Strange Music playback causing system freeze...
Currently on Kodi 16.1, but wondering if anyone else has seen this issue, and if perhaps its been fixed in Kodi 17.

The issue:
1. From the Main menu in Kodi, select the Music button.
2. This brings up a list of every song, listed in Alphabetical order (and I have a lot of Music).
3. Click on any song, and try to play it, and the system will stall (appears to be hung) for 15-30 seconds). Nothing works in Kodi, and the remote is useless.

Eventually if you wait, the music will start to play. But the same thing happens if you stop that song, and select another.

4. The kicker here is, if you instead of clicking the Main menu Music button, you instead click a sub-menu option (artists for example), and you play any music through that option, you don't encounter the above issue.

This happens on both Windows and Android Kodi 16.1 installs. I connect to my music through my FreeNAS setup, and am connected to it using Ethernet (so no Wifi). I am using the Skin Aeon MQ7 as well.
The key is
Quote: This brings up a list of every song, listed in Alphabetical order (and I have a lot of Music).

Current Kodi design the adds all those songs to the current playlist, and that is very slow - not because of the database that is often accused, but because of the shuffling of things in internal memory. It is a know design flaw, that will take a considerable redesign to solve. It is being looked at. Some of the team want to remove the songs node entirely until it is fixed, but that seems a step too far!!!!

So sorry no, not fixed in v17.
Thanks for the info Dave, but my question is, why not change the default behavior to bring up the Artists view instead?

I mean, who wants to see every song, in every album, listed alphabetically, as the Default viewHuh
(2017-01-25, 18:18)Powerhouse Wrote: I mean, who wants to see every song, in every album, listed alphabetically, as the Default viewHuh
Indeed! But I have never noticed that the default behaviour was to show the songs node. When I click music I get the library menu.

Hang on it could be showing the last thing you did in the library, and possibly varies with skin too? Or may be a GUI setting? I know I only see the full song list when I force it to show me that Smile
I'm pretty sure it remembers the last thing you did in the library.

I get the library menu as well upon first entering.
This is the first time clicking the Music button on the home screen, after adding all my Music to Kodi. I'm using the Skin Aeon MQ7, but when I go into Confluence, I get the same thing.
Have you got a local custom (non default) menu layout? A userdata>Library>music folder, rather than the system one, with songs.xml having the lowest node order? This is getting into skins area, so I'm not totally sure what makes for the default item.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange Music playback causing system freeze...0