• 95(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2018-08-31, 16:54)docwra Wrote:
(2018-08-30, 21:55)Wheresthebeef Wrote: One my of favourite remotes to use with the Shield has been the Fire TV Stick remote. 
 Sadly the big feature is still missing. A power button.

Drives me mad having to click 3 or 4  to put the shield into standby. Totally intuitive to my family members as well Sad

EDIT: found a nice little trick for this on the 2017 ONLY. Just click home and back quickly to go into standby.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/...and-tricks 
 Have you tried just holding down the Back button to bring up the setting menu to access Sleep function?
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
(2018-08-31, 17:06)christoofar Wrote:
(2018-08-30, 21:55)Wheresthebeef Wrote: One my of favourite remotes to use with the Shield has been the Fire TV Stick remote. 

Drives me mad having to click 3 or 4  to put the shield into standby. Totally intuitive to my family members as well Sad

EDIT: found a nice little trick for this on the 2017 ONLY. Just click home and back quickly to go into standby.

Have you tried just holding down the Back button to bring up the setting menu to access Sleep function?  
Yep doesn't work inside Kodi, you need to press the home button, hold down the back button for a seconds, then click Sleep now. 3 Clicks and shocking design Sad
Regarding this power off/sleep issue, will it do any harm to turn the Shield's power off at the mains socket without shutting down the box from the settings menu? My 2015/gen 1 Shield shares a power strip with my AVR and TV, amongst other TV boxes and a network switch, so I prefer to turn it all off at the mains socket when they're not in use (which is the majority of the time). Thus far I've always manually shut down the Shield via the menu option before turning the power off because I wasn't sure if any file system corruption or whatever would occur if the power was suddenly cut, in the same way that you shouldn't cut off the power to a Linux or Windows system without first manually powering down via the OS.
People power down these devices?
Some people try to use the remote that comes with the device, which doesn't have a power off button. So you need to put the system to Sleep (or power off), in order to turn off other devices connected to it (like TV's or Receivers), using the ARC settings.

Which is why I don't use the crappy remote that comes with it, and use the Logitech Harmony remote. Which has a power button, and I can customize the hell out of all the buttons, oh, and it has Smarthome features as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-...te+harmony

Only thing missing from the Logitech remote, is the voice features, but with a remote with Smarthome features, and plenty of Alexa devices around the house, I don't really need to speak to my TV too.

Of course, your mileage my vary, just my two cents...
HI all

I have tried searching on "Nvidia Button" but found nothing. Im wondering if anyone knows if its possible to intercept the use of the nvdia buton in kodi so it can be remapped

This is actually not limited to 2017 model. 
My 2015 Shield on the latest 7.1 preview (and using the Fire TV stick remote) goes into sleep mode when I press home and back at the same time.
(2018-08-31, 18:19)Hitcher Wrote: People power down these devices?
 Yeh I used to keep my NUC permanently on, but the shield is so easy to use and turns off and on the TV when it goes into standby or comes out. Its so convenient especially as I could ditch my harmony smart control finally!

Just missing the power off dedicated button. Now we have a perfect 3rd party solution but it looses its connection each night, absolutely gutted as its perfect otherwise :/
In the new 8.1 preview this works on 2015 shield too

Not sure why @Deoxizn didn't just post the link to the article...
https://www.androidauthority.com/nvidia-...hz-900172/
(2018-08-30, 06:45)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-08-30, 05:49)christoofar Wrote: Paired it w/ the Shield, worked great....for a little while them unpaired. Reset it again, dropped again.
El junko....sigh...
I'm not sure you are aware but it is strongly suspected the Shield has 2.4GHz Bluetooth RF interference issues very likely caused by its USB3 port.

Intel have even written a paper about it:
https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/...paper.html

Here is a few more links for you to read:
https://www.bluetoothandusb3.com/the-explanation
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...t/5186567/

And I suspect this is the reason why NVIDIA have not been able to fix such Bluetooth controller issues since the release of the 2017 Shield, a Hardware redesign to the Shield to move the WiFi / BT antenna further away from RF interference sources would be needed.

Another example is the Apple TV 4K's Bluetooth remote, by comparison you see virtually No users reporting remote connectivity and RF interference issues. That device does not even have a USB port. The only time I have seen Bluetooth issues is when a 2.4GHz WiFi antenna was place right next to the ATV 4K.

Remember as well, modern Bluetooth is Bluetooth Low Energy, so you are dealing with low powdered 2.4GHz remote devices and RF transmissions. That are all designed to save battery power and you want to save as much power as possible if using small Coin Cell Batteries.

It's also the reason why, if you bought the $10 USB Mini (WiFi) Dongle Wireless remote, it is very likely you would have had No issues at all. 2.4GHz WiFi uses comparatively more powerful RF transmissions, and such devices use bigger AAA or AA size batteries that are much more powerful.

Another example, the MINIX A2 lite keyboard remote with it's Mini USB WiFi dongle. 2 AA batteries in that lasts approx. 9 month or more with daily usage. It has very good, battery saving - wake from sleep responsiveness, better than it's successor the MINIX A3 lite.
And now for the DIY fix for all Shield Bluetooth controller/remote issues, which yes is cause by the frankly pathetically placed small WiFi/BT antenna embedded into the Shields motherboard. What were NVIDIA thinking !

Click HERE for the DIY, thanks originally to Shield user @Dương93

how fast is spmc/xbmc on shield? i know its more powerfull then even the odroid c2 BUT the c2 you can just boot xbmc/ libre and thats it so no overhead where as spmc/xbmc on shield has to run on top of android
Define "powerful" in regards to the audio and video you want to playback ?

You are comparing a 4K HDR platform in the Shield to a 4K SDR platform in the C2.
The Shield's ARM SoC is more powerful vs the ARM S905 SoC in the C2, it definately has a superior GPU for a faster user interface.

Do you need HDR ?
If so only the Shield has that, but beware it's colorspace issues for mixed SDR & HDR usage.

It also greatly depends upon if your are using SD card storage on the C2 or faster eMMC storage, wireless remotes are also a factor (read the previous post above). You need eMMC storage if you want to run Kodi with fluidity and speed, especially with a large video library. You can also Overclock the C2's CPU & GPU really easily and it runs stable.

Each platform will have their strengths and weaknesses. For example LE Krypton deinterlacing for OTA TV works reliably with the C2. It does not work with any Android Krypton platform.

In general LE/Linux Kodi will be more optimised for the hardware it is running on vs Android Kodi, but Android platforms like the Shield do a lot more with various Apps than just run Kodi.

You original question is too vague with not enough detail about exactly what you want.

How do you play HDR content without any colour banding? I can play a 4K HDR video using Prime and it's fine but play the same video through Kodi and there's banding on sky scenes.
(2018-09-04, 07:17)Hitcher Wrote: How do you play HDR content without any colour banding? I can play a 4K HDR video using Prime and it's fine but play the same video through Kodi and there's banding on sky scenes.
 I've noticed the banding on sky scenes as well using the shield, always assumed it was a bad rip I downloaded rather than a decoding issue.
  • 95(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188