Silly question on TV Shows
Hello,

I have never added tv shows to ember due to the fact that I have so many shows and tons of episodes that it would take forever.. just to add them, much less scrape them all, I do use it for all my movies though.

So my silly question is, does Ember scrape all TV shows and episodes using IMDb and include scraping of the full cast? I ask because if it does, then its worth re-scraping all 250 of my shows with about 10,000 episodes, as you can imagine this will take forever so want to be sure what the tv scraper does before I attempt it. Currently I simply use the TVDB scraper in Kodi, but It never shows the roles of the guest stars nor does it ever list the full cast.

Thanks for any answers or help!
My Madnox Mods | Nox Version Guide
---------------------------------------------------------------
Movie Logo Requests | Studio Logo Requests
Logo's Made So Far:
Ember does only automatically scrape episodes without NFO while DB-update. And only if an unique ID of the show itself is known (TVDB, IMDB, TMDB ID). If no episode and no tv show NFO is available then Ember only adds the entires to DB without any scraping or file creating process.

Ember has an IMDB scraper for tv shows in latest Alpha version, but I would not use it. IMDB is slow (no open API) and we have to download and parse the webpage for each episode. But it works, you only have to be patient ;-)
The TVDB scraper does also allow to scrape all guest stars of an episode. There is also an option the add all guest stars to the actors list (Kodi does not support separate guest stars list). Full Crew has been removed from IMDB scraper (movie and tv shows). That are to much webpages and entries to parse (who needs a list with any makeup artist??).

TMDB also have a bad API for tv shows (to many calls to get all informations). I whould use TMDB only for tv show and season information, not for episode information. Next Alpha will reduce the API calls, but the API is still to bad to get all informations for tv shows.
OK. thank you Dan for the info, Yeah I don't care about the crew, just the full cast, I guess I'll have to decide how patient I am to have 10,000 episodes scraped lol

thanks again for the info!
Logo's Made So Far:
Are there already some NFOs for tv shows and episodes? Otherwise you can export the databse from Kodi to create the infos that Kodi already use.
Yes I have separate NFO for all tv shows, episodes and movies.
Logo's Made So Far:
Also, on a side note, not sure if this will help but.. you said that Ember has to parse the entire IMDb web page.. IMDb is getting rid of their message boards.. all of them.. so If you literally mean the entire web page, that should speed that part up I would think?
Logo's Made So Far:
No, not the entire web page, but:
- the tv show page to get the tv show information and the URL to the season list page
- the season list page the get each season page
- each season page to get each episode page URL
- each episode page to get the episode information

And that for a tv show like The Simpsons with > 20 season and hundreds episodes.... :-(
Ahh ok, I just figured that as the message boards are on every single tv show page and every episode page, that may speed it up.

Yeah that's allot of fetches lol
Logo's Made So Far:
Sorry, I do not understand...
No biggie was not that important, thanks again for the help Dan!
Logo's Made So Far:
To bad TVDB does a poor job listing guest stars in episodes. I have around 300 shows and I think there is only a few of them that got full attention, and that is starting to annoy me more that it should..
(2017-06-17, 15:52)neohasse Wrote: To bad TVDB does a poor job listing guest stars in episodes. I have around 300 shows and I think there is only a few of them that got full attention, and that is starting to annoy me more that it should..

You could always sign up and help out!
(2017-06-17, 23:57)Fail$tyle420 Wrote:
(2017-06-17, 15:52)neohasse Wrote: To bad TVDB does a poor job listing guest stars in episodes. I have around 300 shows and I think there is only a few of them that got full attention, and that is starting to annoy me more that it should..

You could always sign up and help out!

Sure. Or let us scrape episodes from IMDB.
(2017-06-20, 16:43)neohasse Wrote: Or let us scrape episodes from IMDB.

You can already do this
(2017-06-20, 16:54)komplex Wrote:
(2017-06-20, 16:43)neohasse Wrote: Or let us scrape episodes from IMDB.

You can already do this

Just disable tvdb and use imdb only, or set imdb as first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Silly question on TV Shows0