Keep drive spinning...
Hi All,

How difficult would it be to create an addon that does a directory listing or writes a random file to an external hard drive every 60 seconds? The goal is to stop the external hard drive from sleeping (spinning down)

Once it spins down the drive disappears from Kodi and does not come back for some reason, probably something to do with the android box I'm using. (Android 5.1.1, Kodi v16.1)

I thought if it's not too hard I might try creating an addon myself.

Thanks.

-Chris

FYI - I asked for help over here (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=303768) but got no traction.
For windows it's an add-on http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/prevent-har...epalivehd/

For Android ->Android just wasn't designed with HDDs in mind is the feedback. You can't do it from Android, you need a drive (enclosure inteerface) As far as I know it's not a "box feature" that'll be advertised on the enclosure: either it does it, or it doesn't. here's a link that spells out some hardware https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...hen-sleep/ that stays awake! I guess you're looking for some add-on that toggles the HD after a while (look into the the actual hard drive specs, it might be possible to set a jumper to not spin down). I had this issue with an external on a windows system, my solution was to just get rid of it.

I know that none of this is satisfactory, but at least we're listening.
Couldn't you just migrate your cache or log directory to the hdd and symlink it? Since these 2 locations tend to read / write often I'd assume it would keep it awake.
(2017-01-13, 07:57)Protocol-X Wrote: Couldn't you just migrate your cache or log directory to the hdd and symlink it? Since these 2 locations tend to read / write often I'd assume it would keep it awake.
Good one, It's a work-around but that wouldn't prevent the issue should Kodi not be running.
(2017-01-13, 18:29)PatK Wrote:
(2017-01-13, 07:57)Protocol-X Wrote: Couldn't you just migrate your cache or log directory to the hdd and symlink it? Since these 2 locations tend to read / write often I'd assume it would keep it awake.
Good one, It's a work-around but that wouldn't prevent the issue should Kodi not be running.

True, but if you are not using this to just run kodi, then your best bet would be to write an android app which is a service and have it run in the background to do something write to the drive once an hour. Or get a different drive as suggested . I have never owned an android box so I'm not familiar which using an hdd on one and the downfalls. Most ofy hdd have been upgraded to ssd so I don't deal much with the need for keeping the platters active
SSD now we're talking.
Thanks for the input Gents, much appreciated.

I ended up finding a solution, dodgy but it works. I use the Backup addon with a destination of the external hard drive, source of config files only, silent mode enabled and set to run every 10min via the advanced cron scheduler.

Large SSD's are still too expensive in AUS but I will move to them in the future.

Cheers,
-Chris
Would you be able please to share the "advanced cron scheduler" part?
I have 1.5tb old Seagate disk connected to RPi3 via USB and have the same issue. Once the disk goes to sleep RPi is not able to wake it up and disk is not visible to RPi. Strangely enough even Kodi restart doesn't fix it. Only disconnecting/connecting usb port solves the issue immediately. So was hoping to stop HDD from.going to sleep somehow but have no idea howSmile
Thanks!

(2017-01-14, 01:02)chrisric Wrote: Thanks for the input Gents, much appreciated.

I ended up finding a solution, dodgy but it works. I use the Backup addon with a destination of the external hard drive, source of config files only, silent mode enabled and set to run every 10min via the advanced cron scheduler.

Large SSD's are still too expensive in AUS but I will move to them in the future.

Cheers,
-Chris

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keep drive spinning...0