Linux Seagate Hard Drive Access - Root Access
I have a seagate drive that is accessible, but is not being read by the Seagate Central unit. It is Linux based and would like to access my movies. Does KODI have the ability to read it since KODI is also Linux based?

I also have MAC OS 10 at home....so that is also an option and I do not know how to use Ubunto.

Thank you in advance.....if anyone could help.
You seem confused. What filesystem is on your hardrive? Is it mounted? Which users have read/write permissions to this filesystem? Kodi is just an application on the system and the user running kodi will need permissions to the files.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
I may not have done a good job describing the sitch....The link I supplied describes it all. It is not mounted....the original software is corrupt, but HD alive and readable....I mounted on Ubuntu and could see all files. I have read and write passwords and provilage...I am the owner....and materials are located in public folder anyway...I know Kodi is Linux based, so It should theoretically be able to read the files...as Ubuntu does...

I just don't know how....
https://myanwyn.blogspot.com/2014/08/how...-data.html
Kodi is not "Linux based" - it's an application, not an operating system.

There are Linux distributions that use Kodi - LibreELEC springs to mind, along with OSMC - but you can equally run Kodi on Windows. Ultimately, it boils down to the filesystem on the drive: how the data is written, how it's laid out on the physical disc, and whether your chosen OS can read that. Linux tends to have the widest range of support, which iswhy Ubuntu could read it, and why it's used as the OS of choice in your link.

After that, it's over to what you then want to do with the data. If you can get it onto a FAT32 or perhaps NTFS-formatted disk then pretty much anything will read it, although there will be limitations on writing.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
(2017-01-18, 00:44)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Kodi is not "Linux based" - it's an application, not an operating system.

There are Linux distributions that use Kodi - LibreELEC springs to mind, along with OSMC - but you can equally run Kodi on Windows. Ultimately, it boils down to the filesystem on the drive: how the data is written, how it's laid out on the physical disc, and whether your chosen OS can read that. Linux tends to have the widest range of support, which iswhy Ubuntu could read it, and why it's used as the OS of choice in your link.

After that, it's over to what you then want to do with the data. If you can get it onto a FAT32 or perhaps NTFS-formatted disk then pretty much anything will read it, although there will be limitations on writing.
Thank you for diagnosis. What is the prognosis? Would paragon work with my mac OS X in this case, to retrev data?
I don't know anything about this Seagate system. If it's a NAS, and that's failed, then you probably want to copy the data off that disk before re-formatting it and re-inserting it into a new array. If it's the disk that's failing, then you probably want to copy the data off before re-formatting with bad sectors or throwing it away. Either way, if your data is valuable, it sounds vulnerable, so you want to be copying it off.

Personally, I'd mount it onto the Ubuntu test you did (you said you could see the files) and copy the data somewhere else - anywhere else - cloud, USB drive(s), local disk(s). Once you have an additional copy (because you already have a backup... don't you?) then you're free to reset the NAS in whatever way is necessary.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
Thank you....I found a perfect solution, implemented and transferred data. Paragon for windows....side mounted, accessed data and copied them all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Seagate Hard Drive Access - Root Access0