Classical music (composer, year)
(2017-02-22, 11:52)graham-h Wrote: I think you have indeed exposed a bug which when fixed should resolve your original issue of different albums being interpreted differently despite having similar tags.
Wrong, it is just inconsistent tagging.

(2017-02-22, 10:22)beedaddy Wrote: Again, I try to give some more information. Smile

With my settings as described above, I did one more test. The Album is the "Goldberg Variations" from J. S. Bach. Performer is Trevor Pinnock. So, ALBUMARTIST is "Johann Sebastian Bach; Trevor Pinnock" and ALBUMARTISTS is "Johann Sebastian Bach / Trevor Pinnock". opusinfo gives me the following information for the first track:
Code:
ALBUMARTIST=Johann Sebastian Bach; Trevor Pinnock
ALBUMARTISTS=Johann Sebastian Bach / Trevor Pinnock
ARTIST=Johann Sebastian Bach
ARTISTS=Johann Sebastian Bach
COMPOSER=Johann Sebastian Bach
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID=24f1766e-9635-4d58-a4d4-9413f9f98a4c                                        
MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID=24f1766e-9635-4d58-a4d4-9413f9f98a4c
I would expect that the composer would be shown as "Johann Sebastian Bach". But instead, it is shown as "Johann Sebastian Bach; Trevor Pinnock". Oh and before importing the files, the music database was empty. Now, the artist table has the following entries:
Code:
sqlite> SELECT * FROM artist;
1|[Missing Tag]|Artist Tag Missing|||||||||||||
2|Johann Sebastian Bach; Trevor Pinnock|24f1766e-9635-4d58-a4d4-9413f9f98a4c|||||||||||||
3|Trevor Pinnock||||||||||||||
Line 2 has the correct artist id, but the wrong name. This puzzles me.
More information is always good. Seeing the tagging, and I have edited your quote just to show the significant tags, it is clear to me what the issue is. The db entries confirm it.

Kodi is only given one MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID tag value (that for JS Bach), so it takes the names in the ALBUMARTIST tag as that single artist and ingnoree ALBUMARTISTS. The album artist is added first, then when the (song) artist is processed it sees it already has an artist entry with that mbid and leaves it. It also collects that as the mbid for the composer, hence you see "Johann Sebastian Bach; Trevor Pinnock"

The fix - add MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID tag for Trevor Pinnock. Not sure why this was not there if tagging using Picard, but the MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID = 24f1766e-9635-4d58-a4d4-9413f9f98a4c / 66d97594-15fd-49b9-8359-0c014dbe8719

If mbid tags are present then Kodi assumes that they are correct and complete - generally they are going to be applied by software, no hand edited, so this is reasonable. It then processes the other tags given the mbids, so 1 artist mbid tag means Kodi will only look for 1 artist name.

I made improvements in v17, but I am always interested to see what issues users get, and consider if Kodi can be enhanced to work around them. But in artist name parsing is hard to catch everything. The log when you scanned this item may have shown some name-mbid mismatch warmings, but just did its best interpretation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Classical music (composer, year) - by DaveBlake - 2017-02-22, 14:00
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Classical music (composer, year)0