Linux Kodi filling up syslog
Question 
Hi all.
Today suddenly my htpc is doing something very strange. It's spewing out the following line in /var/log/syslog:

Code:
Jan 20 20:25:03 htpc xinit[1073]: extern "Python": function Cryptography_rand_status() called, but @ffi.def_extern() was not called in the current subinterpreter.  Returning 0.

Everything seems to work as it should, but it's filling up the harddisk very fast with syslog, we're talking hundreds of meg per second. Anyone knows what's happening? Googling the error doesn't give me much.

Currently I'm truncating syslog once every minute so that my family won't kill me because they can't look at "På spåret" Sad

/Daniel

edit: Found this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...ug/1636573 Can't really understand why this is suddenly happening. Is it only me?

edit 2: Yep, the solution in the last comment worked. Sorry for my total panic :-)
Had this as well. I guess you are on Ubuntu 16.04. The solution is to install python-openssl from yakketi (17.04). Naturally you need to include the dependencies as well.

Add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list
Code:
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety main

Then do the following:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -t=yakkety install python-openssl

Then remove the lines from your /etc/apt/sources.list again to prevent your system from completely updating to yakkety.
I ended up downloading and installing deb files for python-openssl and python-cryptography (for Zesty) manually, after that everything works again. Still really understand what suddenly caused this though...
(2017-01-21, 22:09)Daniel Malmgren Wrote: I ended up downloading and installing deb files for python-openssl and python-cryptography (for Zesty) manually, after that everything works again. Still really understand what suddenly caused this though...

I have done the same (I am on ubuntu 16.04 with jarvis 16.1)
And now i have the following versions:
python-cryptography is already the newest version (1.5-2).
python-openssl is already the newest version (16.1.0-1).

However when I clean library, I still have kodi filling logs. At my place it is in ~/.cache/upstart/unity-settings-daemon.log

Not fixed for me. Any ideas ?
(2017-01-23, 20:54)castor_fou Wrote:
(2017-01-21, 22:09)Daniel Malmgren Wrote: I ended up downloading and installing deb files for python-openssl and python-cryptography (for Zesty) manually, after that everything works again. Still really understand what suddenly caused this though...

I have done the same (I am on ubuntu 16.04 with jarvis 16.1)
And now i have the following versions:
python-cryptography is already the newest version (1.5-2).
python-openssl is already the newest version (16.1.0-1).

However when I clean library, I still have kodi filling logs. At my place it is in ~/.cache/upstart/unity-settings-daemon.log

Not fixed for me. Any ideas ?

My mistake, I have upgraded to yakkety versions. I am updating to zesty versions right now.
python-cryptography is already the newest version (1.7.1-2).
python-openssl is already the newest version (16.2.0-1).
It works with zesty versions.
I have Ubuntu 16.04LTS and Kodi 17 and I got it solved.
Post # 2 almost has it correct but nstead of using yakkety, use zesty and also need to get python-cryptography.

It needs the latest
python-openssl version 16.2.0-1
python-cryptography version 1.7.1-2
from zesty

To get those from zesty without having to upgrade to zesty do this:

Add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty main

Then do the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -t=zesty install python-openssl
sudo apt-get -t=zesty install python-cryptography

(you should see it saying messages that it is installing the appropriate version of those things)

Then remove the line from your /etc/apt/sources.list to prevent your system from completely updating to zesty.
Installed the updates.After a couple of tries ( I think the sources.list needed to be updated by reboot) everything seems OK.
Will check log after a few days.
Might even go back to unity from gnome
Thanks
Had this issue too! kc333's steps worked beautifully for me.

Remember to

Code:
apt-get update

after adding the zesty line to your /etc/apt/sources.list!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi filling up syslog1