3.5mm audio jack
Wireless — 802.11b/g/n; Bluetooth 4.0 + EDR
Networking — Gigabit Ethernet port via PCI

Other I/O:
4x USB 2.0 ports
Micro-USB port for power
40-pin expansion header with 28x GPIO pins
Contact points for PWM and S/PDIF
Power — 5V/2A power via micro-USB (power supply not included)
Operating systems — Debian; Kodi

85.6 x 56mm RPi size

$68 including VAT at Farnell

http://linuxgizmos.com/raspberry-pi-imit...-4k-video/

What's your opiniton point of view of Kodi?
If ASUS helps out with software support then it might be good. I was excited about this ASUS board, until I saw it was Rockchips and not Intel Sad
Asus 90MB0QY1-M0EAY0 Tinker Board takes on the RPi!

I'm very interested in how this £55 board could take on Kodi with 4K abilities.

Quad core 1.8GHz ARM Cortex-A17 CPU
2GB Dual channel LPDDR3 memory
Gigabit LAN and Bluetooth 4.0 + EDR connectivity
802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
4x USB 2.0 ports
40-pin Internal header with 28 GPIO pins
Contact points for PWM and S/PDIF signals
1x 3.5mm Audio jack connection
CSI port for camera connection
DSI port supporting HD resolution
1x HDMI 2.0 port to support 4K resolution
Micro SD port supports UHS-I
Supports Debian OS with KODI
Power supply: 5V/ 2A Micro USB (not included)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/a...ease-date/
Don't be fooled by specs. Unless a dev is willing to provide the resources to support the Rockchip SOC this board this will be dead in the water. At this price point there is no reason to get this over the well supported ODroid C2 with the S905 AMLogic SOC.
At current state Kodi support is in bad state
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Threads merged
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-01-23, 20:26)DarrenHill Wrote: Threads merged

Thanks! Sorry if I made a duplicate
I read a preview of this board that suggested although it was 4K capable the VPU could only do H264 not H265? Was this a mistake? Apart from integrated WiFi and Bluetooth, and possibly a slightly easier route to add SPDIF output, I don't see the benefit over a C2 - and the C2 will have WAY better Kodi support.
(2017-01-23, 23:38)noggin Wrote: and the C2 will have WAY better Kodi support.

Support came in time. The devs saw the potential and started working on it. (same with Raspberry Pi) Question is, does this have board have any potential. From what your saying It might not Sad

makes you think why Asus copied the layout of the Raspberry Pi. Might mean they are going to try to compete (and get the market share of the poeple that have been buying Rpi, which is a big pie) and they must know that they will have to do something about rockchip, the reason why many other boards with fancy specs were unsuccessful. And this is Asus! not some chinese no name company. And priced pretty good if it can deliver on the specs

Side Note: I think the board looks fu{$ing cool lol I hope they bring something to the table. Love a new toy!! Big Grin
come on Asus get a way to help devs get kodi on this board and watch it sell like hot cakes Big Grin
out of interest, what board do odroid (hardkernel) have in this price range? thats a mature platform for kodi right now
(2017-01-23, 23:48)MediaPi Wrote: out of interest, what board do odroid (hardkernel) have in this price range? thats a mature platform for kodi right now

The C2 with the AMLogic s905 SOC, the same SOC found in the WeTek and OSMC devices. It isn't really up to Asus to provide a good platform for Kodi but rather Rockchip to work with the Kodi devs which it sounds like they haven't in the past. I mean maybe Asus would throw some resources towards better support but I don't really see the value in it for them.
(2017-01-24, 00:00)Jdiesel Wrote:
(2017-01-23, 23:48)MediaPi Wrote: out of interest, what board do odroid (hardkernel) have in this price range? thats a mature platform for kodi right now

The C2 with the AMLogic s905 SOC, the same SOC found in the WeTek and OSMC devices. It isn't really up to Asus to provide a good platform for Kodi but rather Rockchip to work with the Kodi devs which it sounds like they haven't in the past. I mean maybe Asus would throw some resources towards better support but I don't really see the value in it for them.

Thanks
Simple question, where is eMMC Flash storage ?

This fails at the First hurdle so far as fast eMMC storage is concerned for use in a Kodi Media player.
Now in 2017, Virtually every AML S905 will undercut this Tinker board on price and be able to run Kodi from superior eMMC.

(2017-01-24, 01:36)wrxtasy Wrote: Simple question, where is eMMC Flash storage ?

This fails at the First hurdle so far as fast eMMC storage is concerned for use in a Kodi Media player.
Now in 2017, Virtually every AML S905 will undercut this Tinker board on price and be able to run Kodi from superior eMMC.

RPi doesnt have eMMC so I guess the market is really interested in eMMC as much.

"4k video, it's also gigabit ethernet, modifable wifi, almost twice as fast cpu (as RPi3), 2GB of ram instead of 1GB, and much faster GPU supporting newer standards like GLES 3.2 and capable of running Vulkan drivers (if any are developed) etc ." for around £20 more

If rockchip play nicely with dev community this will sell well? but if history is anything to go by, rockchip is doa

but surely Asus know this, why else would they make it so it can be a RPi replacement? They must have a plan to get rockchip to co oporate, otherwise just go with AMLogic?
This is DOA if HD audio bitstreaming isn't supported..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Tinker Board0