How to Delete completely my KOdi on Linux Mint - SOLVED
I tried different ways to delete Kodi on my Linux Mint, but when reinstalling, the " customized background of previous installation " always comes back

How to delete everything

I am using Linux Mint

JF
sudo apt-get remove kodi* and/or sudo apt-get purge kodi* should get rid of it... you may also need to manually rm -f ~/.kodi just to make sure.

I've never uninstalled Kodi completely, so that's my best guess.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
(2017-02-09, 23:11)Prof Yaffle Wrote: sudo apt-get remove kodi* and/or sudo apt-get purge kodi* should get rid of it... you may also need to manually rm -f ~/.kodi just to make sure.

I've never uninstalled Kodi completely, so that's my best guess.

Tks a lot ! Tried bot command that completed correctly

resintalled KOdi doing this :
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi

but when lauching kodi, the customized background still there (with a bunch of thing I don't want).

JF
All users settings are under ~/.kodi so to remove them, remove or rename that directory. Note that if you're running kodi as another special user, the location of that user's home may not be /home/foo ... on Arch for example, the kodi user's home is /var/lib/kodi.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
I'd suspect that you didn't remove the user data, then - the stuff under ~/.kodi - as that may survive a purge and then be picked up by a new installation.

The only question I have would be whether e.g. a "build" (not allowed here) would store data elsewhere that would survive, but that's not relevant if you're installing from the official PPA.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
(2017-02-09, 23:26)Prof Yaffle Wrote: I'd suspect that you didn't remove the user data, then - the stuff under ~/.kodi - as that may survive a purge and then be picked up by a new installation.

The only question I have would be whether e.g. a "build" (not allowed here) would store data elsewhere that would survive, but that's not relevant if you're installing from the official PPA.

Tks !

it was stored in the /home/myprofile/.kodi

:-)
JF From Canada
I have the a similar problem. Kodi worked well then suddenly not. It stopped scanning folders, as I added new stuff and stopped scanning details of series and movies. But guess that is another issue. I opted for removal and re-installation.  Hence my relevant questions. Using Linux Mint 20.2. Please note; Newbie.

1. I did a uninstall first using Software Manager. Did not work.
2. "sudo apt-get remove kodi* and/or sudo apt-get purge kodi* should get rid of it. It did not work the first time around but eventually sudo did it's thing.
3. "you may also need to manually rm -f ~/.kodi". Where do I find this folder. I did a global search but did not find it?
4. I assume this did not do the trick:

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi

5. All users settings are under ~/.kodi. Where do I find this folder. Again I did a search, even simple just "kodi" but dit not find it.
6. Did not find "/home/foo"
7. Found "/var/lib/kodi." once.

I did not, pardon my understanding "root". What am I missing here please?

Regards,

Nico.
(2021-12-26, 00:24)@NicoMills73 Wrote: I did a uninstall first using Software Manager. Did not work.
That's quite weird. I tend to use a quicker way to get rid of a repository in Ubuntu-derived Linux distros. It's ppa-purge. The main points of what the ppa-purge script/tool does:
  • PPA Purge disables a given PPA but doesn’t delete it.
  • If there was a new application (which is not available from any sources other than only the PPA) installed with the given PPA, it is uninstalled.
  • If the PPA upgraded an already installed application, that application will be reverted to the version provided by the official Ubuntu repositories.
  • If you used the PPA to install (not upgrade) a newer version of an application (which is also available from the official Ubuntu repository), using PPA Purge will downgrade the application version to the one available from Ubuntu repositories.

(2021-12-26, 00:24)@NicoMills73 Wrote: All users settings are under ~/.kodi. Where do I find this folder
All folders and files starting with a .dot are set invisible. In your File Manager, pressing CTRL+H should list the invisible folders/files as well.
In the command line, type ls -Al and see all folders/files. Best to create an alias for that command, such as alias ll="ls -Al" and place it in the .bash_aliases file.

(2021-12-26, 00:24)@NicoMills73 Wrote: I did not, pardon my understanding "root". What am I missing here please?
"root" can be two things, depending on the context.
  • Root is the system user in Linux systems that has all administrator rights
  • Root is the starting point of a file system on a storage device. From there on, subfolders are linked to root, and subsubfolders to subfolders. And so on.
Just for the note...

Instead of using sudo apt-get purge kodi* you should use:

sudo apt-get purge kodi\*

In case you are in at the home-folder and that might contain Kodi Crashlogs, the first command will expand "kodi*" to "kodi-crashlog-<date>" which using "kodi\*" will avoid. Letting the command expland "kodi*" will get weird errors on the command line. Wink
(2021-12-26, 00:24)@NicoMills73 Wrote: 3. "you may also need to manually rm -f ~/.kodi". Where do I find this folder. I did a global search but did not find it?

5. All users settings are under ~/.kodi. Where do I find this folder. Again I did a search, even simple just "kodi" but dit not find it.
Two points to mention here:
  • the ~ (tilde) character is an alias for "my home directory" (also held in a variable called HOME). So ~/bin is a shortcut for something like: /home/nico/bin.  If you want to find where your home directory is, simply type "cd" in a command prompt, and you'll end up in your home dir.  Alternatively, use echo $HOME to see what ~ points to.
  • the dot in front of the directory name indicates a hidden directory, so some file browsers may not show it by default (think how Windows hides system files by default).  If you type "ls" to list a directory contents, you won't see hidden dirs/files. Type "ls -a" to list ALL contents.
Hence the command rm -f ~/.kodi (possibly should be rm -rf ~/.kodi) will automatically find that directory containing config settings and scrub them - you won't need to know where it is. However I hope the explanation mentioned there helps in locating it if you wish to find it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Delete completely my KOdi on Linux Mint - SOLVED0