• 61(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2017-11-04, 10:25)mamachan Wrote:
(2017-11-03, 01:11)boblo Wrote: My concern is PQ and AQ
+ 1
On my Zidoo X9S PQ is fantastic.
On Shield the PQ is at the same level?

I agree that Zidoo PQ is excellent so I'm in the same boat as you. Some time ago Shield PQ was mediocre and upscaling horrible, but I don't know if things have already changed. I've asked this question in AVForums too. There are users with both a Zidoo and a Shield in that forum... I will keep you updated with any news.

Regards.
(2017-11-03, 09:10)domsch1988 Wrote: New Shield User here.
Just received mine yesterday. So far my feelings are a bit mixed coming from a 1st gen FTV.
I immediately got the Update to 6.1 It took me 2 hours of research to realize Google Assistant is not available in Germany,

Which is mentioned in the 2nd post of this thread.  There's a lot of information in the 1st two posts in this thread if people would bother to read you wouldn't have to go researching for answers.

As for PQ, the Shield is pretty much on par with other devices and 480 to 1080 upscaling is passable, though probably not a good as it should be (could be a little better), but most people wouldn't notice the difference.  Most of the problems come from 1080 or less to 4K upscaling.

If mostly what you play is 1080p material, you shouldn't notice any difference from any other device.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Quote:If mostly what you play is 1080p material, you shouldn't notice any difference from any other device.

That's the problem. I also play 480p/576p movies (old films, DVD rips, DivX). I don't understand why upscaling on the Shield cannot be the best with the huge horsepower of the octa-core Tegra X1 (the most powerful SoC for media centers, if I'm not wrong). Isn't it able to run the precise Lanczos3 or the Bicubic/Bilinear scaling algorithms without any performance issues (via software since it's likely these methods are not supported in the hardware unlike HiSilicon or Sigma chipsets)?

And a last question: what is the movie player with the best picture? MX Player? Kodi? SPMC?

Thank you very much for your reply.
(2017-11-05, 00:35)boblo Wrote:
Quote:If mostly what you play is 1080p material, you shouldn't notice any difference from any other device.

That's the problem. I also play 480p/576p movies (old films, DVD rips, DivX). I don't understand why upscaling on the Shield cannot be the best with the huge horsepower of the octa-core Tegra X1 (the most powerful SoC for media centers, if I'm not wrong). Isn't it able to run the precise Lanczos3 or the Bicubic/Bilinear scaling algorithms without any performance issues (via software since it's likely these methods are not supported in the hardware unlike HiSilicon or Sigma chipsets)?

The power of the Tegra X1 is really in the GPU - not the CPU.  In CPU terms the 4+4 core CPU benchmarks at around 3x the speed of the Pi 3.  So it is a lot faster - but not an order of magnitude faster in CPU terms.  Beware thinking that the 8-cores in the X1 CPU mean it is twice as powerful as a 4-core device.  The point of the 8-cores is that 4 of them are high power and 4 are lower power, so it is as much about power consumption (and thus heat generation) as it is about raw processing power.

The Pi upscaling is done in the GPU (and done pretty well for the price) - but the nVidia Shield TV has to work within the Android OS and harnessing the power of the GPU for specific tasks is thus trickier.
(2017-11-05, 12:01)noggin Wrote: The power of the Tegra X1 is really in the GPU - not the CPU.  In CPU terms the 4+4 core CPU benchmarks at around 3x the speed of the Pi 3.  So it is a lot faster - but not an order of magnitude faster in CPU terms.  Beware thinking that the 8-cores in the X1 CPU mean it is twice as powerful as a 4-core device.  The point of the 8-cores is that 4 of them are high power and 4 are lower power, so it is as much about power consumption (and thus heat generation) as it is about raw processing power.

The Pi upscaling is done in the GPU (and done pretty well for the price) - but the nVidia Shield TV has to work within the Android OS and harnessing the power of the GPU for specific tasks is thus trickier.

I got it. I think I will wait more time until new Android models from Dune HD/Cloud Media are released. Cloud Media now has launched the Popcorn Hour Rockbox Basic (Android/Linux hybrid) but it's a low end device. Dune HD is going to release new devices too.

Thanks for your explanation
(2017-11-05, 12:13)boblo Wrote:
(2017-11-05, 12:01)noggin Wrote: The power of the Tegra X1 is really in the GPU - not the CPU.  In CPU terms the 4+4 core CPU benchmarks at around 3x the speed of the Pi 3.  So it is a lot faster - but not an order of magnitude faster in CPU terms.  Beware thinking that the 8-cores in the X1 CPU mean it is twice as powerful as a 4-core device.  The point of the 8-cores is that 4 of them are high power and 4 are lower power, so it is as much about power consumption (and thus heat generation) as it is about raw processing power.

I got it. I think I will wait more time until new Android models from Dune HD/Cloud Media are released. Cloud Media now has launched the Popcorn Hour Rockbox Basic (Android/Linux hybrid) but it's a low end device. Dune HD is going to release new devices too.

Thanks for your explanation

Yep - though AIUI Sigma Designs have now left the Media Player space. If you are basing Dune and Popcorn Hour thoughts on the quality of their previous Sigma-based hardware you may be disappointed, as presumably the new players will be non-Sigma-based?

If you want high quality upscaling - x86 solutions may still be the way to go..
Hi guys, ill be getting a new nvidia shield this week and havent had one since koying left the kodi android delopement. I have a 4k HDR Television and would like to know if i should use spmc 16.7 or kodi 17.4?
I dont know if the development of Kodi for Android has picked up again or if it is still better to use spmc?
(2017-11-05, 13:36)busta.rhymes Wrote: Hi guys, ill be getting a new nvidia shield this week and havent had one since koying left the kodi android delopement. I have a 4k HDR Television and would like to know if i should use spmc 16.7 or kodi 17.4?
I dont know if the development of Kodi for Android has picked up again or if it is still better to use spmc?

Think SPMC is currently recommended as the best fit for Shield TV.
(2017-11-05, 13:39)noggin Wrote:
(2017-11-05, 13:36)busta.rhymes Wrote: Hi guys, ill be getting a new nvidia shield this week and havent had one since koying left the kodi android delopement. I have a 4k HDR Television and would like to know if i should use spmc 16.7 or kodi 17.4?

I say current nightlies
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-11-05, 13:41)Martijn Wrote:

I say current nightlies

I bow to others Smile
(2017-11-05, 13:41)Martijn Wrote:

I say current nightlies

I'll second that.

Koying didn't leave the Kodi development, just resigned as maintainer and currently the Kodi v18 nightlies are recommended.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-11-05, 13:35)noggin Wrote: Yep - though AIUI Sigma Designs have now left the Media Player space. If you are basing Dune and Popcorn Hour thoughts on the quality of their previous Sigma-based hardware you may be disappointed, as presumably the new players will be non-Sigma-based?

If you want high quality upscaling - x86 solutions may still be the way to go..

Sadly you're right. Sigma is out of the business, they are now focused on set top boxes, if I'm not wrong. The new players will not be Sigma-based for sure. Dune have revealed via e-mail to some users the availability by the end of this year of new media centers supporting 4K@60fps, BT.2020/HDR and HDMI 2.0b. They will be Realtek or HiSilicon based presumably.

And a last question about this matter: Can an Intel NUC with Kaby Lake chipset achieve the best quality and simplicity (matching the found on Dune/Popcorn Hour players) by running LibreELEC + Kodi + highest quality scalers? Does the NUC have enough horsepower for running these scalers?

Thanks again and sorry for the off-topic.
(2017-11-05, 20:59)boblo Wrote: And a last question about this matter: Can an Intel NUC with Kaby Lake chipset achieve the best quality and simplicity (matching the found on Dune/Popcorn Hour players) by running LibreELEC + Kodi + highest quality scalers? Does the NUC have enough horsepower for running these scalers?

Thanks again and sorry for the off-topic.

Off topic, start another thread if you wish to ask about NUC/Intel capabilities, or look through some of the other threads that already exist on the topic.
Are these the latest Android nightlies?

nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) Leia nightlies are at http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android...8a/master/ , right?

nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) Krypton nightlies are at http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android...a/Krypton/ , right?
3 * Nvidia Shield + Synology NAS DS218+ LG 77CX6LA + Genelec + RasPi/rAudio + Adam T5V + T7V + T10S - ArcoLinux
  • 61(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188