Win Converting to Portable Mode
(2017-03-13, 05:17)crazy-c Wrote: Hi Guys, interesting reading. I have a question if someone could answer. I have had XBMC/Kodi installs for many years. Just recently I created a portable install while trying out a new skin and mods. I love it and also love what the portable install is. For any future playing/testing I will a the portable install. Now with that being said I have a bloated primary install which I will no longer be using as everything has been migrated to the portable install.
How do i remove the portable ?. Is it as simple as just running the uninstall.exe within that installation. I have looked everywhere and cant see anything that mentions it.
Many thanks in advance for a reply
Easiest way to remove a portable install:
1. Navigate to the folder it's installed in.
2. Delete the whole folder.
3. delete any shortcuts.
And to be extra thorough:
4. Empty the recycle bin.

That's it. Everything except shortcuts is in that folder.
(2017-03-13, 08:37)trogggy Wrote: Easiest way to remove a portable install:
1. Navigate to the folder it's installed in.
2. Delete the whole folder.
3. delete any shortcuts.
And to be extra thorough:
4. Empty the recycle bin.

That's it. Everything except shortcuts is in that folder.
Thanks for that Troggy, I was actually wanting to keep the portable install and remove the old bloated install. From this point on I will just run portable installs...So if i uninstall the original Kodi will that screw up my portable
(2017-03-13, 08:47)crazy-c Wrote: Thanks for that Troggy, I was actually wanting to keep the portable install and remove the old bloated install. From this point on I will just run portable installs...So if i uninstall the original Kodi will that screw up my portable
No, it won't (shouldn't!) touch it.
The process is exactly the same so presumably all the installer does is:
- deletes everything in %APPDATA% / Kodi
- deletes everything in C:\programfilesx86\Kodi (or wherever you installed to / the uninstaller is sitting)
- deletes shortcuts

There isn't anything else - you can do it manually if you want to.

Edit: maybe it removes firewall rules? Maybe I'll think of something else it might do...? Just run the uninstaller and don't worry about it. If you really want to be safe make a zip from your portable folder, or copy the whole folder off the pc. Never a bad idea anyway.
(2017-03-13, 05:17)crazy-c Wrote: Hi Guys, interesting reading. I have a question if someone could answer. I have had XBMC/Kodi installs for many years. Just recently I created a portable install while trying out a new skin and mods. I love it and also love what the portable install is. For any future playing/testing I will a the portable install. Now with that being said I have a bloated primary install which I will no longer be using as everything has been migrated to the portable install.
How do i remove the portable ?. Is it as simple as just running the uninstall.exe within that installation. I have looked everywhere and cant see anything that mentions it.
Many thanks in advance for a reply

I could be mistaken, but being that it's portable, to uninstall all you need to do is simply delete the directory of the portable install. But, all of your settings files are there and will be deleted as well.
Hi, I think I have the same issue as the original poster, but want to make certain before I make irreversible damage to my system!

I have a regular install which no longer functions like I want to, but a portable one that does. So I want to get rid of the regular install, and make my portable one into a regular. What do I do?

And just to be sure, I don't want the existing regular install to survive, only the portable one. Then, I want to make a new regular install that behaves like my present portable one. Then I guess I can mess around with my portable one without harming the new regular install?
Just do the reverse of https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2511861 however delete the contents if the appdata Kodi folder first so it is still present but empty.

But make sure to make a copy of the "portable_data" folder and save it somewhere safe just in case anything goes wrong.
Is portable mode the best to use for multiple Windows devices?

I have four PCs (two HTPCs, one desktop and a laptop) that I run Kodi on, and I'd really like to be able to just copy a bunch of files across from one to the next. They all run Windows 8.1 but have different graphics/audio components.

I'm thinking I could set one up, copy the whole portable folder to my NAS and delete the advancedsettings entries that relate to specifics - for example audio - so that I have a 'vanilla' Kodi for deployment to the other PCs.

Would this method bring across add-ons/profiles/MySQL - I am guessing it would?

The next question would then be how to migrate across versions - e.g. from Jarvis (my current installs) to Krypton. Set one up from scratch and do the same I suppose?
(2017-09-15, 10:43)Yearofthegoat Wrote: Is portable mode the best to use for multiple Windows devices?
Best as in easiest, yes. It's no different to a standard (non-MS store) install except that everything's in one folder - which makes copying across easier.
Quote:I have four PCs (two HTPCs, one desktop and a laptop) that I run Kodi on, and I'd really like to be able to just copy a bunch of files across from one to the next. They all run Windows 8.1 but have different graphics/audio components.

I'm thinking I could set one up, copy the whole portable folder to my NAS and delete the advancedsettings entries that relate to specifics - for example audio - so that I have a 'vanilla' Kodi for deployment to the other PCs.
In theory that will work.
Quote:Would this method bring across add-ons/profiles/MySQL - I am guessing it would?
Yes. Just make sure all paths are the same. There are 2 obvious ways it can fall down:
1. You stick the portable folder in a different location on different pc's;
2. You're using local paths to point to media on 1 machine that won't work when your folder is on a different one.
Easy enough to avoid by:
- using the same location for the kodi folders
- using pathsubs in advancedsettings.xml if necessary.
Quote:The next question would then be how to migrate across versions - e.g. from Jarvis (my current installs) to Krypton. Set one up from scratch and do the same I suppose?
That.
I install a new major version separately on each pc; for minor jumps I install on one and copy across. As long as you have a backup of the portable_data folder you can't break anything, so making one before an update is never a bad idea.
Edit: I may have misunderstood this. You don't normally need to start from scratch going up a version. Just install over the old version, start kodi and give it plenty of time to update databases / addons (ie walk away!). Going down a version is a different story.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Converting to Portable Mode0