Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2018-01-19, 05:11)wrxtasy Wrote: Pretty hard for any Android TV Apps on the Shield to implement colorspace switching / conversion when the current Google Android Nougat OS does not even have a colorspace Application Programming Interface (API) for Apps to actually use. See this post:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2690262

@Tinwarble states that he believes a Colorspace API may have been added to Android Oreo:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2687172

You then have to actually get ATV App developers to support such an new API. And wait for Google / NVIDIA to update the ATV OS. Which at the moment looks like being delayed.

This would be the exact reason companies like Himedia with the Q5/10 Pro and Zidoo with the X9S use custom HDR10 capable Apps to directly talk to the hardware and bypass waiting for new Google Android API's.

AMLogic don't even bother with custom Apps or waiting for new Google Android API's at all but handle SDR / HDR at a driver and Linux Kernel level. The HDR capable MINIX U9 for example is still running Android Marshmallow.

Another example is the current refresh switching API in the ATV Nougat OS is currently only used by Apps like Plex, SPMC and Kodi, but try and convince other ATV Apps developers like Amazon Video and Netflix that it is actually needed on a relatively small ATV media player userbase is Google's challenge.

Apple have always been pretty strict with Approval of Apps for the tvOS store for use with their Apple TV's. Their "our way or the highway approach" may be considered restrictive but it's the end mainstream media player userbase that ultimately benefits with OS usage consistancy and better ongoing Apps support.
Thx for this explanation, wrxtasy. So Android is really a dead stick if one wants a good, not only Kodi but just generally speaking all round solid experience across apps, with auto switching for refresh rates, hdr-sdr, Color space, Et al, Unless you use players with custom roms such as zidoo, himedia, etc. but my understanding is those use android OS not the atv os, so you need an air mouse or the likes, is that correct?

How about amazon firetv 4k? Since it is based on Android, is it plagued with similar issues for non Kodi apps or is it better than the shield?

I ask this because now I am lookin for a companion box for my LibreELEC player for Netflix/amazon prime, etc. I have the appletv for one room but was hoping to get a cheaper amazon firetv 4k for the other if it provides comparable non Kodi solutiOn to appletv.

Thanks for your valuable input, as always.

Messages In This Thread
Rip CDs? - by crisp waffles - 2017-03-20, 21:19
RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Oct. 06, 2017 - by ozkhan1 - 2018-01-19, 06:19
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188