Album Artist vs Artist on Import
Hi, I just finished retagging all my music and imported. I'm running the latest version of Kodi with the default skin. When I import my music library I noticed that it is using Album Artist instead of Artist even though I have the sort set as Artist. Is there a way I can change how it shows when selecting Music, Artist? I really don't want to retag my music.

Just as an ex. For the Almost Famous Soundtrack I have the Artist set as Almost Famous and the Album Artist as the individual artists. I prefer my soundtracks to show up as the soundtrack under Artist. Rather than a bunch of single artists with just one song.
(2017-01-07, 03:36)danielBmee Wrote: Hi, I just finished retagging all my music and imported. I'm running the latest version of Kodi with the default skin. When I import my music library I noticed that it is using Album Artist instead of Artist even though I have the sort set as Artist. Is there a way I can change how it shows when selecting Music, Artist? I really don't want to retag my music.
Kodi uses both artist and album artist, each in the approrpiate places. So listing albums it shows the album artist(s), listing songs it shows the (song) artist(s), the OSD during playbackshows song artist too. The Artists node lists either just album artists, or both album artists and song artists depending on the "Show song and album artists" setting. There are also under "Roles" separate nodes for these so that you can switch easily between seeing both without havoing to change the default settings.

The album artist is available to the skin for lists of songs, so a skin could show this if the author wanted it to, but I don't know any that do.

danielBmee Wrote:Just as an ex. For the Almost Famous Soundtrack I have the Artist set as Almost Famous and the Album Artist as the individual artists. I prefer my soundtracks to show up as the soundtrack under Artist. Rather than a bunch of single artists with just one song.

Surely you mean the other way around?
I would tag that soundtrack as having album artist = "Various Artists", and artist varying with every song. See http://musicbrainz.org/release/033bd3b4-...3ebd36a48a.

If you actually have done what you said then Kodi will see each track as a separate album (same title, different album artist).
Ok, I gave your method a try with using Various Artists. I think that works out well. I'll tag the rest of my soundtracks that way. Thanks!

One other question, I ran a Query Artist Information and I noticed that a lot of my artists didn't grab any artist thumbnails so I still see the default icon when browsing by artist. Many of them are pretty big names. Do you have to run that multiple times?
Most likely it is weekend heavy server use meaning we are hitting timeouts at Musicbrainz first time around, so yes retry (preferably not at weekend).

If using Jarvis you will need to restart or update library (let it scan and find no changed files so should be quicker than actually loading tag data) before your "Query info for all" retry, otherwise it don't actually do anything. A bug fixed in Krypton.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Album Artist vs Artist on Import0