Freezes and stuttering in Kodi 17
I use Kodi with OSMC with Raspberry Pi 2 and Ethernet cable. It has always worked very well and I very much appreciate the effort the Kodi team puts in.

With the upgrade to Kodi 17 however many problems have arisen. Nothing else in my setup has changed.

Videos are now randomly freezing and stuttering, more frequently for HD content.
It takes longer to start a video. Does v17 buffer more than v16?
The TV "resets" itself when starting and stopping video play. I was able to disable this feature in the settings.

FYI, the upgrade process to Kodi 17 didn't work well. I had to log into the console and issue a reboot command after the process stuck for a very long time.

Are the hardware requirements different for Kodi 17 than 16?

Any suggestions, what can I do? Huh
Disable adjust refresh rate.
Thanks, but that feature was already disabled.

I switched my Raspberry Pi 2 to a Raspberry Pi 3 to see if more processing power would help, but the freezes when watching video persist.

If I have to guess I'd say the buffering in Kodi doesn't work no more, as a percentage spinner sometimes appear when freezing.

The media files are on my NAS, it transfers data > 100 MB/s.

This sure looks like a bug in Kodi 17. Sad
Try a complete OSMC reinstall.
I'm having the same issue since the Krypton update on my RPi3.

Turning off the frame-rate adjust has had a small improvement but not much.

Guess I'll have to give the full reinstall a go later, and let you know how it goes.
I have a done a lot of experimenting by installing old versions and found a couple of bugs in Kodi 17.

1. Kodi 17 upgrade deletes /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml. I've verified this in my experiments.
    This file needs to be recreated as it is crucial to configuring buffers.

2. Kodi 17 renames some of the XML configuration entities so even if you recreate your old advancedsettings.xml, it still won't work. See http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v17_(Krypton)...ml_changes
So this file is what I came up with and it resolved my problems: Smile

Code:
osmc@osmc:~/.kodi/userdata$ cat advancedsettings.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <!-- Do not modify! These are OSMC Optimised Settings for your device  !-->
  <!-- If you wish to override any of these values, then create a file in /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml !-->
  <!-- It will override these settings, and your settings will be preserved across OSMC updates !-->
<advancedsettings>
    <network>
        <buffermode>1</buffermode> <!-- Comment: Default is 1 -->
        <memorysize>41943040</memorysize> <!-- Comment: Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB -->
        <readfactor>1.0</readfactor> <!-- Comment: Default is 1.0 -->
    </network>
    <cache>
        <buffermode>1</buffermode>
        <memorysize>41943040</memorysize>
        <readfactor>1.0</readfactor>
    </cache>
    <imageres>540</imageres>
    <fanartres>720</fanartres>
    <splash>false</splash>
    <handlemounting>0</handlemounting>
    <samba>
       <clienttimeout>30</clienttimeout>
    </samba>
</advancedsettings>

osmc@osmc:~/.kodi/userdata$

I left the obsolete <network> tag (replaced with <cache>), you can probably delete this section. If the memory size is set too big for you, try 20971520.

Hope this helps everybody else having the same problem and hope the Kodi team fixes this.
I don't understand why you would want to delete config files and break backwards compatibility... Huh
I have the same problem with LibreElec. Mostly watching LiveTV. I'm using Milhouse builds but haven't been able to find where it started. I think about a month or two ago, but that is just a guess.
But I'm using wireless connection and even though it have been working perfect for almost a year I don't think it is fully supported by Kodi, because the answer I get is to get a wired connection. So I have kind of given up on trying to get more help and solve it. Maybe others have the same problem with different setups and it will be fixed some day.

Will try these settings and see if it gets better.
(2017-02-11, 11:44)raptorjr Wrote: But I'm using wireless connection and even though it have been working perfect for almost a year I don't think it is fully supported by Kodi, because the answer I get is to get a wired connection.

Perhaps neighbours have started using wifi more which will reduce your wireless bandwidth.
Problem with wireless is it only gets worse with time as more people use it.

For your problem, set the Pi up close enough to router to plug in an ethernet cable?
Do you still have the problem? If not it is wireless related.
If problem still exists then it's not not wireless related. If it is a problem that didn't exist in the past then identifying the milhouse build when it started would be very useful.
(2017-02-11, 13:50)popcornmix Wrote: Perhaps neighbours have started using wifi more which will reduce your wireless bandwidth.
Problem with wireless is it only gets worse with time as more people use it.

For your problem, set the Pi up close enough to router to plug in an ethernet cable?
Do you still have the problem? If not it is wireless related.
If problem still exists then it's not not wireless related. If it is a problem that didn't exist in the past then identifying the milhouse build when it started would be very useful.

I'll see what I can do and test with wired connection, but it is not possible to have a wired connection as a permanent solution for that location. I think something must have been changed with Kodi, because it hasn't always been like this. I have 3-5MB/s when transferring files to my Pi3. And recordings don't seem to have this problem, only LiveTV.
And I wouldn't have such a big problem if I get a buffer message now and then for a few seconds. The problem is that Kodi doesn't fill the buffer and resume playback. It totally stops and return to the home screen after a few minutes, or I have to exit manually and restart playback.
Even if it actually is interference messing with me, it can't be bad enough so I loose all connectivity to the WLAN and the backend. I don't get a connection loss message to the backend. File transfers don't quit. And I don't loose connection with SSH if it is active.
(2017-02-09, 10:06)jones894 Wrote: The TV "resets" itself when starting and stopping video play. I was able to disable this feature in the settings.

Hey Jones894, where did you disable this in the settings. I didn't find it.

Thanks
I think it was Adjust display refresh rate to match video: http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos
(2017-02-11, 09:34)jones894 Wrote: I have a done a lot of experimenting by installing old versions and found a couple of bugs in Kodi 17.

1. Kodi 17 upgrade deletes /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml. I've verified this in my experiments.

2. Kodi 17 renames some of the XML configuration entities so even if you recreate your old advancedsettings.xml, it still won't work. See http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v17_(Krypton)...ml_changes

Code:
  <!-- If you wish to override any of these values, then create a file in /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml !-->
  <!-- It will override these settings, and your settings will be preserved across OSMC updates !-->
<advancedsettings>
    <network>
        <memorysize>41943040</memorysize> <!-- Comment: Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB -->
    </network>
    <cache>
    </cache>
    <imageres>540</imageres>
    <splash>false</splash>
    <samba>
    </samba>
</advancedsettings>

I left the obsolete <network> tag (replaced with <cache>), you can probably delete this section. If the memory size is set too big for you, try 20971520.

Hope this helps everybody else having the same problem and hope the Kodi team fixes this.
I don't understand why you would want to delete config files and break backwards compatibility... Huh

The XML file you edited says do not edit.
Put a file in ~/.kodi instead.
(2017-02-11, 09:34)jones894 Wrote: I have a done a lot of experimenting by installing old versions and found a couple of bugs in Kodi 17.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <network>
    </network>
    <cache>
    </cache>
    <imageres>540</imageres>
    <splash>false</splash>
    <samba>
    </samba>
</advancedsettings>

Tried this and Adjust refresh rate was disabled by default.

Any other ideas?
Describe your problem? Does your TV reset itself on video start/stop?
See https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/how-to-subm...t-request/.

A sample and debug log may help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Freezes and stuttering in Kodi 170