• 58(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2017-09-03, 03:22)Nickelig Wrote: There are alot of others with the issue too on the nvidia forum... and there is an alarming number of people who say this started to happen with Kodi 17 and it never happened with 16.

If it only started happening with v17 you need to start a new thread and at least post a Debug log (wiki).
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I've been using Kodi 17 singe early beta on my Shield, watching at least 1 or 2 hours a day. Shield never rebooted here.
(2017-09-02, 00:40)paulorox Wrote: I've got 3 Shield TVs.

The 2 that are set to 4K reboot randomly from time to time. It's not only when watching Kodi. It can happen watching Netflix as well.

The one set to 1080p never reboots.
Sounds like the GPU (could possibly be the VPU) is overheating the Shield because it is working extra hard to upscale everything to 4K and output that to a 4K TV. This picture upscaling will happen virtually all the time unless you are playing actual 4K video.

Where as the Shield set to a system resolution of 1080p rarely makes the Shield's upscaling hardware working hard at all because most video content is 1080p. You are then making the 4K TV doing the hard work upscaling picture outputs from 1080p > 4K using its superior upscaling hardware.

Thanks, I don't have any 4K video that I play via Kodi but I am interested in watching 4K video via Netflix.

Would you suggest I set the Shield to 4K but Kodi to 1080p?
Yes if you want to try and fix your overheating and random reboot problems.

Netflix does not have much 4K Ultra HD content anyway.
Switch your Android Screen Resolution settings manually to 4K when you only watch 4K video content, leave it at 1080p60hz for the majority of the time.

Its why if Android Firmware and App developers ever properly implemented Auto Resolution App switching users would have none of these problems.

I also believe that the shutdown problem with my shield&kodi is gpu related. Since making my last post, I have switched resolution from 4k to 1080p (I have no 4k content anyway) and also I have turned off hardware acceleration and use software decoding now.

The shields cpu is fast enough for software decoding (even 1080p hevc), so all of my content is covered. I have had not a single shutdown since. I will continue to monitor the situation but my gut feeling is that either the gpu is faulty or it is overheating. The cpu seems to do the job just fine, cpu load is between 10% and 40% depending on the content.
(2017-09-05, 12:16)Nickelig Wrote: also I have turned off hardware acceleration and use software decoding now.
No do not do that because video hardware acceleration is far more efficient when done in the Visual Processing Unit (VPU) Hardware on ARM based devices vs using CPU Software decoding.

You will actually be generating MORE heat by loading up the CPU's and making them work harder CPU Software decoding everything.

(2017-09-05, 12:41)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-09-05, 12:16)Nickelig Wrote: also I have turned off hardware acceleration and use software decoding now.
No do not do that because video hardware acceleration is far more efficient when done in the Visual Processing Unit (VPU) Hardware on ARM based devices vs using CPU Software decoding.

You will actually be generating MORE heat by loading up the CPU's and making them work harder CPU Software decoding everything.

That is probably right if heat is the problem. I am no expert on those matters but could there be another problem with the gpu of shield? I had multiple shutdowns each day before the changes and now it is stable.
While heat will definitely cause the issue, unless you have the Shield setting on top of a heat source I highly doubt that's the cause, at least not under normal circumstances. There are many things that could be the cause, including having a bad unit, bad power source, another app, etc.

Easiest thing to do is to first try a factory reset. If it's still doing after that, then dump a logcat and see if anything gets reported when the Shield shutdown.

Also, are these "shutdowns" or reboots? A shutdown would be the Shield completely turns off and doesn't turn back on.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-09-05, 19:54)Tinwarble Wrote: While heat will definitely cause the issue, unless you have the Shield setting on top of a heat source I highly doubt that's the cause, at least not under normal circumstances. There are many things that could be the cause, including having a bad unit, bad power source, another app, etc.

Easiest thing to do is to first try a factory reset. If it's still doing after that, then dump a logcat and see if anything gets reported when the Shield shutdown.

Also, are these "shutdowns" or reboots? A shutdown would be the Shield completely turns off and doesn't turn back on.

Shutdowns, never reboots. It is off and I have to use the touch power button on top of it. Only happens with Kodi, though that might be statistical probability because 95% of my shield usuage is Kodi.

I don't think it is overheating, I am fairly sure it is now hotter than ever with constant cpu usuage from software decoding... but now it is stable... 3 days stable in a row is something I have no had in months.

Anyway, I tried everything incl. factory reset... didn't help and didn't help anyone else with the issue. I will give the Vero 4k a try soon because I have other issues with the shield (known limitations of the shield, or shall I say limitations of Android).
Anyone that has been holding off on getting a Harmony Smart Control Hub, it's on sale today for $69.99

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-...rt+Control
Hi All,
I can use Yatze to contro Kodi on the Nvidia Shield? I can't find the host.

Thank you Wink
I've been testing a recent Leia nightly build on my Shield for a couple of days and it seems to work surprisingly well. It's definitely better than Krypton was during the first few Beta builds. Live tv deinterlacing works now when channel surfing with Tvheadend and the Leanback launcher recommendations is a really cool feature.

Keep up the good work, Team Kodi!

Edit:

It looks like I was celebrating too early about the playback quality. Initially deinterlacing works, but after about 10 minutes playback the framerate gets halved and playback becomes less smooth. This happens with both live tv and recordings. A channel switch or rewind/ffd/time skip makes the video smooth again for a while.
Kodi @ NVidia Shield Android TV, Asrock J3455-ITX (LibreELEC Server), Windows 10, and Nexus 7 (2013)
How do I turn the Shield off from inside Kodi?

At the moment I'm turning it off by closing Kodi, then going to the shield settings and clicking sleep. Its about 15 clicks sometimes!! very frustrating.
You can't and it shouldn't take 15 clicks. Just press the Home button and then long press the back button.

Or if you haven't turned the sleep timer off just let it stay idle and it will go to sleep by itself.
  • 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188