VPN with Local Network Shares
I'm running Kodi 17 on an AFTV2. What I would like to do is integrate my iTunes library from my MacBookPro (running OS X 10.11). What would be the best way to accomplish this?

A little background on my setup. I have my iTunes library shared through a DLNA server running on my Mac (EyeConnect). However, I use IPVanish VPN on my AFTV2. When I go and try to add a music source (UPnP), it's not seeing it due to the VPN being active. I'm not keen on opening ports on my router to make my library accessible outside of my home network either. So, is there any way to tell Kodi to look on the local network for my library while connected to the VPN for all other stuff? I did confirm that it's the VPN that is getting in the way, because if I disconnect from the VPN, I can see the share in Kodi just fine.

Am I trying to do the impossible? I have a tendency to do that quite a bit. LOL
Why do you need to use a VPN?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-02-09, 21:53)DarrenHill Wrote: Why do you need to use a VPN?

For privacy reasons.
Kodi has no need for one, at least none that we support here.

But isn't this a question for your VPN provider rather than us?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-02-09, 21:59)DarrenHill Wrote: Kodi has no need for one, at least none that we support here.

But isn't this a question for your VPN provider rather than us?

My work provides content that is only available through a VPN connection. I apologize if this question doesn't belong... I thought it would since basically my question was about how to configure Kodi. My work only has directions for connecting on a PC - but I would rather go through Kodi (as it's easier to see stuff on a 60" TV than a 15" monitor).
We don't normally allow discussions of VPN configuration here, but this may be an exceptional case.

It sounds like something you'd have to configure outside Kodi, as well that kind of thing is normally handled by the underlying OS.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-02-09, 22:40)DarrenHill Wrote: You're more likely to have to configure the VPN than Kodi I'd say, that was my point.

We don't normally allow discussions of VPN configuration here, but this may be an exceptional case.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. I may be at an end as it's the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility client - and I'm not the one with the registered account with Cisco (that would be the network guys at work). I understand what you're saying now though.
Look or search for anything around "split tunnelling". You need a VPN client configuration that leaves local LAN traffic outside the VPN, but then routes WAN traffic through the VPN. There's nothing Kodi can do about that, as the traffic management is handled at the OS level - and, in this case, is intercepted by the VPN client before it gets to the hardware. Kodi just sees "the network connection" as presented from below.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
My work around is to configure my VPN so that it doesn't automatically connect at Android TV box or Kodi start up. That way all normal local network functions, like seeing UPNP devices, works just fine. Also I find that streaming from my Livedrive cloud via FTP works more smoothly without VPN connected. 

There are occasions when VPN is essential, e.g. to get around regional blocks on access to on line resources such as BBC iPlayer from abroad. I just connect manually to the required server when required. When abroad, I usually connect by VPN to my home router for such purposes.  (I pay my TV license, so I should be allowed to access BBC resources anywhere!  grrrr )

I fully understand why this forum, for legal reasons,  does not wish to discuss the use of VPN for "hiding your a**", so that is all I am going to say.

Sorry admin,  if this debut post breaks your rules. I found this strand and your forum when searching  for other solutions to this issue. It looks really useful. Thanks for running it.
Thread moved to off topic.

The usage of VPNs, especially for actions like bypassing geolocks isn't something we support here.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VPN with Local Network Shares0