How to insert subtitle file in full blu-ray movies?
Hello,
How can i insert external subtitle file to full blu-ray movie that is in structure of BDMV folders?

I know that in Streamers it works if I put the subtitle file in the main BDMV folder and give it the name: index.srt.

But its not working that way in Kodi (if i remember well, it worked in the XBMC generation...).

Thanks, Bow
(2017-01-24, 22:49)Bowmaster Wrote: How can i insert external subtitle file to full blu-ray movie that is in structure of BDMV folders?

I know that in Streamers it works if I put the subtitle file in the main BDMV folder and give it the name: index.srt.

But its not working that way in Kodi (if i remember well, it worked in the XBMC generation...).

I don't know how to do it with a bluray in BDMV folder format.

But if the bluray is in iso format, you can use my addon (bluray iso utils).

It is possible to give each .mpls file a different subtitle (eg tv episodes)

If you would find this addon usefull, don't convert your complete library with it now (test it out and let me know what you think). It is a "work in progress" and the format of the xml file will probably change (to implement a scraper). Needs Kodi v17.
Add-on : Bluray iso utils Rewrite of BR_iso_enhancements
Add-on : BR_iso_Enhancements Give theatrical & directors cut from the same bluray iso each their own library entry, use bluray iso's of tv shows as if they are already ripped.
I have one BDMV iso with undesirable subs.
I d/l a new .srt from subscene, add it to the same folder as the BD, and name the srt same as BD.
New sub is not available using PowerDVD since it is not in the actual BD menu and PDVD is essentially a disc player in file format in this case.
However, it is selectable using Kodi from the audio menu and working correctly since Kodi is looking at all the data in the folder and not just the BD iso.
Not sure what benefit the add-on offers?
Never tried index.srt in BDMV folder during rip? Thanks for the tip.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-01-25, 17:36)brazen1 Wrote: I have one BDMV iso with undesirable subs.
I d/l a new .srt from subscene, add it to the same folder as the BD, and name the srt same as BD.
New sub is not available using PowerDVD since it is not in the actual BD menu and PDVD is essentially a disc player in file format in this case.
However, it is selectable using Kodi from the audio menu and working correctly since Kodi is looking at all the data in the folder and not just the BD iso.

No need to select (by wife or kids, systemadmin (you?) needs to do it once), easy when 1 sub in directory. Possible to get automatically correct sub for each tv episode on the iso.

More things that are not related to subs...
Add-on : BR_iso_Enhancements Give theatrical & directors cut from the same bluray iso each their own library entry, use bluray iso's of tv shows as if they are already ripped.
Thanks, but to insert external subtitle file, when the blu-ray disc in ISO format, it's easy - just to paste the srt file to the same folder of the iso file and rename it the same. for example: Movie.iso + Movie.srt.
In BDMV its more complicated...

But it suppose to be solve very easily if the developers well take it to an hands Blush
(2017-01-25, 18:27)Wimpie Wrote:

No need to select (by wife or kids, systemadmin (you?) needs to do it once), easy when 1 sub in directory. Possible to get automatically correct sub for each tv episode on the iso.

Maybe you could elaborate a little bit....
Here's what I often face:

I'm watching an iso complete 1:1 rip with all subs that came on the disc. Suddenly, a foreign language starts speaking and there are no subs displayed. I understand there is a setting in Kodi for preferring English subs which is on, but I have the subs themselves set to none since I have no need for English subs for the English spoken language.

So, I pause and toggle through the offered subs from the iso rip. I have mapped sub selection to my remote so the press of a button toggles all the subs. Many languages to filter through. Often there are quite a few English subs and they are never labeled. Resume play. Commentary, nope not what I'm looking for. Pause, select next English sub and resume. For the hard of hearing, nope not what I'm looking for. Pause again, select next English sub and resume. Spoken foreign languages only, that's what I'm looking for. Rewind back to where the foreign language started speaking and now I can read what is said.

Does your plug-in remedy this situation? If so, does it mean once I've selected the correct sub I'm looking for, it will remember on any subsequent playbacks even though I have subs turned off to avoid English subs for English speaking? If so, is there a xml or file of some sort that can be saved with these settings to import into new builds so I wouldn't have to play and select the proper sub for all the titles again?

The cleanest thing that could happen and perhaps be a feature is to label subs for what they are. Commentary, hard of hearing, descriptive, foreign only, etc. if it's even possible.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-01-25, 21:01)Bowmaster Wrote: Thanks, but to insert external subtitle file, when the blu-ray disc in ISO format, it's easy - just to paste the srt file to the same folder of the iso file and rename it the same. for example: Movie.iso + Movie.srt.
In BDMV its more complicated...

And what do you do when you have a theatrical and directors cut on the same blu-ray?

Or a tv show on blu-ray? You can only have 1 .srt file per iso, but the show has 5 episodes on disc... Copy the correct srt to the directory with the iso in and do the same for the next episode? Not really wife and kids friendly...

(2017-01-25, 21:01)Bowmaster Wrote: But it suppose to be solve very easily if the developers well take it to an hands Blush

True, but no core programmer seems to care enough to spend some time programming. I'm not blaming them, they also have to set priorities...

I don't know how to program in C, heck I even don't know how to program in python. I 'm learning while I go, but my goal is full (as possible) bluray iso support in Kodi.

Here and there I hit a wall that only a core Kodi programmer can solve...
(2017-01-25, 23:05)brazen1 Wrote:
(2017-01-25, 18:27)Wimpie Wrote:

Maybe you could elaborate a little bit....

At the moment I have a working BETA version as standalone (= proof of concept).

Things possible (with the current beta addon) :
- can set default audio and subtitle streams (usefull when kodi shows 'Unknown' as language)
- the wife and kids will never see the "select playback item" to choose the correct .mpls file from again
- give each episodes on the bluray a scrapeable entry and each can have its correct external .srt file
- tv-shows that are 1 big 4 hour video can be cut into parts so you can scrape them as if they are seperate mkv episodes, and each can have the correct .srt file
- give a theatrical and a directors cut different directories for Kodi to scrape (from 1 iso,no need to copy the iso and double the needed space)
- show or not show the "previously on tv-show..." intro before each episode (some people like it, some not)
- with screenpass, input the correct .mpls file once, and you have never to to this again
- use the video extras addon to access all the extras on the bluray iso

(2017-01-25, 23:05)brazen1 Wrote: Does your plug-in remedy this situation?

Yes, this is at the moment possible.

My goal is to EMULATE the blu-ray menu (current addon) and (in the future) have a scraper that would get this info automatically.

1 person would enter correctly all relevant info for each language on the bluray disc.

For instance a disc (in Europe) that is the same for Germany, France and the Netherlands would contain for the same movie:
- Common video stream
- original audio track (eg english)
- dubbed french audio track
- dubbed german audio track
- german subtitles
- french subtitles
- dutch subtitles

many extras

Now one dutch, french and german person would do the hard work of creating an xml file with in this file audio, subtitle and other info

German person
- correct .mpls file
- with original (english audio and german subs)
- with dubbed (german audio)

French person
- correct .mpls file (normally the same, but for some (eg Disney animations) can this differ)
- with original (english audio and french subs)
- with dubbed (french audio)

Dutch person
- correct .mpls file
- with original (english audio and dutch subs)
- no dubbed version

They would also do the same for all extras.

Then this info would be send to a server, so that the next german, dutch or french guy doesn't have to do this for this disc.

Each disc can be identified by it's 'id.bdmv' file or better, by it's 'unit_key_ro.inf' file.
Copying the info into the xml file so the addon can emulate the bluray menu would be a community effort (you need the original discs for this, so I can at best only do those that I have...)
I use .strm files. To get streamdetails (Kodi can not) I use mediainfo (I can with mediainfo even see if the iso has a truehd or atmos track, but at the moment this is useless because skin support is needed to display this).
For some things I've hit a wall...

Look at the thread for my addon to see some screenshots...
(2017-01-26, 17:10)Wimpie Wrote: And what do you do when you have a theatrical and directors cut on the same blu-ray?

Or a tv show on blu-ray? You can only have 1 .srt file per iso, but the show has 5 episodes on disc... Copy the correct srt to the directory with the iso in and do the same for the next episode? Not really wife and kids friendly...
You are right.
If the movie inside the blu-ray disc is split to many files and not one movie file as usual, it's a problem to run external subtitle files.
This kind of blu-ray discs comes in directors cut/extended version discs, or some times in another movies.
ISO extraction of the blu-ray Disc can't help in this case.

But any way, Kodi can't run this kind of split blu-ray discs. For that I use Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre player.

Why your add can't run BDMV format?
(2017-01-26, 22:24)Bowmaster Wrote: But any way, Kodi can't run this kind of split blu-ray discs. For that I use Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre player.

Kodi has no problem with this at all. But you have to use the correct .mpls file instead of the .m2ts file.

(2017-01-26, 22:24)Bowmaster Wrote: Why your add can't run BDMV format?

It's just not possible, Kodi handles access to the iso completely different compared to folder (BDMV) access.
(2017-01-27, 10:12)Wimpie Wrote: Kodi has no problem with this at all. But you have to use the correct .mpls file instead of the .m2ts file.
How do you mean? to look for the playlist main mpls in files mode, and to run it instead the indx.bdmv file?
If yes, how do you run it in a ISO file?
double post
(2017-01-27, 14:36)Bowmaster Wrote:
(2017-01-27, 10:12)Wimpie Wrote: Kodi has no problem with this at all. But you have to use the correct .mpls file instead of the .m2ts file.
How do you mean? to look for the playlist main mpls in files mode, and to run it instead the indx.bdmv file?
If yes, how do you run it in a ISO file?

First of all: Kodi CAN NOT show you the menu you get from a stand alone player

Kodi has basic support for bluray iso's. What you get to see depends on a setting:

Kodi 17: settings/player/Discs/blu-ray playback mode

Best is to set this on : show simplified menu

What then happens when you want to play an iso (from video/files or from the library) is that you get to see a window:

title = select playback item
inside a list with eg:
- play main title 6 / chapters 15 - duration 01:25:47 <---- this is /BDMV/PLAYLIST/00006.mpls
- sometimes more of the same as above with other numbers
- select from all titles <-- you get a list of all .mpls files on this disc
- show bluray menu <--- don't choose this because it it still a work in progress

What Kodi does is go to the /BDMV/PLAYLIST directory and gets all .mpls files. These .mpls files are a sort of index files.

If you get only 1 "play main title ..." then this is most probable the main movie (Kodi displays the .mpls with the longest duration). In this case you would probably also see 1 big .m2ts file in /BDMV/STREAM that would contain the whole movie.

Disney releases in the EU discs with more than 1 language (eg WALL-E). The result is that you get a list of "play main title ..." with all the same times and chapters. All are correct, but 1 is in german, the other in french, etc.... Disney breaks up these movie and uses seamless branching to get as much on the disc as possible.

Result is that in the /BDMV/STREAM directory, instead of 1 big file that contains the whole movie, several smaller .m2ts files are to be found (played together in correct order you get the movie). So Kodi cannot play the whole movie if you select from this directory a .m2ts file. But by playing the correct .mpls file (the index file), Kodi knows what to do and plays the movie for you correctly.

The hard job is to know what .mpls file is the correct one. This is also used as a copy protection, Screenpass gives you a few hundred choices.
And its possible only in Kodi 17?
(2017-01-27, 15:46)Bowmaster Wrote: And its possible only in Kodi 17?

No, this also works in earlier versions (not too early Wink).

My addon only works in Kodi 17 (needs some new features).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to insert subtitle file in full blu-ray movies?0