Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2018-10-26, 01:09)wrxtasy Wrote: The Apple TV 4K is actually the preferred media player for those because it has Frame Rate and Dynamic Range Matching support for use with these Apps. Plus there is working DolbyVision and Dolby Atmos, and I've seen no complaints about strangely shaded or washed out color outputs. 
Since we're on a Kodi forum, I figured the person would want to be able to also run Kodi. There's MrMC, yes, but in a lot of ways it's a pale shadow of Kodi. Though I do wish the Kodi devs would steal their idea of a built-in Plex/Emby client. The PlexKodiConnect addon might be a good source to start with.

The amount of DolbyVision content out there is pretty slim, and it requires you have a corresponding DolbyVision capable display. Maybe I'll end up being wrong, but DV just seems like it's going to be the next Betamax or HD-DVD. It is without question a technically superior format to HDR10, even HDR10+, but particularly for people coming from the SDR world, HDR10(+) is good enough, 10-15% cheaper, and easier to find content for. Right now, the same goes for Atmos and DTS:X. The number of people who have even a 5.1 setup is small, let alone people who have a 5.1.2/7.1.2 config. However, Kodi will bitstream Atmos audio just fine, and I assume it can also convert it to multi-channel PCM/stereo. I've never found any content with DTS:X audio, but I would assume that too can be bitstreamed via the Shield, but the ATV might choke on it.

And as I said, I think a lot of people are just assuming everything looks washed out because the UI elements look washed out. It's probably something to do with the chroma subsampling, which would be a lot more noticeable on smaller icons relative to a 720/1080/4k image. My experiences are just that, but I looked very hard for differences in the actual video, and I found none. Plus some people over on the nVidia forums did a check and the Shield is outputting almost perfect levels for all the colors. IIRC, the green is just a little outside the target range. To this observer, the Shield's color matching is perfect where it counts: playing video.

Messages In This Thread
Rip CDs? - by crisp waffles - 2017-03-20, 21:19
RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 - by aerogems - 2018-10-26, 02:35
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188