OS X Building "dependencies" will fail if make runs jobs parallel
On Mac OS 10.12.3 using Xcode 8.2.1 (7.3.2 too) compiling the build dependencies fails if "make -j[N]" is used.
Using "make" only has no problems.
Seems some dependencies not set well on those targets in ${KODI_ROOT}/tools/depends/.

I've tried this on main repository (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git) using the master branch.

Could somebody verify this?

TIA!
try less vague. what fails to build, caused by which dependency? if you cannot analyze post the build log. it's a race, so no guarantee others can trigger the same situation, it all depends on hardware, number of threads and all that jazz.
https://github.com/HofiOne/xbmc/blob/mas...DME.osx.md

3.2 Install Kodi build depends

3.2.a Compiling as 64 bit libraries (recommended for most users)

In order to speedup compilation it is recommended to use make -j$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN) instead of make to compile on all available processor cores.

cd $HOME/Kodi
cd tools/depends
./bootstrap
./configure --host=x86_64-apple-darwin
make

using "make" will succeed
using "make -j[N]" where n > 1 will fail

I was trying on a MBPR with i7 and one with i5 processor
heh. i heard you the first time, and i trust your word. but nobody can fix anything if we cannot see WHAT causes the failure. do
Code:
make -jN &> logfile
then pastebin the log file.
I will attach a logfile tomorrow (as each build could take a very long time), but first I hoped someone will reproduce the problem (to confirm not i was doing something wrong or not my build environment is the reason)
As far as I can remember the failure could happen at different points and on different targets each time I tried to repeat the build (that is why I think it is some kind of target dependency problem, linear build is fine but depending on the available cores the parallel build could fail at different points)
yeah, your analysis is spot on and i am 99% certain it is not build environment related. i wouldn't touch an apple machine unless at gun point personally, so i cannot reproduce, but i can read logs so that's how i can help.
Jenkins builds -j6 each day multiple times. I build -j14 and can confirm that it fails 1 time out of 15 maybe. But i know my way around it Wink (rebuild the single lib that failed - then continue with -j14)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2017-02-10, 08:42)Memphiz Wrote: Jenkins builds -j6 each day multiple times. I build -j14 and can confirm that it fails 1 time out of 15 maybe. But i know my way around it Wink (rebuild the single lib that failed - then continue with -j14)

I used -j4 -j6 -j8, all fail on two different machine :/
As a workaround I've also built the failing lib than retried, but sometimes i had to repeat it several time till succeeded.
What more, seems sometimes the .configuration part completely missed and first I had to run .configure than retry the make on the failing target. :S
(2017-02-10, 01:40)ironic_monkey Wrote: yeah, your analysis is spot on and i am 99% certain it is not build environment related. i wouldn't touch an apple machine unless at gun point personally, so i cannot reproduce, but i can read logs so that's how i can help.

one of the failed builds log can be found here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByYBPn...GMyM2JVSDQ
this is funky. the m4-native and pkg-config-native targets failed instantly. this can possibly be networking issues (likely on the server) combined with the use of ; to separate commands in the makefiles (which won't halt on first error).

the more confusing one is the failure to invoke gcc in the yasm-native target, which i suspect is the same issue
as this
Code:
./configure: line 281: cannot create temp file for here document: Interrupted system call

that looks like this deep doodo in the chroot. just to rule out timing stuff; can you insert a sleep 1 prior to the make invocations in the $(NATIVE) targets in native/Makefile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building "dependencies" will fail if make runs jobs parallel0