• 7(current)
[split] nVidia Shield TV - Importance of Dolby licensing
So if the Shield supports only DD+ and doesn't support DD or DTS what happens when I start those files? It will just convert everything to DD+? Can you at least use passhrough to get DTS on your receiver?
(2018-03-09, 19:06)meccs Wrote: So if the Shield supports only DD+ and doesn't support DD or DTS what happens when I start those files? It will just convert everything to DD+? Can you at least use passhrough to get DTS on your receiver?
I think you're confusing things. The Shield supports pass-through for all formats. DD+ is only supported in Netflix, Amazon, etc. because that's what those apps use. The Shield just doesn't support decoding of any audio codecs.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Dolby Audio Licensed devices that can do DD+ > DD audio conversion to support older DD only AVR's, TV's & Soundbars when using such streaming Apps:

- Amazon Fire TV's
- Apple TV's
- the WeTek Play2 when using an unofficial Android TV ROM (also does DD+ > DD when using SPDIF ouput)

(2018-03-09, 20:32)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2018-03-09, 19:06)meccs Wrote: So if the Shield supports only DD+ and doesn't support DD or DTS what happens when I start those files? It will just convert everything to DD+? Can you at least use passhrough to get DTS on your receiver?
I think you're confusing things. The Shield supports pass-through for all formats. DD+ is only supported in Netflix, Amazon, etc. because that's what those apps use. The Shield just doesn't support decoding of any audio codecs.     
Ohh, yeah I see. I got a bit confused there. Thank you!

Edit: I still think they should have added a Dolby license!
Most NS TV users whom has purchased the High Flagship ATV device from Nvidia will generally have a high-end TV and DSP to connect it to - so this wont be an issue and 99% of users with use 'Passthrough' mode.

Agreed - for the price tho, it should have a Dolby license.
(2017-01-21, 03:54)wrxtasy Wrote: baffling when a $69 Xiaomi Mi Box can come with DD/DTS licenses, and even a 10 year old PS3 can decode 7.1 DD+ to 5.1 Multichannel PCM. Yet a 2017 nVIDIA Shield cannot, when using (Non Kodi) Android Apps. 

OMG, I am glad that I came across these posts by wrxtasy. I was just going to order an NVIDIA Shield to be used with an old AVR.

I have purchased a new Denon AVR few days ago with all the latest bells & whistles and even eARC so I moved my old JVC AVR to bedroom. Since this old JVC still works and I have few old speakers laying around, I thought of setting up a 3.1 speaker set-up in bedroom. I thought my JVC receiver is really neat since it can accept 5.1 LPCM, DTS and DD through its HDMI input so I can buy any media player and let it output DD through SPDIF or LPCM via HDMI.  

I guess I am spoiled by my 2016 Roku 4K Ultra which has SPDIF and can encode everything into 5.1 DD to be passed through SPDIF or HDMI. 

I didn't realize that other media players could be crippled where those cannot even decode ancient DD.  So I appreciate these helpful posts by wrxtasy.

So I have a question here, if  I buy "2018 Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K" , would it be able to output all audio (specifically Netflix, Amazon Video, Kodi and other Android Streaming Apps) via multi-channel LPCM or Dolby Digital? 

Thanks.
(2018-11-10, 11:55)rhoniel Wrote: ... so I moved my old JVC AVR to bedroom. Since this old JVC still works and I have few old speakers laying around, I thought of setting up a 3.1 speaker set-up in bedroom. I thought my JVC receiver is really neat since it can accept 5.1 LPCM, DTS and DD through its HDMI input so I can buy any media player and let it output DD through SPDIF or LPCM via HDMI.  

So I have a question here, if  I buy "2018 Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K" , would it be able to output all audio (specifically Netflix, Amazon Video, Kodi and other Android Streaming Apps) via multi-channel LPCM or Dolby Digital? 

Thanks.

I believe so - see the stick's Hardware post, audio abilities are listed there:

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - 2018 (click)

Your old JVC would also need to be at least HDCP 1.x capable for 1080p video - copy protected - Netflix, Amazon Video etc. streaming.

(2018-11-10, 12:18)wrxtasy Wrote: I believe so - see the stick's Hardware post, audio abilities are listed there:

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - 2018 (click)

Your old JVC would also need to be at least HDCP 1.x capable for 1080p video - copy protected - Netflix, Amazon Video etc. streaming. 
 Thanks for the reply and helpful ideas. The old JVC does have HDCP but I shall test it again tonight with Netflix HDMI output from Roku.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] nVidia Shield TV - Importance of Dolby licensing3