v18 Music Video Support
To Kodi Dev Team (Kodi 18):

If there is just one fix that's needed for Kodi 18 Music please let it be to properly support Music Videos (specifically Music Video Concerts really).

Currently there is a bit of a hack to group individual music videos (songs) by using NFOs and a tag <Album> (All Music Videos with the Same <Album> tag get grouped together. However:

- There is no JSON query that returns Music Video 'Albums' hence there is no Remote App that supports Music Videos by enabling an 'Album' view.
- No Kodi 17 Skins that I've seen support the 'Album' view either (is there a Music Video Album node? - in most I get to see ALL my music videos sorted by Song which is useless especially with 200 odd concerts (I have 200 songs starting with 01. ...)

A little bit of work would solve these issues (I think).

Support for Artist thumbnails requires the Music Video Artist to be in the Kodi Music (Audio) Library. This does not always happen - I have a few Music Video Concerts where the Artist is not in my Audio Library. Maybe Kodi can support an 'artist.jpg' for music videos? (i.e. use 'artist.jpg' from the Music Concert folder if it exists).

I don't think we need a total redesign of Music Videos (otherwise it will never get done). Let's just implement something that works with how the data is scrapped and stored now. We just need to finish/tweak a few views.

Dave? Can you please give this some priority for Kodi 18? There are many Kodi user affected by this.

THX
Garry
Photo 
After posting on the Kodi Music thread discussing a re-think for Kodi Music a had a 'play' with creating a Kodi Remote Control App for Music Videos to see how JSON worked and I got to this.

The first view Music Videos (Concerts) is based on Kodi Music Video 'Album' grouping takes a fair bit of post processing since JSON returns songs/music video titles NOT Albums (Music Video Concerts/Disc) - this really needs to be fixed in Kodi 18 (please)

All the screen shots are what users will see on the remote control device (not in Kodi). Any music video song/concerts or audio song/album can be selected on the remote device to play in Kodi (users will create Playlists which queues the songs for sequential playback - the Playlists can me modified/reordered at anytime).

All these are for Music Video (Concert) related views. All the graphics comes from Kodi for display on the remote control device. I used the 'artist.jpg' hack in my previous post so the I could see artist thumbnails for all artist (not just the ones in my Audio library!)

Music Videos (Concerts) - showing 'folder.jpg' for each Music Concert folder:

Music Video (after selecting a Music Video) - shows all the individual music files (with nfo):

Artists View (shows audio library artist thumbnail OR artist.jpg if the artist is not in the music library):

Artist View (after selecting an artist):

I'll probably never finish this but its an example of what user could see in future Apps that when Kodi supports Music Concerts.

Come on you Music Video Lovers. Post in this thtread to get something changed for Kodi 18.
(2017-02-09, 05:09)HomerJau Wrote: Dave? Can you please give this some priority for Kodi 18? There are many Kodi user affected by this.
Come on you Music Video Lovers. Post in this thread to get something changed for Kodi 18.
Garry, I'm sure music videos are a things some users have and play, the problem is that I don't. I do try to rise above pure selfish interest, fix bugs etc. and serve the community, but it is really hard when there is already lots to do, time is short, and I don't even own a single music video.

I understand your enthusiasm and frustration, I really do, similar lead me into doing what I do. New features get developed in Kodi when someone with the skills and interest volunteers, does the design and coding, submits the change and finds some other devs to review and approve it (or not). The number of users that want something is both impossible to judge (people here is not a valid sample), and really isn't what drives Kodi.

But the clearer you can paint out what is needed, then the more likely I am to be able to do something. And I am happy to collablorate with anyone that wants to volunteer on this, that is probably the best approach since I just don't have enough hours in the day or personal interest in this topic.
I use music videos a lot in kodi. I use Transparency as my skin. The thing about music videos is that it's somewhere between music and music videos. In both the music library and the video library I have an album view following the artist however, meaning I pick an artist and then I get a list of the albums and in the albums I get a list of the individual music videos of that album.

I have ripped my music concerts to seperate music video files (mostly in mp4 format) to mimic the "normal" album behaviour.

In Yatse I indeed only get one large list of all my music videos in the music section of Yatse. A seperate music video section is not available. Not perfect but acceptable, my workaround is to use the remote to pick my music videos with the tv running, since I want to watch them on my tv anyway.
(2017-02-09, 16:44)DaveBlake Wrote: [quote='HomerJau' pid='2520499' dateline='1486609773']...

But the clearer you can paint out what is needed, then the more likely I am to be able to do something. And I am happy to collablorate with anyone that wants to volunteer on this, that is probably the best approach since I just don't have enough hours in the day or personal interest in this topic.

Thanks for the feedback Dave.

I don't mind looking into adding a new Kodi JSON RPC method to return 'Music Video Albums'. Can you please point me to the Kodi source module so I can take a look at how existing JSON RPC methods have been implemented in Kodi (PM).
Well for starters I guess you will need to look here:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...types.json
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...thods.json
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...ibrary.cpp

The actual fetch of data will happen in
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...tabase.cpp

See how far you can get, and I'll try to be supportive Smile
Thanks Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Video Support0