[PATCH] LCD/VFD support via LCDproc for XBMC Linux port
Gamester17 Wrote:Too bad no one on Team-XBMC got a LCD or VFD in their HTPC chassi.

...but please keep the feedback coming as to which displays work Big Grin

Would this be helpful? Is there a US based Dev that would be willing to work with it? Maybe this would be better?

The first one is in my case but the one being sold there may not have the USB interface mine came with. If there's on in particular out there that looks good for support, USB preferably IMO, and a dev who wants to take it on I might be willing to buy one. I'm not often in this section of the forum so PM me if there's interest.
Quote:I just committed this patch. I'm not sure that we treat different sizes of LCD in the code or not. Can people verify that this is indeed true?

Mine is a 2x40 USB display found in the Antec Fusion case. and i think the treatment is right. In fact it looks great. :-D Only few things i would maybe change...

The handling is maybe done in LCDproc, where the driver for the VFD is specified and so it's size is known. Just an idea...
Yes as long as LCDproc supports the LCD then it should work. LCDproc will also handle the different sizes so if xbmc sends 4 lines to LCDproc and you only have a 2 line display it will know to only display the first 2 lines.

Unfortunately the LCDproc driver I have for my USB LCD (2 line) does not support contrast/brightness yet so I couldn't add in support for either setting. I'll see if I can pick another one up from eBay and get that implemented.
Cool, thanks
I've got a silverstone lc16m case (imon 2 line vfd) gave this a whirl last night with current svn. Is it supposed to display anything other than the time? Mythtv displays menus and video info such as channel and recording status but xbmc only displays the current time.

I'm not asking for support or reporting a bug. I was just wondering if anything other than the time should be being displayed?

cheers for the patch!
ok i think i just answered my own question by looking at a couple of files in the svn. It is now my understanding there is a system setting in xbmc to turn on support.
Is it just me, or is the VFD/LCD not working anymore with the latest build?!? It just displays a blinking "cursor" and no information...
Oh my, forgot to rename lcd.xml! Sorry, forget my last post...
Hi,

After (finally) getting my iMon VFD working, I wanted to do more customizations (via lcd.xml).

While looking at my syslog i've noticed a couple of errors repeating themselves:

Code:
Jun 14 21:32:22 mediapc LCDd: Invalid command from client on socket 5: ^N .^H
Jun 14 21:32:22 mediapc LCDd: error: huh? Invalid command "^H"
Jun 14 21:32:22 mediapc LCDd: Invalid command from client on socket 5: ^H
Jun 14 21:32:22 mediapc LCDd: error: huh? Invalid command ".^H"
Jun 14 21:32:22 mediapc LCDd: Invalid command from client on socket 5: .^H
Jun 14 21:32:22 mediapc LCDd: error: huh? Could not parse command

I've figured that ^N should be for a new line maybe ?
But should'nt that be \n on linux (or maybe it's just an LCDProc issue)?

Can anyone point me to the location in the source so I could change it from ^N to \n to see if it behaves differently.
Sure thing:

xbmc/linux/XLCDproc.cpp

The errors could very well be in the code as it's just a basic implementation of a LCDProc client.
Duduke Wrote:Hi,

After (finally) getting my iMon VFD working, I wanted to do more customizations (via lcd.xml).

While looking at my syslog i've noticed a couple of errors repeating themselves:

Code:
Jun 14 21:32:22 mediapc LCDd: Invalid command from client on socket 5: ^N .^H
Jun 14 21:32:22 mediapc LCDd: error: huh? Invalid command "^H"
Jun 14 21:32:22 mediapc LCDd: Invalid command from client on socket 5: ^H
Jun 14 21:32:22 mediapc LCDd: error: huh? Invalid command ".^H"
Jun 14 21:32:22 mediapc LCDd: Invalid command from client on socket 5: .^H
Jun 14 21:32:22 mediapc LCDd: error: huh? Could not parse command

I've figured that ^N should be for a new line maybe ?
But should'nt that be \n on linux (or maybe it's just an LCDProc issue)?

Can anyone point me to the location in the source so I could change it from ^N to \n to see if it behaves differently.

Did you ever get this fixed? I just installed XBMC for the first time on ubuntu, configured lcdproc and I get following messages:

Invalid command from client on socket 5: .
error: huh? Could not parse command

error: huh? Could not parse command

My VFD changes from displaying "XBMC running..." to the default LCDPROC message and then back to XBMC

I installed the latest SVN version
If anyone is interested in getting a hold of some LCDs that doesn't have them built into their case, take a look here:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?c=148

I used to use those back when I was making embedded systems projects. Pretty handy and cheap LCDs. They even have multiple colors (in monochrome, so white text on black background, or red text on black background, etc). They even have color OLED screens and such (to see them you have to change the category on the left side).

So yeah, this might be a good place to pick up a cheap display and have some fun.

I was thinking of mounting one of these into my case and sticking a cheap processor on the back so that it would display the time when the PC was off (like a "real" DVD player) but would bypass that functionality when the machine was on and it was receiving data from XBMC or whatever.

Anyways, good job, keep it up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] LCD/VFD support via LCDproc for XBMC Linux port0