• 106(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
Out of curiosity:
1) I have just update my Shield TV to 7.2v. I have many video files inside a HDD: UHD, mp4, mpeg files, etc. etc. Do I need to able something on the Settings to enable automatic "color space"?
2) I disabled "device management" on my PC with Windows 10. Do I have to enable it? I think it is irrelevant, even if Shield TV connects wirelessly. Right?
Thanks
With 7.2 update, there is FINALLY option (under developer options) to keep SHIELD remote awake (2017 one, bluetooth connected). Which means that after nearly two years since release, this remote is finally usable. Love it!
(2018-12-13, 15:03)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Out of curiosity:
1) I have just update my Shield TV to 7.2v. I have many video files inside a HDD: UHD, mp4, mpeg files, etc. etc. Do I need to able something on the Settings to enable automatic "color space"?
2) I disabled "device management" on my PC with Windows 10. Do I have to enable it? I think it is irrelevant, even if Shield TV connects wirelessly. Right?
Thanks
There is no auto color space switch in 7.2. It was a mistake in the change log. I think we will have to wait another 3 months for the next update...
(2018-12-13, 15:30)rene.hav Wrote: With 7.2 update, there is FINALLY option (under developer options) to keep SHIELD remote awake (2017 one, bluetooth connected). Which means that after nearly two years since release, this remote is finally usable. Love it!
I got my Shield recently and haven't watched a full movie. What was the behavior of the remote so far. Did it stop working mid movie?
(2018-12-13, 18:52)keanustar Wrote:
Thanks
There is no auto color space switch in 7.2. It was a mistake in the change log. I think we will have to wait another 3 months for the next update...  
But are you sure Shield TV will have that auto color space switch with 7.3 version? I'm afraid a new Shield TV will get that option and the new Shield TV will replace the old one.
Didn't you return your shield?
I am an unfortunate man. I replaced it with another one.
(2018-12-13, 21:03)FoxADRIANO Wrote:
(2018-12-13, 18:52)keanustar Wrote:
Thanks
But are you sure Shield TV will have that auto color space switch with 7.3 version? I'm afraid a new Shield TV will get that option and the new Shield TV will replace the old one.
They confirmed that it is being worked at. Everybody thought that it will be inclueded in this update. Even the change log from the Shield stated that. I believe they removed it just before the update was pushed due to issues maybe.

I'm still holding to my Minix U9 for this reason...
(2018-12-14, 02:44)keanustar Wrote: They confirmed that it is being worked at. Everybody thought that it will be inclueded in this update. Even the change log from the Shield stated that. I believe they removed it just before the update was pushed due to issues maybe.

I think you will be waiting a while for auto colorspace switching to be implemented. Other media player platforms have had over 1+ years head start with ironing out that sort of functionality already.

Remember the Shield now has a new v4.9 Linux Kernel that is causing all sorts of fun and games for PS3 controller connectivity, previously working DAC's & more.
Bedding that and bug busting would be priority No. 1 - especially getting working, reliable SMB2/3

Dual boot and throw LibreELEC Krypton or CoreELEC Leia on the U9 and a nice, pretty much bug free Kodi world will then open up !

And all those security vulnerabilities U9 is exposed at? Come on, you know how old it is the latest security patch on the last good FW.
You should not be using Android at all on any hardware if you are worried about security Wink

Notice I did say LibreELEC or CoreELEC above with the U9.

(2018-12-14, 02:44)keanustar Wrote: They confirmed that it is being worked at. Everybody thought that it will be inclueded in this update. Even the change log from the Shield stated that. I believe they removed it just before the update was pushed due to issues maybe.

I am very disappointed with Shield TV. I tested two Shield TV and both have problems. I never bought a such bad and exensive toy in my life. If with next update there will not be the automatic color space, I will sell my Shield TV and I will buy Minix or another device. I'm one of those disappointed users and you know why? Because the official NVIDIA website doesn't talk or talk very little about Shield TV features. They seem to be afraid to talk about Shield TV. I just have to trust what the users are saying.
(2018-12-14, 13:38)FoxADRIANO Wrote:

I am very disappointed with Shield TV. I tested two Shield TV and both have problems. I never bought a such bad and exensive toy in my life. If with next update there will not be the automatic color space, I will sell my Shield TV and I will buy Minix or another device. I'm one of those disappointed users and you know why? Because the official NVIDIA website doesn't talk or talk very little about Shield TV features. They seem to be afraid to talk about Shield TV. I just have to trust what the users are saying.  

It's worth remembering that Shield TV is sold primarily as a gaming platform, with Netflix and Amazon Prime Media player duties as a strong secondary use case.  In that arena it's a pretty good choice.  

nVidia don't really have any significant interest in Kodi - though as a 'background' driver for sales, and I suspect because some of their developers may also run Kodi personally, it does get some support.

If you compare the Shield TV to its nearest rival - the Apple TV 4K - both have pluses and minuses.  There is no perfect box.

Also your use case, which is UHD Rec 709 SDR, is incredibly niche.  TVs and Media Players are not hugely concerned to correctly support content in that format as it's not in widespread commercial use.  I'm not saying that excuses poor support for that format - but it is not going to be something that gets a lot of effort targeted at it. (Heck - my previous Sony UHD HDR TV couldn't display native 50Hz content without dropping and repeating frame pairs in anything other than GAME mode...)

UHD HDR10 Rec 2020 is the dominant UHD format (along with DolbyVision), with UHD SDR Rec2020 the secondary UHD format.  UHD SDR Rec 709 is not in widespread use by any major production on Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC etc.
(2018-12-14, 14:13)noggin Wrote: nVidia don't really have any significant interest in Kodi - though as a 'background' driver for sales, and I suspect because some of their developers may also run Kodi personally, it does get some support.
 Nvidia actually sponsored Kodi a few years ago and sent every single Kodi Team member a 1st generation Shield device. This is the reason why its so well supported and will continue to be the best device going forward.
(2018-12-14, 14:13)noggin Wrote: It's worth remembering that Shield TV is sold primarily as a gaming platform, with Netflix and Amazon Prime Media player duties as a strong secondary use case.  In that arena it's a pretty good choice.  

nVidia don't really have any significant interest in Kodi - though as a 'background' driver for sales, and I suspect because some of their developers may also run Kodi personally, it does get some support.

If you compare the Shield TV to its nearest rival - the Apple TV 4K - both have pluses and minuses.  There is no perfect box.

Also your use case, which is UHD Rec 709 SDR, is incredibly niche.  TVs and Media Players are not hugely concerned to correctly support content in that format as it's not in widespread commercial use.  I'm not saying that excuses poor support for that format - but it is not going to be something that gets a lot of effort targeted at it. (Heck - my previous Sony UHD HDR TV couldn't display native 50Hz content without dropping and repeating frame pairs in anything other than GAME mode...)

UHD HDR10 Rec 2020 is the dominant UHD format (along with DolbyVision), with UHD SDR Rec2020 the secondary UHD format.  UHD SDR Rec 709 is not in widespread use by any major production on Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC etc. 
I don't know why every time you answer to my posts you are able to calm down. Wink Wink I know, you already told me other times all that you have just written. What I regret is that a good device to watch video files doesn't exist. You tell correctly when you tell UHD is HDR10 Rec 2020 but there aren't cameras or videocameras with that option. All cameras are Rec 709.  I don't refer to broadcast cameras with a prohibitive cost for us mortals. I refer to semipro cameras. Now I have Lumix GH5 and it is considered the best camera in the world for video but there isn't UHD HDR10 Rec 2020. I don't know what to do. ufff
(2018-12-14, 18:02)FoxADRIANO Wrote: .Now I have Lumix GH5 and it is considered the best camera in the world for video but there isn't UHD HDR10 Rec 2020. I don't know what to do. ufff

I thought the GH5 had an update enabling HEVC recording to UHD HLG rec.2020
  • 106(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188