Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
New Shield User here.
Just received mine yesterday. So far my feelings are a bit mixed coming from a 1st gen FTV.
I immediately got the Update to 6.1 It took me 2 hours of research to realize Google Assistant is not available in Germany, Although Nvidia is clearly advertising it on their German page. That's shady at best and a big disappointment really. Voice Search is far less useful. I really hope this gets resolved quickly.
I did also have lag Problems. On Screen Keyboard sometimes is really slow. Leanback Launcher and various lists take a moment or two to catch up. Once it's running it's great, it just takes a moment or two sometimes. Not what i expected compared to my 60$ FTV. Also, the remote seems to be weirdly directional. Isn't it BT? At least the On Screen Keyboard lagging can sometimes be fixed by pointing at the shield with the remote. I'm hoping there's going to be an Update to fix this. It seems to be OS related as most apps show those "thinking" moments.
The Youtube App is a different one from the FTV. That's good in terms of UI. Bad in Terms of UX. It's just not remembering playback position on videos. Any time you go to the Homescreen or back out of a video it restarts from 0. Maybe i'll push the FTV Version of Youtube.

Game Streaming from my PC (tried it for 10 minutes) works phenomenally well compared to moonlight. Also, this is the first time a SNES Emulator comes close to beeing playable. I like the controller too. Quite a bit actually. Feels more premium than the DS4...

Kodi is great. I installed latest nightly 18. Performance is incredible compared to the FTV. Especially the scrapping of my 250+ movies from the NAS took about a 5th of the time. I didn't dive into video settings yet as i didn't watch any movies yesterday. I will next week though. As my setup is pretty "bare bones" in terms of home cinema (1080p only, no surround sound) i don't expect any Problems here.

Overall, the Kodi Experience is phenomenal. Everything else isn't quite as smooth as i expected for a 250€ box. Especially region locking a feature nvidia explicitly advertised leaves a bitter taste.

Messages In This Thread
Rip CDs? - by crisp waffles - 2017-03-20, 21:19
RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Oct. 06, 2017 - by domsch1988 - 2017-11-03, 09:10
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188