Android Help! Small but important question
Hello!

I was just wondering how I could make another category on the main menu of Kodi (where you can choose Movies, Pictures, tvshows,settings etc.)
I have many documentaries and i dont wanna mix them With my Movies or TV shows!

I want a New category calles documentaries and I want ONLY my docs there.

How can i do this? Are there any step by step guides?

I use the Nvidia Shield With Kodi

Thanks! Thanks! And Thanks!
Or can i even make a sub category under Movies perhaps?
Is this also possible, without mixing this With my Movies?
I have a category called videos where i added my docs but they all went inside the Movies catalog!
Is there a way i can put my docs in the video catalog without mixing them With my Movies?
1. Make a smart playlist pointing to your documentaries. Alternatively - use video nodes, make a new one pointing at docs.
2. Install a skin that lets you put custom items in the home menu.
Smart playlist wont work because there are so many docs, and i cant get the rules to include them all!
With video nodes I need to rename all my docs?

I have organised all my docs in a separate folder. Why cant i somehow just point at that and make this a New category?
Isnt there a easier way?
(2017-01-19, 13:44)mrtore Wrote: Smart playlist wont work because there are so many docs, and i cant get the rules to include them all!
With video nodes I need to rename all my docs?

I have organised all my docs in a separate folder. Why cant i somehow just point at that and make this a New category?
Isnt there a easier way?
Read the wiki on smart playlists.
If you have them all in 1 folder making a smart playlist to point at them should take about a minute.
I use <path> and <starts with>, but <path> and <includes> should also work.
I suspect you're thinking of (stoopid) playlists, not the smart variety.
OK im gonna try tonight!

Thanks Trogggy Smile
Good luck. Any problems shout out.
Yeah one last question!

Will this smartplaylist remove my docs from my Movies?
They are now mixed

Thanks again :O Big Grin
You can do the same filtering with video nodes (wiki), so if they're all in one folder (or folder tree) then you're good to go either way.

To get them onto the menu you'll need to use a skin which supports modification of the menu, as the default skins don't. There are plenty of those available in the official repo though.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-01-19, 14:13)mrtore Wrote: Yeah one last question!

Will this smartplaylist remove my docs from my Movies?
They are now mixed

Thanks again :O Big Grin
No. They're scanned as Movies so they show up in the list.

To see Movies without the docs you'd have to do the same thing again - ie a smart playlist or video node that excludes the docs folder. Then stick that on the home screen instead of Movies.
Ok thanks and thanks!!!!

Now Im satisfied! Big Grin

Looking forward trying this home Smile Smile Smile

Love getting quick answers Big Grin
I had this situation but with Stand Up specials. I just added them as concerts and set the source as music video and local data. It means you have get the .nfo and artwork outside kodi, I use ember, you also ideally want a skin that you can change its name on the homescreen.
Everyone has a different way to do this, so let me share mine.

1. If you are using a Media Scraper (MediaElch, or Ember Media Manager, etc). You can simply have all your Documentaries listed with the Documentary Genre. Then, using a Skin that supports changing your home screen buttons (I use Aeon MQ7 which does this and much more), I created new a new button called Documentaries, that shows all the Movies that have the Documentary Genre. I've also created other Genre's using MediaElch called Cartoons (combining Animation and Kids Shows), and Martial Arts, as well as NewTVShows.

One of the benefits of using Genre's is, instead of messing with your entire Movie list, is you get to separate out categories, and you can search for just what you want to watch easily (or at least it is in Aeon MQ7), as you have a sub-menu under Movies, that gives you options like, Genre, Actors, Directors, Years, etc).

So if I didn't want to create a new Home menu item (which you can in Aeon MQ7), I could just bring up the sub-menu under Movies, and search Genre, and scroll down to Documentaries, and it will list all the shows that are Documentaries. It's that easy. Of course being able to make a new Home menu for Cartoons is great for the Kids (less button clicking), or especially for the Wife who wants her NewTVShows on the Home Menu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help! Small but important question0