Any full guides on how to get Kodi working on Ubuntu 16?
Hi,

My Kodibuntu box just died and I'm trying to replace it, but Kodibuntu is no longer available. I liked having the Ubuntu OS underneath because it helped with making the box more useful, extending it to other purposes. I'm trying to find a guide on how to get Kodi working on top of Ubuntu but there doesn't seem to be a good source. The FAQ isn't filled in yet:
1.8 How To Autostart Kodi in Desktop Mode
and the how-to "has flaws."

Does anyone have a good walk-through on this? I've already installed Kodi on Ubuntu, now just need it to work...

Thank you.
I just installed from repository using lxle which is Ubuntu 16 with lxde front end. Worked no problem you can choose to use it in a window so you can flip back and forth to your desktop. I preferred to run it to the hdmi 40 inch tv I had hooked up by using the option of opening on the hdmi screen these setting are both found inside kodi

Sent from my SM-T715Y
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174854
(2017-01-08, 03:05)nobody_new Wrote: Hi,

My Kodibuntu box just died and I'm trying to replace it, but Kodibuntu is no longer available. I liked having the Ubuntu OS underneath because it helped with making the box more useful, extending it to other purposes. I'm trying to find a guide on how to get Kodi working on top of Ubuntu but there doesn't seem to be a good source. The FAQ isn't filled in yet:

Does anyone have a good walk-through on this? I've already installed Kodi on Ubuntu, now just need it to work...

Thank you.

The flaws are regarding running kodi without a window manager. Just ignore those parts.

Start with an ubuntu build with a full gui (default install image, not the server one). Add the kodi repo. Then install kodi from there. That part is super easy.

If you are using ubuntu 16.04 with the default unity, open dash and search for "Startup Applications" and add kodi to it. Also make sure that your user account is set up to auto login. After that, when ubuntu starts up, it will immediately launch into kodi (I don't even see the ubuntu desktop)

Oh and if you're using an mce remote, you would have to install lirc and set that up
(2017-01-10, 03:32)aptalca Wrote:

Thank you.

The flaws are regarding running kodi without a window manager. Just ignore those parts.

Start with an ubuntu build with a full gui (default install image, not the server one). Add the kodi repo. Then install kodi from there. That part is super easy.

If you are using ubuntu 16.04 with the default unity, open dash and search for "Startup Applications" and add kodi to it. Also make sure that your user account is set up to auto login. After that, when ubuntu starts up, it will immediately launch into kodi (I don't even see the ubuntu desktop)

Oh and if you're using an mce remote, you would have to install lirc and set that up

never run kodi on top of unity if you want a proper working kodi!
(2017-01-10, 09:46)wsnipex Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 03:32)aptalca Wrote:

Thank you.

Can you elaborate on that? Blush What issues does it cause and what gui would you recommend instead?
(2017-01-10, 20:20)aptalca Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 09:46)wsnipex Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 03:32)aptalca Wrote: The flaws are regarding running kodi without a window manager. Just ignore those parts.

Can you elaborate on that? Blush What issues does it cause and what gui would you recommend instead?

In my experience, it creates all kinds of graphics glitches and slow downs..

i use a full ubuntu desktop install, but i never load any full gdm when i launch my kodi.

i.e i followed this guide many years ago, hopefully updated by now , how to autostart kodi in lightdm (right or wrong, i am still using that setup manu ubuntu versions onwards Wink )

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any full guides on how to get Kodi working on Ubuntu 16?0