v17 AutoStart Kodi (Windows 10) without Launcher4Kodi?
I'm currently running the Kodi v17 "Krypton" RC3 version on Windows 10 x64 Pro.

Is there a way to autostart Kodi once the machine boots up, without using the Launcher4Kodi program? I've used Launcher4Kodi in the past but I've had nothing but problems with it. Would like to try a different way to autostart Kodi in Windows boot.

Thanks!
I just put a shortcut to Kodi in the startup folder. It's not elegant or seamless but it does the job perfectly well.
That's what I did, too. You can quickly get to your startup folder by opening a run dialog (Windows + r) and entering 'shellConfusedtartup' in the box. Just drag a Kodi shortcut in there and done.
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 20, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, nVidia 3080 ti
A more elegant solution is to boot Kodi under a custom user interface which is what I do.

Run the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), then navigate to:
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System and then select “Custom User Interface”

Enable it and enter the entire path of Kodi.exe
(ie: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\Kodi.exe).

Win 10 will then boot into Kodi and bypass the Explorer shell

To get back into Windows from Kodi. Exit Kodi and then start the task manager (Ctrl:Alt:Del) and run task ‘explorer.exe’
I just installed win10 and have been thinking about running kodi as shell, only thing keeping me from it is Blue Iris. I occasionally, rarely but I do, bring up BI on screen.
Any easy way (harmony remote button) to switch between kodi and blue iris?

Sent from my SM-G935U
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2017-01-26, 22:38)snarfo Wrote: That's what I did, too. You can quickly get to your startup folder by opening a run dialog (Windows + r) and entering 'shellConfusedtartup' in the box. Just drag a Kodi shortcut in there and done.

but it won´t start minimized that way, correct?

and how can i put it into the info area?
i don´t want it visible on the taskbar.

for something that popular i must say i miss a lot of things in kodi after 3 days of testing.
there is not even a checkbox "start with windows"Huh

you really need an addon for such a basic feature?
(2017-03-21, 00:03)Ballssobig Wrote:
(2017-01-26, 22:38)snarfo Wrote: That's what I did, too. You can quickly get to your startup folder by opening a run dialog (Windows + r) and entering 'shellConfusedtartup' in the box. Just drag a Kodi shortcut in there and done.

for something that popular i must say i miss a lot of things in kodi after 3 days of testing.

What Huh!!!
Do you actually understand what this software is?
(2017-03-21, 01:05)blossom24 Wrote:
(2017-03-21, 00:03)Ballssobig Wrote:

What Huh!!!
Do you actually understand what this software is?

do you understand what i wrote?

can you name a mediaserver that is unable (has no option) to be started with windows or that can´t be minimized into system tray?

it may not the way you use it but many people just use kodi as a upnp server for other devices.
There are options to start Kodi with windows. Three of them have been mentioned in this thread!

You are correct that it may not be the way I use it, but if YOU use it contrary to its original intended purpose, that is your prerogative but stop knocking it.
(2017-03-21, 01:25)blossom24 Wrote: You are correct that it may not be the way I use it, but if YOU use it contrary to its original intended purpose, that is your prerogative but stop knocking it.

what utter nonsense..... why do you think kodi has server build in?

http://kodi.wiki/view/UPnP/Server

do you actually understand what this software can do? LOL....

Quote:There are options to start Kodi with windows. Three of them have been mentioned in this thread!

too bad that was not the issue.

the issue i was talking about was that kodi has no BUILT IN feature to achieve that.

Quote:there is not even a checkbox "start with windows"Huh
Because Kodi is not a service it is a program? If you only want a media server you could use Plex.
While it would be nice to have a Kodi service backend and a GUI frontend, the software simply is not (at least currently) designed to work that way

Complaining in that manner is not very repsectful to the developers who work for free on the program. If you want a pure media server, then by all means try Plex or other programs that do that
I used Kodi 16.1 for a long time.

A few months back, I installed Kodi 17.3.

Like before, it asked if I wanted to import the settings. I selected YES, but like before it completely ignored me so I had to go in and reconfigure it all again.

Luckily (I thought), the installer did not remove 16.1. All of my shortcuts and startup processes still launch Jarvis (16.1).

I've got 17.3 ready now. All of my drives have been mapped, my icon folder is mapped, background is the way I like it, etc. 17.3 looks almost exactly like 16.1. That's good for the family. I mean, how irritated would you be if your Dish Network interface just completely changed every time there was an update.

Anyway, I'm getting off the subject.

When 17.3 installed, it put a Quick Start button on the Windows 10 Task Bar. The icon is slightly different, but it is there, along with the icon for 16.1.

If I exit both apps, go to the Program Files (x86) directory, find the Kodi folder and double click kodi.exe, I get 16.1.

Where is 17.3? There is no option on the Task Bar to Right-Click the 17.3 Kodi icon and go to Properties like I normally do.

I suppose if I attempt to remove 16.1 now, 17.3 will also get removed, and I will be back to a PC without any version of Kodi, and I'd have to reinstall everything from scratch when I go install again. Right?
you did something wrong.
first check all your folder. i thought you just have installed kodi 17 to another folder.
> you did something wrong.

Lol - out of the mouths of babes.

Yeah, I'd say so.

I do know that my version of Kodi was installed so that different people could log in to the same PC (Admin or the Media account) and access the same files and settings. That is because I don't want to give my kids Admin access to delete or install whatever they feel like when Dad isn't home. So, I log in as Admin (or provide the Admin password) to make any changes.

It looks like, however, that the installer was not able to account for that, and it completely fooked up the install.

Now, the question remains: Where is Kodi 17.3?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AutoStart Kodi (Windows 10) without Launcher4Kodi?1