• 1(current)
Intel NUC - Kaby Lake (7th Generation CPU)
Since these are finally hitting the market now, here is an official thread for the 7th generation Intel NUCs:

Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH
Create, edit, and view 4K content across triple 4K displays with the Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH, featuring a dual-core 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor and Intel® Iris™ Plus graphics.

Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNH
Get more storage capacity and truly responsive performance with 4K Ultra HD video and premium content playback with the Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNH featuring a dual-core 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor, up to 32 GB of DDR4 RAM, and a 2.5” drive bay for even more storage space.

Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNK
The Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNH features a dual-core 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor and Intel® Iris™ Plus graphics for truly responsive performance that is ideal for 4K Ultra HD video and premium content playback.

Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH
As an entertainment hub or a digital personal assistant, the Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH, with a dual-core 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i3 processor and 2.5” drive bay for additional storage, has the performance to finish a last-minute presentation, track appointments, and stream the latest movie, with 4K support.

- Intel Core i3-7100U Processor, 2.4GHz, dual-core, 15W TDP
- 2 slots for DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM memory, 1.2V, max. 32GB
- Normal, full-size HDMI 2.0 port
- USB Type-C Port with DisplayPort 1.2
- Intel HD Graphics 620 GPU, 24 EUs (GT2)
- Four USB 3.0 ports (2 on the front, 2 on the rear)
- Intel Gigabit Ethernet LAN adapter
- Intel Wireless-AC 8265 WiFi adapter (802.11ac, dual-band, max. 867 Mbps, Bluetooth 4.2)
- Support for M.2 SSD card (sizes 22×42 and 22×80)
- Slot for a single 2.5″ drive (SSD or HDD, max. 9.5mm thickness)
- Micro SD card reader (support SDXC cards and UHS-I)
- Dual-array microphones on the front panel
- Infrared sensor and 3.5mm audio jack
- Dimensions 115 mm x 111 mm x 51 mm (4.5″ x 4.4″ x 2.0″)

Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNK
With a dual-core 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i3 processor, the Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH offers the performance to be your entertainment hub for streaming the latest movies with 4K support and your digital personal assistant for finishing a last-minute presentation, tracking appointments, and more.

There is a nice review of the first i3 model here:

http://nucblog.net/2017/02/kaby-lake-nuc...-overview/
Some specific HTPC feeback from the review:

Quote:The Kaby Lake NUC should make a nice HTPC due to a couple of reasons. Lively performance, small size and quietness are just a few of them. In addition it has a HDMI 2.0 interface (needed for 4k at 60 Hz) and it features full hardware decoding of H.264 and HEVC video even at 4k resolutions @60 Hz refresh rate. Even 10-bit HEVC video decoding is supported by the hardware. VP9 hardware decoding is also included with both 8 and 10-bit content support.

The Kaby Lake SoC does not support HDMI 2.0 natively, but instead Intel has added a LSPCon that will convert the DisplayPort signal to HDMI 2.0. According to the spec sheet for the MegaChips LSPCon that is used in this NUC the chip should also be able to support High Dynamic Range (HDR). Unfortunately I don’t have a 4k HDR television that I could use to test this now.

I installed LibreELEC 8 Beta version on the NUC and to my surprise most of the things were working straight away, including the WiFi adapter. However, the HD audio passthrough did not seem to work for anything fancier than Dolby Digital or DTS on LE either. It seems this is a known problem with the Intel GPU drivers. I would expect it to be solved in the nearby future as well.

It’s worth noting that support for the 10-bit HEVC decoding on the Kaby Lake GPU is not part of the LibreELEC 8.0 code. Experimental builds do exist that handle the decoding in hardware.
Can anyone tell me if one of these is capable of playing either an HDR10 video or a Dolby Vision video correctly?
HDR10 maybe, Dolby Vision no.
AppleTV 4K, LG 65E6 OLED TV, Marantz NR1606, Harmony Elite
A 7 to 15% speed increase seems really small to me...

Intel really have slowed down in their development recently.
(2017-02-13, 23:40)docwra Wrote: A 7 to 15% speed increase seems really small to me...

Intel really have slowed down in their development recently.

I think we're reaching a limit in the route they were taking to increase performance. You can only make things so small...
I am thinking about getting the NUC7i5BNK. I tried the ASRock BeeBox 7200 and just keep having issues with HDMI 2.0 port not working and not able to play ATMOS. The 1.4 port seems fine. Hope this NUC7i5BNK will work better.
It should do, the NUC's are the gold standard for Media PC's, especially with LibreELEC installed.

Let us know how you get on.
From what I've read the current Intel NUC's might be worse than the ASRock BeeBox as they are HDMI 2.0 only, whereas on the ASRock BeeBox you have that HDMI 1.4 as a fallback. I'm not fully up to date though so there may have been some software updates to resolve the issues.

Just about everything Intel GPU based is having at least some audio problems with HDMI 2.0 ports as Intel stupidly decided to not put native HDMI 2.0 in the GPU, so the board manufacturers are having to use on motherboard Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 LSPCon converters, and the quality of the firmware and the operating system system support of these LSPCon converters seems to be highly variable. So whether it's Intel, ASRock or whoever, then they are totally reliant on the manufacturer of the LSPCon converter to sort any firmware issues out.
Could this be the reason why the delay in the current manufacturing for the i5 and i7 models of the 7th Gen Intel NUC?
(2017-03-28, 13:07)vinz811 Wrote: Could this be the reason why the delay in the current manufacturing for the i5 and i7 models of the 7th Gen Intel NUC?

I have been wondering the same. Looks like SimplyNUC has preproduction i7 now.
Any passive cooling cases coming up?
(2017-04-04, 13:49)P.Kosunen Wrote: Any passive cooling cases coming up?

Yep here is one

https://www.quietpc.com/akasa-newton-s7

And another thinner one:

http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=p...-NUC37-A1B
Just brought the newton-s7 100% happy with it, well worth it
Anybody can comment in the fan noise differences between the i5 and i7 model?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Kaby Lake (7th Generation CPU)1