• 123(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
Hello
I have a NVidia Shield TV 2017 and I use a Yamaha RX-A3080 receiver together with a Sony KD55XG9505 55", 4K, LCD. Everything works well, except that Kodi does not play 4K HDR content with the correct colors. The passthrough of the HDR content from the Shield through the Yamaha receiver to the Sony screen works well, at least that's what the Color Range tells from the Android OS: 10Bit. I use the latest version of Kodi. I followed all hints from this post, but still I'm not able to get HDR content played correctly with the Shield - the colors are not displayed correctly - they are very flat and there is no HDR Logo displayed during player HDR movies. I use the Kodi default interface profile. Can somebody help?
(2019-04-27, 11:33)theohuber Wrote: Hello
I have a NVidia Shield TV 2017 and I use a Yamaha RX-A3080 receiver together with a Sony KD55XG9505 55", 4K, LCD. Everything works well, except that Kodi does not play 4K HDR content with the correct colors. The passthrough of the HDR content from the Shield through the Yamaha receiver to the Sony screen works well, at least that's what the Color Range tells from the Android OS: 10Bit. I use the latest version of Kodi. I followed all hints from this post, but still I'm not able to get HDR content played correctly with the Shield - the colors are not displayed correctly - they are very flat and there is no HDR Logo displayed during player HDR movies. I use the Kodi default interface profile. Can somebody help?

10 bit doesn't mean HDR passthrough is working.  (SDR video can be output in 10 or 12 bit too)

It sounds as if somewhere in your set-up the HDR PQ EOTF (Electro Optical Transfer Function) metadata / info frame information that triggers your TV into HDR mode isn't being passed through or is being ignored.

My Sony HDR Android TV has an Advanced Video setting - which is stored for each HDMI input (not globally) - that lets me manually set the HDR mode for that input between OFF, AUTO (i.e. follow what the HDMI source signals), HDR10 (i.e. force HDR10 mode) and HLG (i.e. force HLG mode)

It's in Picture->Advanced Settings->Video Options->HDR Mode (There is also a menu option for Colour space that lets you manually override the colour gamut between Rec 709, Rec 2020 etc.)
(2019-04-27, 11:33)theohuber Wrote: Hello
I have a NVidia Shield TV 2017 and I use a Yamaha RX-A3080 ...

Have you made sure you have the Yammy in Mode 1, found in its advanced settings menu. ?

Page 161:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/ot..._En_B0.pdf

Thanks for your replies @noggin and @wrxtasy 
Meanwhile I've found the solution: the Sony TV requires HDR enabled at two points: for the entire TV (General screen settings - advanced image settings, as mentioned by noggin) and once for each HDMI Input (screen/image settings).
Now Kodi plays the 4K HDR movies with correct colors. If I go to the image settings of the sony TVs shield HDMI input while playing HDR content, the small "HDR" sign appears too :-)
Thanks a lot for you help!
(2019-02-22, 13:22)Kolabor Wrote: There is new firmware for the remotes that fixes battery drain. It is in Shield FW v7.2.3 which is in tests rigth now.

I installed latest firmware, but i always have same problem (absurdly the batteries last even less, a week at the most).

You can confirm?
I have recently noticed an intermittent buzzing on my Subwoofer. I have been through some troubleshooting and narrowed the cause down to being the Kodi App.

It doesn't start as soon as the app starts, but at some point either during or after playing certain files it starts. If I force close the app the buzzing stops. 

My set up is

Kodi App > Nvidia Shield TV > Denon AVR X3300W > iNuke DSP3000 Amp > Passive Subwoofer.

Can anyone help out on this?
The automatic refreshrate change does not work always, all i whitelisted.
If it does not work, I have to restart Kodi. Don`t need to restart Shield just Kodi.

Is this a known error?
I will say that Kodi always running on the Shield, I just put it tot sleep until next time I want to use it.

Thats why I have not pull a log, it to big for pastebin and Kodi "pastebin".
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
I’ve also noticed the automatic refreshrate issue. Auto refreshrate now only works when I set my Nvidia to 60hz
Setup: LG OLED65B7 | Denon AVR X7200WA | OPPO UDP-203 4K Blu-Ray player | Nvidia Shield TV | KEF T205
My Favorite Skin: Arctic Horizon
Hi, as i never found a sure answer, do i see it correct that the shield does not support HLG (HDR) Format ? only HDR10 i guess wich is working fine here.
If I plug my nvidia shield on the hdmi on my Lg Oled and I watch a movie with Kodi in true hd 

1) Can kodi convert the signal to DD+ ? so my tv can send yo my soundbar  ARC
2)Can Kodi convert DTS HD to DTS?

4)Kodi can read all type of sub on 4k mkv ??
(2019-05-10, 23:20)ignade82 Wrote: If I plug my nvidia shield on the hdmi on my Lg Oled and I watch a movie with Kodi in true hd 

1) Can kodi convert the signal to DD+ ? so my tv can send yo my soundbar  ARC
Not DD+ - but you can enable transcoding to DD. Configure Kodi for 2.0 output (unintuitive I know), and then a 'transcode to Dolby Digital/AC3' option appears under the DD/AC3 passthrough switch.  This will allow you to transcode 5.1 FLAC, AAC, PCM etc. audio to 5.1 DD.
Quote:2)Can Kodi convert DTS HD to DTS?

No - but most (all Blu-ray) DTS HD content contains a DTS core - so that is bit streamed instead. (DTS HD as used on Blu-ray consists of a DTS Core signal + a DTS-HD 'add on' that contains information that can be added to the DTS core to create a loss-less output instead. (There is technically a version of DTS-HD that doesn't have a core I believe - but I don't think it's seen 'in the wild' much as DTS-HD is sourced from Blu-ray rips, unless people have mastered it themselves)
Quote:4)Kodi can read all type of sub on 4k mkv ??

I've not found any subtitles that Kodi can't handle yet that are in the mkv wrapper spec (or external) and I've not found them to be resolution dependent.
what is the utility to use REC 709 to REC 2020 mapping if the shield TV is set to UHD 12 bits REC 2020 when we play 1080p REC 709 file ?
If with the shield TV set to REC 709, a 1080p will be play on REC 709 and a UHD REC 2020 on REC 2020 automaticaly with KODI ? right ?
Quote:Enable Developers options: Go to Settings > About > Build > Click 7 times on build to become a developer (you will see a toast which will say you are now a developer)
Then, go to Settings > Developer Options > Colorimetry (set toggle to ON) > restart device for changes to take effect
(2019-05-17, 17:39)Hitcher Wrote:
Quote:Enable Developers options: Go to Settings > About > Build > Click 7 times on build to become a developer (you will see a toast which will say you are now a developer)
Then, go to Settings > Developer Options > Colorimetry (set toggle to ON) > restart device for changes to take effect
Thanks
I use kodi for my library 4k but other software for streaming like popcorntime cinema hd etc.
I know kodi auto switch resolution and refresh rate but what for app like popcorntime , cinema hd etc.?
If I set 1080P on the shield
Kodi will auto change so my TV can upscale 1080 to 4k
Popcorn etc will stay 1080p and TV upscale to 4k

If I set 4k on the shield
no problem with kodi
but popcorn will be upscaled to 4k with shield??

Which resolution and colour are correct ?

My shield will arrive tomorrow Big Grin
(2019-05-17, 17:39)Hitcher Wrote:

Thank you Wink
  • 123(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188