Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2018-10-26, 05:28)aerogems Wrote:
(2018-10-26, 03:16)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-10-26, 02:35)aerogems Wrote: The amount of DolbyVision content out there is pretty slim, and it requires you have a corresponding DolbyVision capable display. Maybe I'll end up being wrong, but DV just seems like it's going to be the next Betamax or HD-DVD.
I seriously doubt that, especially when you see the biggest Video Streaming platform on the planet supporting it - that being Netflix.
And then you have this ever growing list of affordable content ....

Full list: 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) & Dolby Atmos movies on iTunes

Dolby (insert whatever Tech here) is a very successfully branded and marketed technology. No matter what the company comes up with it's a trusted mainstream brand and is exactly what consumers look for when they think of quality, irrespective of whether such labelling is true or not. Marketing is a very powerful thing.

If NVIDIA were going to jump in bed with anything Dolby they would have done it by now after 3.5 years.

All the above really are considered "Extras" to what in this forum, people are looking for. That being a Plug n Play, minimal hassles, Kodi capable platform.  
 Just out of curiosity, how many of those were actually recorded/filmed using DV/Atmos vs just being run through some conversion program? But even taking all of those on the list, vs all the movies made to date, plus all the ones being made now, it's a pretty small list. Personally, if I had to put money on any format, I'd do it on HLG, because it's likely going to be pushed by broadcast and cable networks, so will become what most people consider to be HDR. I don't really care which one wins, I just want the industry to settle on one format. 

In the mean time, I will continue on my quest to find that one perfect box that does everything I want. Hopefully the fact that currently there are a lot of "almost" devices means in a generation or two there will be multiple devices that can do the job. 
 I think we'll be living with the two HDR families - PQ (HDR10, HDR10+ and DV) and HLG - for the foreseeable.  HLG makes huge sense for general entertainment channels, PQ formats make sense for Hollywood. (Though arguably HLG would be 'good enough' for most people - and because it's less proscriptive about viewing conditions it may be more flexible for average viewers)

But Dolby have a huge amount of Hollywood clout - which can't be underestimated.  Their system DOES require a lot of Dolby or Dolby approved gear though...

Messages In This Thread
Rip CDs? - by crisp waffles - 2017-03-20, 21:19
RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 - by noggin - 2018-10-26, 21:25
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188