• 104(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2018-12-01, 01:14)WeldSpark Wrote: What the.. I changed the hdmi cable and now it changes the color space automatically. Why is that?
 Perhaps the other one isn't 2.0?
(2018-12-01, 08:06)Hitcher Wrote:
(2018-12-01, 01:14)WeldSpark Wrote: What the.. I changed the hdmi cable and now it changes the color space automatically. Why is that?

If the video is being passed without any major issues - like flashes to black/green/magenta, sparklies, drop outs to 'unsupported format'/'no signal' etc. then it's unlikely the cable is passing video but not passing InfoFrames/AVI data (containing information about the source video) or EDID (containing information about formats supported by the display) over HDMI?

I have found my TVs, AVRs and sources do sometimes get very confused about EDID etc. though and often a full mains power cycle of all equipment (removing the power plugs from the sockets level power-cycle) fixes most unexplained oddities.
(2018-11-30, 00:07)FoxADRIANO Wrote: I still don't understand because many guys buy Shield. I bought it some days ago and today I sent it back. It was a bad purchase. Please, don't ask me questions, I have a stomach ache talking about Shield.
 Did you try to turn it off and on again? Wink
Seriously, many people buy it, because it's a hell of a gear. I personally think it's the best Kodi/Netflix/Plex/Android TV experience I've ever had.
(2018-12-01, 15:18)noggin Wrote:
(2018-12-01, 08:06)Hitcher Wrote:

If the video is being passed without any major issues - like flashes to black/green/magenta, sparklies, drop outs to 'unsupported format'/'no signal' etc. then it's unlikely the cable is passing video but not passing InfoFrames/AVI data (containing information about the source video) or EDID (containing information about formats supported by the display) over HDMI?

I have found my TVs, AVRs and sources do sometimes get very confused about EDID etc. though and often a full mains power cycle of all equipment (removing the power plugs from the sockets level power-cycle) fixes most unexplained oddities.

Yeah maybe, I pulled the power, so maybe it wasn't the hdmi cable, I also switched hdmi port on my TV, however all hdmi ports support 4k so I don't know.

The only problem I still have is the 1080p upscaling to 4k, it looks awful in some apps in the android TV OS. I think the Netflix app looks better in Android TV os.

On kodi I use 1080 for the gui and it changes resolution automatically depending on content.
(2018-12-01, 18:41)raven6679 Wrote:
(2018-11-30, 00:07)FoxADRIANO Wrote: I still don't understand because many guys buy Shield. I bought it some days ago and today I sent it back. It was a bad purchase. Please, don't ask me questions, I have a stomach ache talking about Shield.
Seriously, many people buy it, because it's a hell of a gear. I personally think it's the best Kodi/Netflix/Plex/Android TV experience I've ever had.
I could not agree more! The one and only thing which would make me happier would be if it would be possible to direct boot the shield into Kodi bypassing the Android TV OS Launcher (not a fan). Well, you can always dream... Wink
if it would be possible to direct boot the shield into Kodi bypassing the Android TV OS Launcher

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...unchonboot
Unraid: Asus Z97Extreme4 / Xeon E3-1231 3,4 GHZ / 32GB RAM / 17TB HDD / Cine TV C2/T2 DuoFlex / EasyMouse2 / Docker: EmbyServer, TVheadend, OSCam, OpenVPN-AS
3 Rooms: NVidia Shield 2017 / Kodi 18 | Kitchen: 5i3RYK / 4GB RAM / Win10 / Emby
Maybe there's an Android app to launch something at startup? Did you try to find any?

edit: Ahhh, I didn't look at next post. So there is an app.
(2018-12-02, 00:35)sectune Wrote:
(2018-12-01, 18:41)raven6679 Wrote:
I could not agree more! The one and only thing which would make me happier would be if it would be possible to direct boot the shield into Kodi bypassing the Android TV OS Launcher (not a fan). Well, you can always dream... Wink
(2018-12-02, 07:40)himisk71 Wrote: if it would be possible to direct boot the shield into Kodi bypassing the Android TV OS Launcher
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...unchonboot
Works like a sharm :-)

Now it would be nice to hava button that works outside of Kodi, to open Kodi. Shortcut key for app :-)
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
7.2 update coming soon
The 7.2 update will be coming soon. It will be the last update until Android 9.0.

What’s new?

SMB 3 support (finally)

Auto Screen Refresh switch (OS based, will work with all apps)

Auto Color Space switch (OS based, “”)

Improved image scaling algorithm

Bugs fixes

UI changes

Screen recorder is back

Fixes for the remote controller (battery bug)
(2018-12-05, 09:51)mamachan Wrote: 7.2 update coming soon
The 7.2 update will be coming soon. It will be the last update until Android 9.0.

What’s new?

SMB 3 support (finally)

Auto Screen Refresh switch (OS based, will work with all apps)

Auto Color Space switch (OS based, “”)

Improved image scaling algorithm

Bugs fixes

UI changes

Screen recorder is back

Fixes for the remote controller (battery bug)
Automatic Frame Rate switching at last.  I wonder how effectively this will be implemented.  They are obviously seeing how much love the Apple TV 4K is getting...  The difference automatic frame rate switching makes in Netflix and Amazon means the ATV 4K is my go-to player for these platforms, not the Shield TV.

If they implement automatic frame rate switching (Kodi has dynamic frame rate switching on the ATV already) and colour gamut switching (along with the EOTF switching they already have) and they retain the ability for Kodi to bitstream HD Audio - then the Shield TV will be a very strong contender again.  

If they implement HLG flagging (using a standard Android API) as well then the BBC iPlayer with UHD HDR support (and auto frame rate and gamut switching) would be the icing on the cake.
Image scaling has always been a week point of the Shield TV as well, looking forward to seeing what improvements were made. This is a monster update if true.
Image scaling doesn't matter with Kodi Leia though.
(2018-12-05, 20:17)Hitcher Wrote: Image scaling doesn't matter with Kodi Leia though.
 Yes - with resolution switching scaling is a non-issue (though with other apps it is)
(2018-12-05, 21:12)noggin Wrote:
(2018-12-05, 20:17)Hitcher Wrote: Image scaling doesn't matter with Kodi Leia though.
 Yes - with resolution switching scaling is a non-issue (though with other apps it is)  
I not agree.
My old TV has a poor SD/720p ->1080p upscaling, as the shield.
I need to keep my rpi to watch my entire musical dvds collection (and some 720p movies)
No word about this SHIELD Experience 7.2 update anywhere else on the net?
  • 104(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188