• 5(current)
[Android] U5PVR Hybrid 4K UHD Broadcast Tuner Set-Top (2017) - UPDATED: 17/05/09
It is not good info if it is only 480p. HD would be nice
Hello,

I'm very interested by this product to use DVB-T2 tuner and Android TV.
I live in France and the sound of TV channels are broadcasted in EAC3 (Dolby Digital).

Is this Android box able to decode this audio stream?

When can we buy it?

Thank you!
(2017-03-17, 10:17)Clementio Wrote: Hello,

I live in France and the sound of TV channels are broadcasted in EAC3 (Dolby Digital).

When can we buy it?

Thank you!

I don't know that is support of EAC3 Audio.
But, If you give me clip file of broadcast or link of file, I can test withKodi and built-in video player test.

I received information from U5team as follows.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109990267505...uMCeW8KYiP

Thx.
With Kodi Krypton onwards DD (EAC3) Audio will be decoded and output as 2.0 PCM Audio to a TV / AVR using free Open Source Audio decoding libraries included with Kodi. No Dolby Audio Licence needed. Prior to Krypton it was possible to passthrough 5.1 DD to a TV / AVR with PVR clients as well.

With Google's Live Channels App for Android TV - unless the Hardware device used has a Dolby Audio Licence - no DD Audio decoding to PCM is possible with any Android App (excluding Kodi), the Live Channels App is not able to decode DD to 2.0 PCM in this instance and can only passthrough DD Audio to a TV / AVR.

Where this comes unstuck is in situations where older TV's can only accept 2.0 PCM Audio - there are many cases now where nVIDIA Shield Owners are having problems when using the Android TV Live Channels App and OTA TV broadcasts with AC3/DD embedded Audio.
Because the Shield has no Dolby Audio Licence - it can only passthrough AC3/DD Audio - results in this instance is Audio silence when connected to a 2.0 PCM Audio only TV or 2.0 PCM USB DAC.

Compare this to a $69 Xiaomi Mi Box that has a Dolby Audio Licence - Android TV's Live Channels App can easily decode DD to 2.0 PCM and output that to a 2.0 PCM only TV.
There are no DD Audio issues either with WeTek Hub / Play2 when using WeTV App or the Android TV Live Channels App because those devices have a Dolby Audio Licence too.

I've seen other Android PVR implementations run into this OTA TV Dolby Audio Licence problem as well when using any other Android App but Kodi.

The one shining light is that Dolby's DD Patents expired the beginning of February this year - so it is possible Google's Android OS may be able to freely decode DD Audio without Android devices needing a Dolby Audio licence, at some point in the future. I would also imagine Android OS - DD workarounds can now be use freely without Dolby's Patent lawyers pursuing various companies.

I find it quite alarming that the sellers of this PVR Device do not know about the importance of OTA TV - Dolby Audio already when a lot of info in this thread has already mentioned Android PVR Apps.

@EddyLab, maybe you have a movie how works netflix on u5pvr (e.g netflix android tv app)?
(2017-03-18, 04:51)wrxtasy Wrote: With Kodi Krypton onwards DD (EAC3) Audio will be decoded and output as 2.0 PCM Audio to a TV / AVR using free Open Source Audio decoding libraries included with Kodi. No Dolby Audio Licence needed. Prior to Krypton it was possible to passthrough 5.1 DD to a TV / AVR with PVR clients as well.

With Google's Live Channels App for Android TV - unless the Hardware device used has a Dolby Audio Licence - no DD Audio decoding to PCM is possible with any Android App (excluding Kodi), the Live Channels App is not able to decode DD to 2.0 PCM in this instance and can only passthrough DD Audio to a TV / AVR.

Where this comes unstuck is in situations where older TV's can only accept 2.0 PCM Audio - there are many cases now where nVIDIA Shield Owners are having problems when using the Android TV Live Channels App and OTA TV broadcasts with AC3/DD embedded Audio.
Because the Shield has no Dolby Audio Licence - it can only passthrough AC3/DD Audio - results in this instance is Audio silence when connected to a 2.0 PCM Audio only TV or 2.0 PCM USB DAC.

Compare this to a $69 Xiaomi Mi Box that has a Dolby Audio Licence - Android TV's Live Channels App can easily decode DD to 2.0 PCM and output that to a 2.0 PCM only TV.
There are no DD Audio issues either with WeTek Hub / Play2 when using WeTV App or the Android TV Live Channels App because those devices have a Dolby Audio Licence too.

I've seen other Android PVR implementations run into this OTA TV Dolby Audio Licence problem as well when using any other Android App but Kodi.

The one shining light is that Dolby's DD Patents expired the beginning of February this year - so it is possible Google's Android OS may be able to freely decode DD Audio without Android devices needing a Dolby Audio licence, at some point in the future. I would also imagine Android OS - DD workarounds can now be use freely without Dolby's Patent lawyers pursuing various companies.

I find it quite alarming that the sellers of this PVR Device do not know about the importance of OTA TV - Dolby Audio already when a lot of info in this thread has already mentioned Android PVR Apps.

Any media player that can't play content with Dolby Digital audio as PCM 2.0 is dead in the water. That would mean no DVD ISO/VIDEO_TS playback, no Live/Recorded TV in many countries (particularly the US). It's a non-starter.
Hello,

If I understand, the only hybrid box on the market (Android+Tuner) able to decode DD is the Wetek Play 2 (because they have the licence with the S905-H).
But this box (and his soc) are out of date for me to invest more than 120€.

I'm going to wait for a new product with DD licence and Tuner DVD-T2.

But on this youtube video, the U5PVR plays AC3 audio TV channels in Kodi (and it seems to be OK):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyEZ_eo8wXQ
(2017-03-18, 03:46)EddyLab Wrote:
(2017-03-17, 10:17)Clementio Wrote: Hello,

When can we buy it?

Thank you!

I don't know that is support of EAC3 Audio.
But, If you give me clip file of broadcast or link of file, I can test withKodi and built-in video player test.

I received information from U5team as follows.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109990267505...uMCeW8KYiP

Thx.

@EddyLab

I give you a link to download a recorded french TS video with EAC3 Audio:
https://we.tl/W5xyzhanU6

Thank you to tell us the result of your tests.
@Clementio, if you are decoding DD/AC3 from within Kodi using say the TvHeadend PVR Client you do not need a Dolby Audio Licence because as I have already said Kodi has its own free Open Source Audio Decoder packaged within the App that can decode DD to PCM Audio easily.

Its once you move outside of Kodi/SPMC App itself and use any other Android Apps, like Android TV's Live Channels App that the actual Android device being used has to have a Dolby Audio Licence to be able to decode Dolby DD to PCM.

For AMLogic Chipsets the devices that come with Dolby Audio and DTS licences are designated S812-H, S905-H, S912-H. And these Chipsets actually cost more than the non-licensed ones.

Not sure how HiSilicon organise their Audio licence agreements.

Yes I know the differences between Sxxx and Sxxx-H.
I have actualy a KII Pro with S905 and I have sounds issues with EAC3 Audio TV channels on the application TV of the box. There is a "dzziiiiit" sound every 30 seconds. I'm in PCM mode.

But in Kodi, there's no issue with AC3 audio files as you explain.

My doubt is to buy this box and having same sound issue.
So, I want to be sure before buying a new box...

(sorry for my bad english)
Your English is fine BTW Smile

Yes that KII Pro was the device I could not remember the name of that had no Dolby Audio Licence as well. I knew it had Android TV - EAC3 Audio issues.

Personally I would wait till any new box is tested thoroughly for quite a while before jumping into something as complicated as DVB's and PVR - particularly when using it on an Android OS.

EddyLab are sensibly going the much easier route using TvHeadend as the backend inbuilt server like I have seen Ricardo implement with the Android TV ROM for the WeTek Play2.

(2017-03-18, 10:56)noggin Wrote:
(2017-03-18, 04:51)wrxtasy Wrote: With Kodi Krypton onwards DD (EAC3) Audio will be decoded and output as 2.0 PCM Audio to a TV / AVR using free Open Source Audio decoding libraries included with Kodi. No Dolby Audio Licence needed. Prior to Krypton it was possible to passthrough 5.1 DD to a TV / AVR with PVR clients as well.

Any media player that can't play content with Dolby Digital audio as PCM 2.0 is dead in the water. That would mean no DVD ISO/VIDEO_TS playback, no Live/Recorded TV in many countries (particularly the US). It's a non-starter.

Hi, Clementio

Basically, the U5PVR slim type set top with built-in terrestrial ATSC2 twin tuner,
that have to supports Mpeg2-TS and AC3/DD.

Therefore, I can guarantee. Wink

However, I could not confirm U5PVR deluxe type set top of European DVB-T2 / DVB-S2 twin built-in type product.

I have downloaded the TS video with EAC3 Audio video clip link you sent.

I will record test video playback on Monday.

Thx.
(2017-03-18, 13:58)wrxtasy Wrote: Your English is fine BTW Smile

Yes that KII Pro was the device I could not remember the name of that had no Dolby Audio Licence as well. I knew it had Android TV - EAC3 Audio issues.

Personally I would wait till any new box is tested thoroughly for quite a while before jumping into something as complicated as DVB's and PVR - particularly when using it on an Android OS.

EddyLab are sensibly going the much easier route using TvHeadend as the backend inbuilt server like I have seen Ricardo implement with the Android TV ROM for the WeTek Play2.

Hi, wrxtasy.

Thank you for your kind advice. Wink

U5team developed and sold the U4 Quad Hybrid Android Set-top box (Hisilicon Hi3796M quad core) in 2015.

They have built in an independent TVH Server in the U4 Quad Hybrid Android Set-top box. (TVH Server 3.6 custom ver.)

Reference Review Link:
1) U4 Quad Hybrid Android Set-top Box Supports DVB-S2, DVB-T2 / T / C & ATSC Tuners
Http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/01/21/u...sc-tuners/

2) U4 Quad Hybrid Android TV Box Unboxing and Teardown with DVB-T2, DVB-S2 and ATSC Tuners
Http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/01/22/u...2-and-atsc- Tuners /

3) Review of U4 Quad Hybrid Android Set-top box with DVB-T2 / C and DVB-S2 Tuner
Http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/04/05/r...-s2-tuner/

I have found that product that works perfectly with U4 Quad Hybrid broadcast set-top with PVR function.

After that, I participated in custom FW development in the next generation U5PVR development products.

- Andrioid TV OS (ATV OS)
- ATV OS and Linux (Debian) simultaneous boot
- Linux based TVH Server # 2
- etc.

There is Two TVH servers are running in U5PVR.

There is an independent TVH # 1 server for U4PVR and a Linux-based TVH # 2 server.

The TVH # 1 server supports U5PVR's built-in physical twin tuner driver.

TVH # 2 server is Ver.4.1 latest TVH Server.
Basically, users can upload desired channel information and support HD Homerun driver.

These two TVH servers can be watched and recorded using TVH Kodi add-on.
And it is possible to watch TVH server channel through Live Channel APP.
(Live Channel APP is not recorded, is under development)

I personally can confidently say that as the Linux (Debian) OS boots up,
it can be used to build and use various Linux-based SWs.

For this reason, the Linux-based Plex media server can also be installed.

However, in consideration of U5PVR's HW performance,
we added only a light functioning Linux server function.

We will be conducting a massive U5PVR beta test in Korea this April.
The U5PVR beta tester is about 150 participants.

During this beta test, we will many bug fixes and add convenient features.

You will be able to see the stabilized version of the FW soon. Wink

Thx.
(2017-03-18, 10:29)zbigzbig20 Wrote: @EddyLab, maybe you have a movie how works netflix on u5pvr (e.g netflix android tv app)?

@ Zbigzbig20

We tested and verified that netflix APP works in U5PVR.
However, it does not work with the ATV netflix app, but only with the regular Android netflix app.

Revision 170324)
U5PVR is only support of Netflix 480P.
Http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2555128

The Amazon prime app is installed and running.
However, video playback is not available.
We need more test again.

Have a nice day
Does the U5PVR come with Widevine Level 1 DRM certificates ?

What Output for example does the DRMInfo Android App give you pls ?

• 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Android] U5PVR Hybrid 4K UHD Broadcast Tuner Set-Top (2017) - UPDATED: 17/05/091