby Vision Playback works?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
No. DolbyVision 4K samples do play, but as w/HiMedia, not in DolbyVision mode from what I'm aware.
My Family Room Theater
Please don't jump the gun on VidOn GPL compliance.

Unless something has drastically changed, files actually needed for easy compilation from VidOn Github source code are still locked behind secure VidOn servers.
@Trigu75 had to do a bunch of work removing such code restrictions, he was not "allowed" to do anything easily.

@hdmkv, I may very well lock and Trash this thread if such restrictions are still present.
I would not be putting a bunch of review work into this device with such uncertainty still hanging around VidOn associated devices.

"Seemingly" is not good for Open Source Code sharing.

Fair enough, don't want to discuss anything that 'hurts' Kodi.
My Family Room Theater
Last time I conversed with @Trigu75, he believed his unrestricted "massaged" Pro Version of VidOn XBMC would work across a variety of devices, AllWinner, HiSilicon, AML etc....that free Pro Version is this one:

VidonXBMC_16.1_Jarvis.apk

MOD EDIT Review removed due to VidON GPL Infringing Software on this box.
Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 7.1, Zidoo X20PRO, Egreat A11, Apple TV 4K/infuse PRO.

Thanks @OlivierQC. How's the 4K performance, especially HDR (curious as my 4K TV is 8-bit, non-HDR)? Like Q10 Pro?
My Family Room Theater
yes like himedia,

auto mode does not work

like himedia i have to make settings manually

2160p60
ycbcr 4.2.0
hdr10

but it is not a big deal, i do not have any UHD/UHD HDR movies in my collection, only demos.

with the last final FW, all demo UHD HDR works properly, i do not test with the FW beta of the last week, i will test them tonight or tomorrow.

see you
Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 7.1, Zidoo X20PRO, Egreat A11, Apple TV 4K/infuse PRO.

Hello all,

nobody else has bought the egreat A5 ?

Hello all,

here is a test :

MOD EDIT External Links removed due to VidON GPL Infringing Software in this box.

have nice day

thanks for the link, @OlivierQC.
It was an interesting review; the device got several firmware updates during the review and with the latest FW update most annoyances are solved.
This impressed me, Egreat is really trying this time.

It's unprecedented (for them) to "open" a device to so many reviewers all over the world, this again tells something about their commitment for this two models.

In a nutshell: superb image quality, full BD-ISO menus, cover-art - A5/A10 are competing with the Zappiti 4K HDR devices

If only the price was a bit more affordable ... Laugh
Mike
(2017-01-05, 00:19)hdmkv Wrote: No. DolbyVision 4K samples do play, but as w/HiMedia, not in DolbyVision mode from what I'm aware.

yes, there is option for DolbyVision HDR

LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
your welcome minipcdb

i have attached your link on my thread too

MOD EDIT External Links removed due to VidON GPL Infringing Software in this box.

yes i agree with you about the price

see you

Wonder if Dolby Vision is really supported though... anyone have a TV w/Dolby Vision?
My Family Room Theater

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Egreat A5 & A10 w/HiSilicon Hi3798C V200 (3D / 4K / HD Audio)1