cmake and FFMPEG
Hi all,

I think there is a couple of problems with cmake and ffmpeg (and possibly with other modules), and I'm planning to provide a PR for it, however, I'd like to discuss some fundamental things and how kodi is designed to work with these dependencies, before creating it.

Let me start with this file: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...eLists.txt

There a couple of assumptions regarding platform and cpu, however CPU is only passed on if this is a kodi depends build [1] so all of those assumptions are mostly useless.
Also, compiler flags defined in platform's ArchSetup.cmake are not sent to ffmpeg (nor to other modules if I recall correctly) unless we are in a cross compile environment.

Android's ArchSetup.cmake, here, tries to setup a couple of switches for ffmpeg which are not used anywhere nor passed on to ffmpeg.

So I was wondering what would be the correct way to do this, and setting these switches and compiler flags correctly for other modules.

One way to make this is to have more information in CMakeLists.txt from ffmpeg about the platform, CPU, compiler flags, and so on, and decide there, per platform, which switches to enable or disable.
Another way would be to continue the work that was started with Android and define everything at the ArchSetup level and then add it to the ffmpeg cmake project.

Before working on a patch, I'd like to understand your views and how this is supposed to be handled, and with that in mind I can produce a better and more consistent patch.

Hope to hear from you soon.

[1] I'm still struggling to understand what this means Smile
I've open this PR (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/11585) but since then I got no answers either here or in the PR.

Isn't there a single soul out there with an opinion on this ? Big Grin

Regards,
There are alot of answers on that pr and even a question from popcornmix. Do you see something else?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Yep Smile I see that you didn't look at my post's date and when then comments on the PR as well.. but that's ok ..
But you didn't answer the question from popcornmix - nevermind - imo you should rather ping soneone on github instead of here in that situation...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I saw the forum post then tried to initiate activity (and succeded). It was useful to kick the forum post and not spam everybody's mail. Well played, memphiz is just snarky since his initial snark backfired :p
(2017-02-09, 08:41)Memphiz Wrote: But you didn't answer the question from popcornmix - nevermind - imo you should rather ping soneone on github instead of here in that situation...

Would you be so kind to point me to the question I didn't answer ?

I don't want to sound rude or disrespectful, but I tried to start the conversation here and I got no answer, I decided to move on with the PR and once I didn't get any reply in there as well I tried to reboot the conversation here. Did I do anything wrong ? You come with this condescending attitude as if I have done anything wrong or not paying attention to what's going on.

Or maybe I'm just in a bad mood and taking your words with a different meaning than what you really meant.

(2017-02-09, 08:58)ironic_monkey Wrote: I saw the forum post then tried to initiate activity (and succeded). It was useful to kick the forum post and not spam everybody's mail. Well played, memphiz is just snarky since his initial snark backfired :p

Thanks a lot for stepping in Smile I really appreciate it.
Nah i am not - thats the problem with forums. People interpret text... As i see you answered to popcornmix a day ago. I just think the people who know about ffmpeg build options (mostly fernetmenta and fritsch) might not read much forum.
Smile That's ok, I'm glad we cleared it out.

I'll poke them on the PR and see if they have any comment .

Thanks a lot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
cmake and FFMPEG0