• 4(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2017-01-17, 05:55)CapnBry Wrote: My remote seems to work from another room, no like of sight needed. I am a little confused about one thing though: how does one charge the remote? It doesn't seem to have any place to plug it in or put a battery in it.

The new remote isn't rechargeable, it takes 2 (from memory) "coin" batteries. I believe some else has stated that you push in and down on the back to slide off the plate. But the batteries are suppose to last for about a year.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-01-17, 05:55)CapnBry Wrote: I am a little confused about one thing though: how does one charge the remote? It doesn't seem to have any place to plug it in or put a battery in it.
You can't charge it. It takes 2 CR2032 batteries. You can open the battery compartment if you gently push on the little depression that you can see at the bottom of the remote.
(2017-01-17, 06:12)wesk05 Wrote: You can't charge it. It takes 2 CR2032 batteries. You can open the battery compartment if you gently push on the little depression that you can see at the bottom of the remote.
Ah thanks! I saw that down there but was concerned that pushing on it might cause damage in some way. That or trying to peel the little micro USB-sized window off on the front of the remote. Also, thanks to you Tinwarble for the same answer.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2017-01-17, 01:45)wesk05 Wrote:
(2017-01-17, 01:27)Tinwarble Wrote: Ok! When you said " all 24p content is output with YCbCr 4:2:2", I wasn't sure if you meant just 4K or actually "all" content no matter the resolution.
Actually that is exactly what I meant. When you set the output resolution to 4K, ALL 24p content is output as YCbCr 4:2:2. I will need to check what happens in 1080p setups.

Update:

On 1080p systems, your color space options are:

As for refresh rate switching behavior, the color space remains the same as the one selected under "Display & Sound" -> "Advanced Settings". If you select YCbCr 4:4:4, it will be YCbCr 4:4:4 after the refresh rate switch. Same with YCbCr 4:2:2. It is only with 4K where it changes to YCbCr 4:2:2
Can you elaborate on refresh rate switching please.
Do Netflix and Amazon output in HDR 24hz or is it still 60hz?
Thank You.
Also dissapointed with the new remote. Feels cheap, often have to press twice, no headphone jack and the mic seems bad. I think the mibox remote is much better. Was the remote for shield 2015 better? If so can I buy one of those and use with my shield 2017? Thank you.
Is it really possible to upgrade the hdmi interface to 2.0b via a software upgrade?

@Tinwarble From where do you have this information?

Greetings Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2017-01-17, 10:23)DaMacFunkin Wrote: Can you elaborate on refresh rate switching please.
On my system, set to 4K 59.940 4:2:0 rec 2020, Netflix, Amazon, HBO Now, and Google Play Movies all stay at 59.940Hz during playback. The only thing that does refresh rate switching is SPMC (unless I am missing an option somewhere to turn it on).
(2017-01-17, 15:34)hoppel118 Wrote: Is it really possible to upgrade the hdmi interface to 2.0b via a software upgrade?

@Tinwarble From where do you have this information?

Greetings Hoppel

Yes, 2.0a to 2.0b only requires a software update. Info comes straight from Nvidia.

(2017-01-17, 16:25)CapnBry Wrote:
(2017-01-17, 10:23)DaMacFunkin Wrote: Can you elaborate on refresh rate switching please.
On my system, set to 4K 59.940 4:2:0 rec 2020, Netflix, Amazon, HBO Now, and Google Play Movies all stay at 59.940Hz during playback. The only thing that does refresh rate switching is SPMC (unless I am missing an option somewhere to turn it on).

Apps have to make use of frame rate switching and currently none of the content providers do. I suggest contacting the content providers and asking them to add support for it.

Kodi/SMPC and Plex support auto frame rate switching.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-01-17, 16:31)Tinwarble Wrote: Yes, 2.0a to 2.0b only requires a software update. Info comes straight from Nvidia.

Thats means theres always the possibility that Nvidia would implement Hybrid Log gamma with HDMI 2.0b

From Hdmi.org
Quote:NOTICE: Previously, HDMI Specification Version 2.0b (HDMI 2.0b) only supported HDR (High Dynamic Range) video transport in the SMPTE ST 2084 EOTF (as applied in the media profile commonly known as HDR10), by referencing the CTA861.3 specification. The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) has recently notified the HDMI Forum of the adoption of a new version of the CTA-861 Specification, CTA-861-G. This new version provides additional support for HDR Video transport by including (among others) an extension to the static metadata signaling to include the HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) EOTF. The HDMI Forum has assessed the applicability of the CTA-861-G Specification to HDMI 2.0b. The HDMI Forum has confirmed that the extension of the static metadata signaling to include HLG can be utilized under the existing HDMI 2.0b Specification. This means that HLG Video Transport functionality may be implemented on HDMI 2.0b compliant devices.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2017-01-17, 16:31)Tinwarble Wrote: Apps have to make use of frame rate switching and currently none of the content providers do. I suggest contacting the content providers and asking them to add support for it.

Kodi/SMPC and Plex support auto frame rate switching.
Yeah the SPMC mode switching works perfectly. I wouldn't have bought the shield tv if I didn't feel confident that it was going work, as it is an important feature to me. Props to all the development folks that make it work!

I don't know who one would email that it would make a lick of difference to the content providers. Hell HBO Now is stereo only. Most providers apps don't even have any thumbnails while fast forwarding or rewinding so you just have to guess how far to go. Emailing tech support to say their apps are missing nice features like refresh rate switching will likely result in someone sending back a link to what display resolutions videos come in. Or a "What are the bandwidth requirements for HD video streaming?" FAQ page. Big Grin
(2017-01-17, 17:32)CapnBry Wrote: I don't know who one would email that it would make a lick of difference to the content providers. Hell HBO Now is stereo only. Most providers apps don't even have any thumbnails while fast forwarding or rewinding so you just have to guess how far to go. Emailing tech support to say their apps are missing nice features like refresh rate switching will likely result in someone sending back a link to what display resolutions videos come in. Or a "What are the bandwidth requirements for HD video streaming?" FAQ page. Big Grin

E-mail them, tweet them, facebook them, tell them to add it in a Play Store review. It's about numbers, enough of their users request it then it makes it harder for them to ignore. And no one every got anything done by not doing anything because they felt it would fail.

Plus, it's already supported under Android, all they have to do is implement it in their app.
or just tell them to create a Kodi add-on and we'll handle the rest Wink
Or tell them to do both............options! Laugh
(2017-01-17, 16:31)Tinwarble Wrote: Yes, 2.0a to 2.0b only requires a software update. Info comes straight from Nvidia.

Great, thank you for this information!
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2017-01-17, 03:48)Tinwarble Wrote: Nobody knows. Google Assistant hasn't been released yet for the Shield.

But it should work much like the Google Home.
You can integrate it right now, but it requires IFTTT and is generally klunky.

Google released the assistant API, so basically someone needs to develop a Kodi service to integrate with it.

https://developers.google.com/actions/de...nversation
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188