On the Fly transcoding
Greetings,
I currently have a dedicated Mythtv server which works alright but I am getting tired of troubleshooting for days when I find minor issues. I am interested in switching to NextPVR but I am concerned because I read somewhere that NextPVR doesn't do on the fly stream transcoding for Kodi frontends. It was an older post (2012-ish) and I am hoping it might be out of date. So is this the case? Does NextPVR transcode for devices that may be under-powered? The device I am thinking about specifically is a Raspberry Pi 2 I am running Kodi as a frontend on in my bedroom. The backend would be running on an Intel NUC running (presumably) Windows 10. I wanted to get confirmation on that before I waste $100+ bucks on a copy of windows 10 for my server. Thank you in advance,

Acc
What broadcast tv do you think the pi won't handle? It has hardware decoding for mpeg2 and h264.

Anyway what problems are you having with mythtv?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
What problem are you having with Mythtv:
Right now transcoding (after the recording, I end up with 8-10 GB 1 hour TV shows) issues. Mythweb reports an "unrecoverable error". I also hate that it names files some funny date-time-chanid name and I have to find another script to rename it to a format acceptable to Kodi (I keep my TV shows). Transcoding issues are probably related to FFMPEG or whatever it is called. Other than trancoding it works perfectly across all devices. I figured a more simple solution would be Nextpvr with MCEBuddy. I might be disillusion-grass is greener mentality with nextpvr, but I just hope nextpvr doesnt have some of the issues mythtv had. When I first downloaded mythtv/mythbuntu I had to go in and manually correct misspelled strings in mysql scripts just to get the mythbuntu control center working.

So you are saying I shouldnt see any issue wathcing Live TV (or recordings) on a openelec Rasp. Pi 2?
I see no reason to transcode at all. Pretty well all broadcast TV is either mpeg2 or h264, both of which RPi can play more than adequately. (You should buy the mpeg2 codec for your pi if your TV is mpeg2.)

There may be a few places in the world that have gone hevc and/or 4k, but I guess you'll know if that is so for you.

So I would try mythtv without the transcoding, and see if it meets your needs before you change!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Agree with nickr. I have a RaspberryPi1 Model B+ and I do not need to transcode my recordings on TVHeadend.

I have my recording and streaming settings in pass-through mode (no transcoding).

I have the MPEG2 and VC-1 License keys for my RaspberryPi.

Most of the terrestrial TV where I am is in MPEG2 and it works fine with my setup.
No, NextPVR doesn't transcode when streaming to a Kodi client.

As mentioned above, the RPi should be capable of watching the native streams though.
(2017-01-28, 15:54)Accomidus Wrote: Greetings,
I currently have a dedicated Mythtv server which works alright but I am getting tired of troubleshooting for days when I find minor issues. I am interested in switching to NextPVR but I am concerned because I read somewhere that NextPVR doesn't do on the fly stream transcoding for Kodi frontends. It was an older post (2012-ish) and I am hoping it might be out of date. So is this the case? Does NextPVR transcode for devices that may be under-powered? The device I am thinking about specifically is a Raspberry Pi 2 I am running Kodi as a frontend on in my bedroom. The backend would be running on an Intel NUC running (presumably) Windows 10. I wanted to get confirmation on that before I waste $100+ bucks on a copy of windows 10 for my server. Thank you in advance,

Acc
I've been running nextPVR on a Windows server & Kodi on an RPi for a year without transcoding. Some live HDTV shows require bandwidth of up to 15 Mbs and the RPi has no problem handling it.

Sent from my GT-P3113

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
On the Fly transcoding0