OS X Overheating and Kodi 17
Since I switched to version 17 RC4 my Mac Mini overheats after a few minutes I watch a video. Why?
This thing doesn't happen with Kodi 16.1.
I haven't seen over heating issues but I have noticed my mac mini 2010 runs the cpu at full capacity with no dips using kodi 17.
I spoke to soon, playing SD copies of one piece sends it into "buffering" fits over and over, file is on local disk.
Kodi 17 uses sooo much CPU. I have never ever heard my MacBook Air's fan before, on Kodi 16, but on 17 even when browsing for videos or just browsing through the interface my fan immediately starts running. I'm on a MacBook Air early 2015, OS X Sierra, on an external monitor (1440p).
Same here on my 15" MacBook Pro running Krypton and OS X Sierra with latest updates. Doesn't matter if I'm watching anything or if Kodi is just open and "idle" in the background.
Yeah, it doesn't matter if I'm on my external monitor or not (at first I thought the mirroring was the culprit, but no). Kodi 17 consistently uses more CPU for everything. A lot more CPU, such that my fan starts running, which I never ever hear otherwise.

BUT! Now I have a new clue. Kodi 16 also uses more CPU when pausing a video. More CPU when pausing than when actually playing the video. Same thing happens, the fan starts running when I pause a video, but not when I'm playing it. Maybe it's useful. Just saying..
An it also happens when a long video title is scrolling in the list view, or when the RSS news is scrolling (I always turn that off because of this).
Based on a fix I saw in RC1: Go to video settings and disable "Dithering"

My 2013 MBP had been running at 100% cpu, this fixed it.

Based on this: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/11685
(2017-02-27, 03:51)rosh325 Wrote: Based on a fix I saw in RC1: Go to video settings and disable "Dithering"

My 2013 MBP had been running at 100% cpu, this fixed it.

Based on this: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/11685

Turning dithering off also solves erratic cooling when in menus and when playback is paused.
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
I'm on Kodi 17 RC1 and dithering is off by default but I still hear my fan running. Going back to Kodi 16 again Sad
I've got MacBook Pro 13 early 2015 . Never used Kodi before , but I installed Kodi 17 .
The problem is that when I have kodi opened , doesn't matter if I'm watching movie or exploring internet , when it's opened CPU usage jumps to 25 % or more for a while and fan speed to 3000+ rpm .
I never heard macbook's fan before . While using database, IDE , and VM with programs opened in it , music in background etc. fan speed never reached over 1300 rpm. What is a problem ? ( I turned off dithering , and there is still a problem )
Sorry for my English , I'm still learning :p
I typically see this issue (fan blowing hard) on my macbook air if the kodi video is paused or if the kodi is not on the displayed desktop. i.e. Kodi is running on desktop 2 and I have desktop 1 on the macbook screen. I dont believe i have heard the fan blowing before kodi was installed.
Same here , I'll try with kodi 16 maybe .
(2017-03-20, 20:58)quayrd Wrote: I typically see this issue (fan blowing hard) on my macbook air if the kodi video is paused or if the kodi is not on the displayed desktop. i.e. Kodi is running on desktop 2 and I have desktop 1 on the macbook screen. I dont believe i have heard the fan blowing before kodi was installed.

Same here on an a mac mini. i am not sure its ffmpeg related.
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
I turned off Dithering but the video quality was terrible so turned it on again.

Again, in my case the fan speed is not an issue if Kodi is running on the main displayed desktop. Only an issue if I swipe to another desktop and the kodi video is playing (or paused) in the non primary/displayed desktop. So i just live with it and try to make sure I stop the video or dont let kodi play unattended for too long.

Thank you
This could probably be this: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=295460&page=2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Overheating and Kodi 170