• 60(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
Some folks with the Shield Experience 6 update are reporting problems with remote lag with the lag being quite considerable in some cases. Nvidia are working op an update which will be pushed to affected devices soon. I'm guessing that once it's been tested thoroughly at the user end, the update will be pushed to all devices (given that many folks who might be affected might not even be aware of the Shield forums or the thread:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...-6-update/

Must admit I really like Kodi 17 on the Shield, much more polished and very TV type remote friendly. I've tried SPMC a few times and while I have immense respect for Koying I just can't see where using SPMC is preferable to Kodi, part of that comes from the fact the I really can't stand the Confluence layout after Estuary plus I've had crashes and problems with SPMC that I haven't had with Kodi. Looking forward to Kodi 18.

On the Shield with SPMC when I was trying it I found the global search from Google Assistant using OK Google REALLY patchy on returning results from SPMC. Plex, no problems, comes up mostly every time. I'm told it might be down to naming of the files? As an example I have a movie named "Alien.m4v". Someone suggested that SPMC would only find it if you asked to search for Alien.m4v? Can't see that though? Every movie will have to have an extension, surely you can't be expected to add the extension every time? But searching for Alien throws up a result for Plex, not for SPMC.

Only other query I have. The Shield has Plex player installed by default. If you have the Plex app on the Shield what would be the point of having the Plex add-on in Kodi? Unless maybe it does TrakT support better?? Can't think of what the benefit would be especially when Kodi will play all your local media anyway??
just got a shield tonight and for some reason i cant seem to add any of my networked computers as video sources - it doesnt even give me any options when i go to 'windows network(smb) when trying to add a source.

Any trick to be able to get to 'workgroup' to add my computers ?

edit - still not sure why i couldnt get to add my computers as sources the regular way but i did manage a workaround by adding a network source and typing in the ip address of the computer
I absolutely hate that and wish there was a solution to using HOSTNAME Name vs. IP....It apparently just times out in Linux, android, openelec, NOT windows. I imagine if it was easy to fix it would have been a long time ago.
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV
You know how life is.. you're busy, and now and then you get an urge to treat yourself with a new gadget.

So I come back to the idea of a shieldTV every now and again.
The idea off having the google assistant to show my photos easily and reliably is nice.
the idea of being able to voice trigger my song requests (Play Music) is also nice. (--this is possible right? better check!)
the idea of 'play the news' voice command i think would also be handy for me in the mornings.

just flicking thru androidpolice.com.. we seem to be at a point where devices of all kinds can offer remote voice functions but with varying span.
-- you've got the google home, the nest? the .. amazon one? (alexa?) and obviously the new splurge of Pixel phones all showing off about their google assistant. i guess its always the way, new features... fragmented rollout etc.. you have to choose wisely to your requirements.

--- quick question: can Nvidia Shield also do the 'play the news' function yet?

Its great to know i can still have kodi running on there, essential for me.

But the other box in my mind is the minix UH-9.
Full android is tempting at face value, but i have to think about what it wold offer me that nvidia shield could not..
a decent weeb browsing experience is an obvious baseline of a requirement so, (cos im in the dark on this), is it possible to sideload a 'decent' chrome browser (or any other) and use it effectively with the shield? I know that the Shield is all about that voice remote, but can you use other mice and keyboards with it?

-- further, the A3 lite AirMouse by Minix is very versatile, i can imagine sitting in the chair with my arm rested on the (err.. chair's arm) and fairly lazily being able to point and click, wiimote style. But can that a3 remote work with the shieldHuh - and if so, what kind of voice functionality still exists (i would suspect very little, cant have it all).

google earth, maps, these are potentially nice apps for the TV experience, and, work perfectly fine on the minix U9-H, can we do similar on the Shield?

That's all i can think of for now..
kind thanks for reading.
So the shield experience 6.1 is out, anyone tested it yet?

Sent from my LG-H990
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
Can someone tell if its possible (technically), that NVidia integrates auto-resolution-switch support?
Anything's possible.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2017-08-01, 14:50)wrxtasy Wrote: ALL Android media players (excluding FireTV2), cannot App - Auto Resolution switch 1080p/4K based on the source video content being played.

Shouldn't that be "Most" not "ALL", for example I beleive WeTek to auto resolution switching (https://wetek.com/gb/en/) correct me if I'm wrong?
AMLogic devices that have working Android Kodi Jarvis (SPMC 16.7.1) refresh switching. i.e. The WeTek Hub / Play2 and the MINIX U9-H also have 1080p / 4K auto resolution switching when using Amcodec video hardware acceleration, BUT the Kodi GUI and video scaling is wrong after resolution switching and displays picture outputs only in the top left quartet of the TV screen.

The NVIDIA Shield now, since a recent Firmware update. Has working Kodi 1080p / 4K auto resolution switching, BUT it then has colorspace issues after doing so.

The AMLogic S905 and in the case of 4K HDR, the S905X and S912 devices, have none of the above issues when running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

Hi all,

I'm thinking in buying the Shield Pro as my second media player (first is Zidoo X10). My concern is PQ and AQ. I have read that PQ is worse than Realtek and HiSilicon based media players. I love RTD1295 PQ of my X10, very sharp and clean, colours pop. My question is: Is PQ improved with Shield 6.1 Experience Upgrade? Will the Shield be at the same level of my X10 in regards to PQ and AQ? I don't play 4K nor HDR, only up to 1080p sources but I play SD videos too (mainly DVD backups).

Thanks in advance.
From the START HERE thread, and it still applies....

Demanding potential NVIDIA Shield owners would be advised to read this upscaling thread

This should also be read as a companion article as it pertains to solutions and problems on the Shield with upscaling and colorspaces.
Upscaling Lower Resolution Video to 4K

However SPMC using Lanzcos3-Optimised upscaling I would think would show some improvements for DVD playback when using SPMC.

(2017-11-03, 01:24)wrxtasy Wrote: From the START HERE thread, and it still applies....

Demanding potential NVIDIA Shield owners would be advised to read this upscaling thread

This should also be read as a companion article as it pertains to solutions and problems on the Shield with upscaling and colorspaces.
Upscaling Lower Resolution Video to 4K

However SPMC using Lanzcos3-Optimised upscaling I would think would show some improvements for DVD playback when using SPMC.

Thanks for your reply but I didn't mean that. Upscaling is not a problem any more because since Experience 6.0 the source resolution is set on TV (this is what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong). So my concern is picture clearness, detail, colorimetry, banding, clipping, automatic frame rate switching, stutter (if exists)... PQ overall. I think people with both Shield and Zidoo/HiMedia players can answer this.

Regards
I'm not sure if Kodi or SPMC on the Shield switches down resolutions ie. 1080p > 720p or 1080p > 480p
It certainly does not on other platforms that implement auto resolution switching, you can only go up. 720p>1080p, 1080p > 4K

A 480p GUI would not look very good I would think.

In reality I not sure how much you can improve low bitrate 480p DVD's picture quality anyway.

New Shield User here.
Just received mine yesterday. So far my feelings are a bit mixed coming from a 1st gen FTV.
I immediately got the Update to 6.1 It took me 2 hours of research to realize Google Assistant is not available in Germany, Although Nvidia is clearly advertising it on their German page. That's shady at best and a big disappointment really. Voice Search is far less useful. I really hope this gets resolved quickly.
I did also have lag Problems. On Screen Keyboard sometimes is really slow. Leanback Launcher and various lists take a moment or two to catch up. Once it's running it's great, it just takes a moment or two sometimes. Not what i expected compared to my 60$ FTV. Also, the remote seems to be weirdly directional. Isn't it BT? At least the On Screen Keyboard lagging can sometimes be fixed by pointing at the shield with the remote. I'm hoping there's going to be an Update to fix this. It seems to be OS related as most apps show those "thinking" moments.
The Youtube App is a different one from the FTV. That's good in terms of UI. Bad in Terms of UX. It's just not remembering playback position on videos. Any time you go to the Homescreen or back out of a video it restarts from 0. Maybe i'll push the FTV Version of Youtube.

Game Streaming from my PC (tried it for 10 minutes) works phenomenally well compared to moonlight. Also, this is the first time a SNES Emulator comes close to beeing playable. I like the controller too. Quite a bit actually. Feels more premium than the DS4...

Kodi is great. I installed latest nightly 18. Performance is incredible compared to the FTV. Especially the scrapping of my 250+ movies from the NAS took about a 5th of the time. I didn't dive into video settings yet as i didn't watch any movies yesterday. I will next week though. As my setup is pretty "bare bones" in terms of home cinema (1080p only, no surround sound) i don't expect any Problems here.

Overall, the Kodi Experience is phenomenal. Everything else isn't quite as smooth as i expected for a 250€ box. Especially region locking a feature nvidia explicitly advertised leaves a bitter taste.
(2017-11-03, 01:11)boblo Wrote: My concern is PQ and AQ
+ 1
On my Zidoo X9S PQ is fantastic.
On Shield the PQ is at the same level?
  • 60(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188