Problem & Fix for scraping "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" via TheTVDB
Hi all. Just a kind of query of sorts.

I just added a few more Series to my Kodi installation, all went smooth apart from 1 Series in particular, being "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"

My naming convention is setup as it should be and with 23 other Series, with which I have had no problem scanning into the library, all has been well.

My Naming is as follows (example given on the problem here)

E:\Media\TV Shows\The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990)\Season 1\The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - S01E01 - The Fresh Prince Project.mkv
E:\Media\TV Shows\The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990)\Season 1\The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - S01E02 - Bang the drum, Ashley.mkv

All filenames are scraped with a tool which uses TheTVDB naming database.

I got the following result in the debug log:

Code:
DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Skipping dir 'E:\Media\TV Shows\Star Trek - The Original Series (1966)\' due to no change
22:20:11.002 T:1456   DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: No NFO file found. Using title search for 'E:\Media\TV Shows\The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990)\'
22:20:11.002 T:1456   DEBUG: ADDON::CScraper::FindMovie: Searching for 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' using The TVDB scraper (path: 'C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\metadata.tvdb.com', content: 'tvshows', version: '1.8.4')
22:20:11.006 T:1456   DEBUG: scraper: CreateSearchUrl returned <url cache="cache-The%20Fresh%20Prince%20of%20Bel-Air%20(1990)-en.xml">http://thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=The%20Fresh%20Prince%20of%20Bel-Air%20(1990)&amp;language=en</url>
22:20:11.006 T:1456   DEBUG: scraper: GetSearchResults returned <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?><results></results>
22:20:11.006 T:1456   DEBUG: ADDON::CScraper::FindMovie: Searching for 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' using The TVDB scraper (path: 'C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\metadata.tvdb.com', content: 'tvshows', version: '1.8.4')
22:20:11.006 T:1456   DEBUG: scraper: CreateSearchUrl returned <url cache="cache-The%20Fresh%20Prince%20of%20Bel%20Air-en.xml">http://thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=The%20Fresh%20Prince%20of%20Bel%20Air&amp;language=en</url>
22:20:11.007 T:1456   DEBUG: scraper: GetSearchResults returned <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?><results></results>
22:20:11.007 T:1456 WARNING: No information found for item 'E:\Media\TV Shows\The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990)\', it won't be added to the library.
22:20:11.030 T:1456   DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Skipping dir 'E:\Media\TV Shows\The King of Queens (1998)\' due to no change

I played around a bit with the URL and it turns out that the series cannot be found with the added Year included (on the first try)
On the 2nd try though, Kodi (?) tries a different search pattern and excludes the Year, but if you look carefully it also excludes the hyphen between "Bel-Air", making it "Bel Air", and because of that missing hyphen, the search result also fails.If you paste the link and delete the space between "Bel Air" and put a hyphen inbetween, you will get a result.

My question is, does one normally include the YEar with TV series? I thought yes, same with Movies, but now I'm not sure, as adding the year on any search query nothing gets found. If that's the case I'll remove all years from my structuring. If one can leave the year, why does Kodi try the search without the hyphen?

I know this is probably a very rare and random "glitch" but thought it might be good to make someone aware of this as possibly there are other Series which may be affected?

Kind regards
You only include the year if it is part of the title on tvdb. It usually only has the year if necessary to distinguish 2 shows of the same name, eg Battlestar Galactica and Battlestar Galactica (2003). Doctor Who and Doctor Who (2005) etc.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Ah right, many Thanks, will do this going forward!

Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem & Fix for scraping "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" via TheTVDB0