Using an LG Magic Remote with Kodi
Karellen,

There is no LibreELEC build available for the Wandboards. These are i.MX6 boards that outperform RPis for Kodi, but unfortunately they are not supported as well. I don't use web scrapers for EPG. I use SchedulesDirect.

I do use LibreELEC on the SolidRun boards, but they are more expensive and still do not offer a current linux kernel:

LibreELEC + SolidRun is a Great Kodi on ARM Solution

Regards, Clay
Ok thanks. As long as you are aware that if you experience issues, it is due to OpenElec.

Might be of interest... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2749875
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I just happened to figure out that the magic remote works with the shield with zero configuration necessary. I just bought the C8 OLED and the 5.1 channel LG soundbar so I'm trying to figure out what devices work the best with them. 

I'm setting Kodi 18 up on the Shield now and picked up the magic remote by accident and hit the right and was like "whoa! cool!" I don't really care about having all the buttons functional. The D-Pad/Scroll wheel works, back works, enter works and the color buttons work but they perform function that I don't find useful so I have to remap them.
Hi,

I just bought an LG 55B8V and i'm trying to configure the magic remote with Kodi on Raspberry Pi
For now i'm unable to map fast-forward, play and stop features as well as the menu on movies (the one where we can mark as viewed for exemple)

Could you please share your configuration ? Maybe you are using a remote.conf file ?

Thanks for your help
Regards,
I've bought the Flirc and it works flawlessly with LG magic remote. I have one problem though, the inter key delay is large, I guess it is as it is.

Just for your information if you set it up as LG Set Top Box with Remote control type 1, instead of BluRay player, the following keys will work:

The STB PWR on the top right, the numbers, the program up and down button, the four arrow, the scroll up/down (!!), the middle click (scroll's button) and the four colored buttons. I guess it's the most keys we can work because the other buttons manages the TV itself, like the guide, the volume and the home.
Hi all,
Hi @ClayMontgomery,

i want to use my Libreelec Kodi Build on HTPC J5005-ITX Mainboard+CPU with my new LG 65C97LA WebOS 4.5 and do it all with the Magic Remote from LG.
But i dont can configure the Remote on HDMI Ports... the LG configure the HTPC ever as "PC" automatically i dont can change the settings... only when no HDMI Cable pluged in... than i configure as SETOPBOX or BLUERAY PLAYER and use Sony as Profile... as soon as i plug the cable back in... the lg changes everything to "PC" and i dont can use the Remote or configure it.

maybe they have change the software and possibilities for hdmi port and remote....in software 04.70.05 and 04.71.05 i have no possibilities to use the remote on this htpc... 

i have internal flickr IR device on the steacom case for my old homematic before... but i think thats not the clean way to configure the lg remote ? i dont haven t tested it because when i put some buttons from the remote the LG HDMI Device info pops up and i think that will surely happen with every command on normal use to switch channels etc. 

can someone help or has current experienceHuh??
drnwa,

Configuring a remote to work through the HDMI port is called HDMI-CEC. I have never had much luck with that. If you read my early posts in this thread, you will see I use a Flirc, instead. With the Flirc, no remote.conf file is needed because the Flirc is a USB device.

The number of buttons that will work depends on what type of device you select for the magic remote to emulate in LG's Device Connector menu. I am using "Blu-ray DVD Player", but I'm going to try hunfatal's suggestion to use "LG Set Top Box with Remote control type 1". He says that allows even more buttons to work.

Regards, Clay
Thanks to info here and on the CoreELEC forum, I managed to configure my LG magic remote with Kodi over CEC.   The key thing to do is to make sure you do NOT use Device Connector on the TV, as it will make certain buttons use IR instead of generating CEC commands.  The other key thing is to make sure your HDMI cable passes CEC.   There is a specific pin that has to be wired, and certain cheaper cables don’t have it.

I have an OLED65B9 connected to an Onkyo amp. Coreelec box is connected to amp.   In the initial set of the TV I had configured the amp through device connector, which was causing the issue.  WebOS is not very helpful to show what is configured.  In my case I had to go in Device Connector, click Home Theater and remove this device.  Kodi CEC started working straight away.  No config needed on Kodi side.

Hope this helps someone as I have spent quite a few hours fixing this as info as kind of hard to come by.
(2020-01-11, 11:08)drnwa Wrote: Hi all,
Hi @ClayMontgomery,

i want to use my Libreelec Kodi Build on HTPC J5005-ITX Mainboard+CPU with my new LG 65C97LA WebOS 4.5 and do it all with the Magic Remote from LG.
But i dont can configure the Remote on HDMI Ports... the LG configure the HTPC ever as "PC" automatically i dont can change the settings... only when no HDMI Cable pluged in... than i configure as SETOPBOX or BLUERAY PLAYER and use Sony as Profile... as soon as i plug the cable back in... the lg changes everything to "PC" and i dont can use the Remote or configure it.

maybe they have change the software and possibilities for hdmi port and remote....in software 04.70.05 and 04.71.05 i have no possibilities to use the remote on this htpc... 

i have internal flickr IR device on the steacom case for my old homematic before... but i think thats not the clean way to configure the lg remote ? i dont haven t tested it because when i put some buttons from the remote the LG HDMI Device info pops up and i think that will surely happen with every command on normal use to switch channels etc. 

can someone help or has current experienceHuh??

Hey,

Did you manage to get this sorted!? I'm having the same problem. My Kodi is installed on a Windows 10 Minix box and connected to the TV via HDMI. When the HDMI is connected that specific port won't appear in the device connector menu. When I pull the wire out it does appear and I can set it up as described. But like you when I put the HDMI back in it changes to PC and changes the controls. I have it working with my settop box as described. Could it be my Minix box!?

Thanks

Alan
(2020-01-31, 05:13)fishe Wrote: Thanks to info here and on the CoreELEC forum, I managed to configure my LG magic remote with Kodi over CEC.   The key thing to do is to make sure you do NOT use Device Connector on the TV, as it will make certain buttons use IR instead of generating CEC commands.  The other key thing is to make sure your HDMI cable passes CEC.   There is a specific pin that has to be wired, and certain cheaper cables don’t have it.

I have an OLED65B9 connected to an Onkyo amp. Coreelec box is connected to amp.   In the initial set of the TV I had configured the amp through device connector, which was causing the issue.  WebOS is not very helpful to show what is configured.  In my case I had to go in Device Connector, click Home Theater and remove this device.  Kodi CEC started working straight away.  No config needed on Kodi side.

Hope this helps someone as I have spent quite a few hours fixing this as info as kind of hard to come by.
Created an account - just to confirm what @fishe is describing.
My OLED65C9 detected my OSMC Vero box - and chose FLIRC on its own.

Couldn't get CEC going.
Followed this advice - removed the device in Device Connector - and it started working immediately!

Have a good one! Wink
As several people have said they have HDMI-CEC working with the magic remote, it would be useful to compare with IR operation, as I am still using IR with the Device Connector.

I currently, have 21 buttons functioning, including the numbers, arrow pad, colored, stop and pause/play. In addition, I also have volume -/+ and power, which I did not include in the count since they are not IR to Kodi

So, my question to those using HDMI-CEC, how many buttons do you have functioning?

Thanks, Clay
(2020-02-09, 12:22)steyrs Wrote:
(2020-01-31, 05:13)fishe Wrote: Thanks to info here and on the CoreELEC forum, I managed to configure my LG magic remote with Kodi over CEC.   The key thing to do is to make sure you do NOT use Device Connector on the TV, as it will make certain buttons use IR instead of generating CEC commands.  The other key thing is to make sure your HDMI cable passes CEC.   There is a specific pin that has to be wired, and certain cheaper cables don’t have it.

Created an account - just to confirm what @fishe is describing.
My OLED65C9 detected my OSMC Vero box - and chose FLIRC on its own.

Couldn't get CEC going.
Followed this advice - removed the device in Device Connector - and it started working immediately!

Have a good one! Wink

i didnt have to create an account Smile, this has truly helped me, and LG magic remote now works Smile thanks.
question, after finding this thread I've been fiddling with my remote trying to get it set up.

FLIRC + Windows 10 + LG UH7700 here.

When I try selecting LG Set Top Box with Remote control type 1 I can't get the scroll up/down or press to bind to anything in Flirc.  Now his instructions said to set it as LG set top box. In my STB I don't have an LG option, so I clicked show others and ended up selecting not in list twice. Is this correct? CEC's enabled in my TV's settings and it at least somewhat works as the volume on my remote controls my Samsung soundbar volume and not the TV. Using the LG Bluray remote 2 I could use the scroll wheel click, not up or down though. Clicking that would be the most natural way to trigger enter in Kodi. The play and pause buttons say they successfully map in Flirc but don't do anything in Kodi (18.8) And none of the 4 color buttons are detected in FLIRC So I'm trying to figure out what else I can try here but I'm out of ideas.

*UPDATE*

So I have no idea why, but when I woke up this morning I was able to program the scroll wheel up/down/click in FLIRC.  I didn't change anything from my last attempt last night when it wouldn't work.  Play/pause buttons are working now too. The 4 color buttons are still not doing anything though. I tried programming them in FLIRC then loaded showkey to see if there was any code popping up when pressed, nothing.  If anyone has an idea how to get those to work I'm all ears.
Hello,

The magic remote works through CEC until the tv thinks the Raspberry is Roku or Flirc device.
Is there a way to avoid WebOS thinking that and continue using the magic remote?
(2021-03-17, 14:51)galind08 Wrote: Is there a way to avoid WebOS thinking that and continue using the magic remote?

Do you have multiple devices running Kodi connected to your TV?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using an LG Magic Remote with Kodi0