v17 Music playback, loosing sync since update?
(Raspberry Pi 2B, libreelec beta, Kodi 17.0)
Since updating to the current release I've discovered an issue with music playback.
When playing music (I use flac files on a NAS, wired network) the music "skips" in the middle of the tracks. It sounds just like a very quick "frog sound" and makes me think something is loosing sync. Either it's inside the Pi or something making my external dac loosing sync? (Using a Toslink HAT for the Pi)
This never occurred on previous builds? Since only the build has changed it shouldn't be my hardware?
I know the player guys will say no debug log no issue. Provide a debug log (on patsebin or equivlent) playing something that skipped. Is it random, or predictable?

FWIW I have LE on Pi with FLAC on NAS and it all plays fine, so it is probably a settings issue.
What is the make/model of toslink HAT?
Can you confirm if issue still occurs with HDMI or headphones output?
It only appeared after the update... EDIT:for clarity that is from v15.1 - DB
However, after I've had a little time to mull things over, I realize I should probably do some experiments to try and isolate the issue. It could be some issue with the NAS and how it talks with the Pi, I'll have to start with trying it with a local HDD. It could be a setting issue for sure but I have no idea what setting could be causing it?
My gut feeling is that the *blurbs* could possibly be the Pi reconnecting to the NAS to read a new block of data to the internal memory. If the handshake and *talk* takes to long it could cause the new data block not to sync perfectly? I'm just grasping at straws here...
Is there a "keep alive" setting or a priority setting to keep the Pi/NAS connection up and running so as to avoid disconnect issues?
Anyhoo, I'll probably have to fiddle around a little before I can put my finger on what the problem might be.
At first glance it appears random.
The HAT is homemade, not a commercial unit.
I'll have to isolate it and check for HDMI or headphone differences, can't say anything about that atm.
So, I'll be back once I've done some more checking. Smile
Ok, first round of tests.
It appears to be very random, sometimes I can play a whole song without skips and sometime it'll be as little as a few seconds between skips.
After skipping I "rewinded" the track and it did not skip in the same place. Tried it a few times to be sure.
I've played blues, metal, ambient and independent. No discernible pattern based on content type as far as I can tell.
It'll skip in different parts of tracks equally, beginning, middle or end doesn't matter.
It reminds me of the olden days when using a computer as source and when the computer got busy with something else the music would skip.
Library db is now rebuild from scratch w kodi 17.
Second round of tests.
It skips with headphones plugged into the Pi as well.
In Kodi v17 the cache settings have been moved from <network> to <cache> in advancedsettings.xml.
After editing the file appropriately it seems the problem has been resolved and everything is back to normal. *crossing my fingers, don't want to celebrate to early...*
Seems there was a perfectly logical reason why it started missbehaving after the update. My gut feeling appears to have been spot on. *Rocking Painkiller by Judas Priest!*
Hopefully my tribulations will help others with similar issues. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music playback, loosing sync since update?0