Win Universal app / Windows Firewall issue
Whenever I update the universal kodi app from the Windows store, the first time I launch it, it gets stuck on the half opened home screen, appearing frozen. Then I remember that there is a windows warning window asking for network permissions for kodi in the background, so I have to alt-tab, approve, and then alt-tab back to kodi (I'm kinda used to it now, but the first time it took me a while to figure out why kodi was frozen)

Is there anyway to fix that? Either by having the dialog appear over kodi so one knows to click on it, or by making sure that different versions of kodi appear with the same id to windows firewall so that once granted access, an update would not require another approval?

I just checked my firewall rules, and there are a ton of kodi entries pointing to kodi exe files in different folders

Here are all the firewall entries:
I guess there's a big fight going on in your system regarding Kodi and it's access Smile I supposed you might change the task priorities, so that the firewall request is on top, but it's usually just once on the install. Are you seeing the windows permissions requester each and every-time you run Kodi? I suspect you might clear out most of the firewall exceptions, re-install and you should have but one request for the exceptions rule.
(2017-01-22, 20:37)PatK Wrote: I guess there's a big fight going on in your system regarding Kodi and it's access Smile I supposed you might change the task priorities, so that the firewall request is on top, but it's usually just once on the install. Are you seeing the windows permissions requester each and every-time you run Kodi? I suspect you might clear out most of the firewall exceptions, re-install and you should have but one request for the exceptions rule.
Firewall requests happen each time I update kodi from the store. I guess each update contains kodi.exe in a different folder so firewall thinks it's a different app.
I second that request. It is very annoying. The problem is that the Windows Store version lands in a new folder after each automatic update. e.g.
  • C:\program files\windowsapps\xbmcfoundation.kodi_16.9.808.0_x86__4n2hpmxwrvr6p\kodi.exe
  • C:\program files\windowsapps\xbmcfoundation.kodi_16.9.902.0_x86__4n2hpmxwrvr6p\kodi.exe
  • C:\program files\windowsapps\xbmcfoundation.kodi_17.0.0.0_x86__4n2hpmxwrvr6p\kodi.exe
The firewall exception you can create for Kodi now uses the absolute path of the kodi exe and thus it needs to be created anew after each update. A solution could be for the kodi Windows Store installer/updater to create a firewall exception for the new path each time.
I have the same issue and it's driving me bonkers, has anyone found a solution for this?
Unfortunately not.

Every time there is an update, I go through the dance of, allowing kodi to pass through the firewall, while kodi crashes due to no network. Then I wait while kodi is killed and then is restarted
This may be something the devs of Kodi can take care of?
I'm not a dev so I cant say if that link is even relevant to the project, if so sorry for bad post.
I created a trac ticket using the information in this thread: https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17761
1 year bump.

Still an issue with the brand new kodi 18

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal app / Windows Firewall issue0