Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
Alright everyone, here's somethings that I've learned yesterday (for those interested).

1. Youtube 4K HDR / VP9 profile 2 support. - They are "looking into it". No details were gone into, but that it was not dismissed so there is a possibility that it may come in the future. But don't take that to the bank.

2. USB tuner support - This is coming, probably within the next couple of months. No details were discussed, but from what was said there is more coming with tuner support than just simply adding tuner drivers. It was stated that customers will be "pleasantly surprised", which you may or may not be. Wink

3. Mixed HDMI issues - I brought this up, but they weren't aware of the issue. I did try to explain it the best I could, having to go by forum posts since I don't have anything to personally test against, but with differing reports the last couple of days, I'm not actually sure what the issue is now. If anyone that has tested the issue and wants to detail what they are experiencing, feel free to PM me or post here with the details and I will make sure that it gets pushed to Nvidia. No guarantees on a fix though.

4. Removal of IR receiver on 16GB model - This was basically explained that it was because of Harmony remotes. [Assumption - my explanation] The IR receiver on the Shield was specifically added to support Harmony remotes. Since the majority of Harmony remotes support BT, there was no need for the IR receiver (support for future peripherals, not backwards compatible).

5. Expanding Beta program - They are looking to expand the beta program and will be adding a sign up page on the Geforce forums sometime in the future. So if you want to be a beta tester to help improve the SATV, look for that.

6.Difference between 2017 & 2015 Leanback Experience - There will be a minor difference between how apps on Leanback are displayed, between the '15 & '17 Shields. That being that Amazon & Netflix will not be in the apps section, instead they will remain in the Shield Hub row. Apparently this is because of deals that were made when the 2015 model was launched and Nvidia is still bound by those deals.

7. 2015 Shield update - There have been many complaints about the '15 Shields not getting the update at the same time as the release of the '17 Shields. This was because there was a major issue found in the software literally at the last minute. Nvidia had every intention of releasing the update the same day, but had to pull out of dong so as not to push out a update that had a major flaw.

That's about all I can think of for now, there was more discussed, but mostly related to gaming (more game support for Gamestream and more added to GeForce Now). If I think of something else I'll update the post.

NOTE: Though I use SATVs as my main devices for Kodi and media consumption (not the only though), I have no affiliation with Nvidia, I get nothing from them but information (not that I don't try Wink ) and I am under no NDA. I was asked to join a program last year specifically because of my interaction in the Kodi community, and as such I attempt to promote adding features and fixing bugs specific to Kodi.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Messages In This Thread
RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - by Tinwarble - 2017-01-20, 18:55
Rip CDs? - by crisp waffles - 2017-03-20, 21:19
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188